NEW: Mobius waterproof case with waterproof USB and clip on battery

JooVuu

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
So as you know (we hope) JooVuu.com manufactures the waterproof case. Well today we are announcing we have finally created a back end with a waterproof USB as well. Not only that but we have also created a spare battery that is compatible with the case and just the camera.

Have a look at the pictures before and please feedback. We know the cabling is not the best - this is just a prototype at the moment - but any feedback and suggestions on how to improve the cabling/products etc please let us know.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Attachments

• 20140514160357.jpg
    20140514160357.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 20140514160414.jpg
    20140514160414.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 20140514160418.jpg
    20140514160418.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 20140514160423.jpg
    20140514160423.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 20140514160427.jpg
    20140514160427.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 20140514160433.jpg
    20140514160433.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 230
No1 is functionality, only then comes No2 ( esthetic side ).
If it does the job ( from pics I see it should do ) and the price is right, then look is not that primary.
I believe you could do even more fancier looking solution like having battery and Mobius inside one waterproof shell, this way there will not be such big cable exposed, but this means whole new project, new tooling etc and I belive price would be much higher.
So for now I see its a great job done !

Hi Niko,
Thanks for the feedback. We hope it has the functionality, you can use the addon battery with and without the waterproof case as evidenced, and the battery should allow recording to almost fill a 32gb card. The battery is 2400mAh which can roughly record for 8 hours; and considering a 32gb card can usually record around 6-7 hours depending on various factors his should allow it to fill the card up.

We did look at that design, but then I realised, that does not just start getting expensive for us, but also for people who want a Mobius with those functions. One of the great things about the Mobius is its price, so then starting a new product simply for an extra feature is a bit annoying so we went back to making it compatible with both. We are working on the cable and hope to have a solution for it soon.

Thank you again for the feedback any more by anyone is welcome.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi Niko,
Thanks for the feedback. We hope it has the functionality, you can use the addon battery with and without the waterproof case as evidenced, and the battery should allow recording to almost fill a 32gb card. The battery is 2400mAh which can roughly record for 8 hours; and considering a 32gb card can usually record around 6-7 hours depending on various factors his should allow it to fill the card up.

We did look at that design, but then I realised, that does not just start getting expensive for us, but also for people who want a Mobius with those functions. One of the great things about the Mobius is its price, so then starting a new product simply for an extra feature is a bit annoying so we went back to making it compatible with both. We are working on the cable and hope to have a solution for it soon.

Thank you again for the feedback any more by anyone is welcome.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Yeah, it all comes to value vs demand.

At the moment its a great add-on to existing watwrproof case.

Will the battery pack consist of 3-4 x AA rechargable batteries ( or 4 x AAA ) or its one solid battery?

Last edited:
Hi Niko,
The battery will be lithium polymer and can be recharged through a USB cable. This is to keep weight down.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi Niko,
The battery will be lithium polymer and can be recharged through a USB cable. This is to keep weight down.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Ok. Thanks for clarification.

Ok. Thanks for clarification.

I forgot to add, the battery is waterproof down to 30m.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I've been really pleased to see the ongoing development of the waterproof case system for the Mobius and this new capability offers exciting possibilties for using the camera in new ways.
I mentioned quite some time ago that I have experimented with using the Mobius for wildlife observation and more recently have also been using it occasionally with an external USB battery pack for short term video surveillance on a remote part of my rural property where I've had a particular problem going on. It would be great if the waterproof case system might be available in an optional neutral earth-toned color scheme so as not to draw attention to itself. Even something as simple as all black buttons, gaskets and caps would work for this purpose.

Edit: For all of our ongoing discussions of the need for stealthy dash cams, this feels like it's really the same topic.

Last edited:
Hi Niko,

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I'm assuming the battery pack will output 1A?

Would you happen to have any videos of the camera underwater in action. I have always wanted to get one and toss it in a pool or something to see what it would look like through a camera.

I'm assuming the battery pack will output 1A?
Hi GJHS,
I think so yes, however I will double check and report back.

Would you happen to have any videos of the camera underwater in action. I have always wanted to get one and toss it in a pool or something to see what it would look like through a camera.

Hi CheckYourLights,
If you are referring to just the standard WPC here are two videos:
(proves it is waterproof to 30m)

This one is more interesting:

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi joovuu, will this be compatible with the existing waterproof case as I have just purchased one?

Hi Gomme600,
Yep 100% compatible.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Pre-orders will be opening shortly.

Hi JooVuu,

I just bought a waterproof case from you for use on a crash helmet. For an external power supply, I was going to drill holes in the original back and use silicone to seal them... it only needs to be showerproof on a motorcycle.

Now I see you're bringing this out, I might not bother with my plan and buy one of the waterproof rear ends - except for one question... is there room for another lead to go into the case?

I ask this because I want an external microphone.

I'm going to de-solder the electret microphone from the camera's circuit board. I will then solder some extension wires to the board that exit the camera case. These will extend to the microphone inside the crash helmet.

Hi JOOWUU

I think your extention usb cable should be waterproof on both side....one in the casing, n one out...

+ I think the out plug should be a female USB (waterproofed) so that we can add any standard male usb plug in, to fit any setting that we may have....for external battery packs.

For exemple, with my setting on the motobike, your USB cable (part of your new rear waterproof casing) is much too short for anything I may have external to connect the Mobius to.....I have a 1,80 meter USB cable to go to the external battery pack....

Either you do a waterproof rear end that does accept any mini USB plugs, so that we can fit ours in....or you do a USB cable out of the rear water proof casing that has a female USB plug (that will waterproof any USB standart plugs that we'll fit into)......If you see what I mean ???

Beside that (and out of subject here), I would not refer to the casing as WATERPROOF for DIVING.....there are too many weak points on the casing by which water pressure and mouvements (in the water pressure) will snap the casing in two parts open.....because your waterproofing relys ONLY on a TINY little rubber joint that is between the two thin faces of the casing thightened up together by 2 weak clips, which means, one tiny hair, grain of sand, or else on the rubber joint and that's it, the water will find a way to flush in....

+ as there is no ridges to strengthen and double the sealing, water pressure will snap it open quick...

That is my point of view, I would never take it underwater with the MOBIUS in.......

Even waterproof casing with a door (having ridges) that strengthen the seals, they often end up leaking too....Divers say..."" a waterproof casing is never 100% waterproof, it may be allright for 10 dives, then the 11th it will leak.....In fact it is not a matter of knowing if the leaking will occur, it's a matter of when it will occur....Water's nature always tend to reunite itself to itself """

And, your casing is far from being yet enoughly well ingeniered to support multiple dives....I am not an expert, but I give it 5 meters deep once to snap.....and breakup.... maybe not 5 meters.....

Please let me be not misanderstood here, It's not a bad criticism from me just for the sake of it, it's only a friendly warning for you so that you either improve the sealing on the casing more thightly and firm than it is right now, or you refer to your casing (for the buyers) as weather proof only (humidity, rain n so on) but in no case waterproof for diving with it.......

Except from all that I said (don't take it badly pls), thanks for your good works around the mobius camera....Sure good idea with it's rear end water proofing the mini USB plug, it will be fine for a motorbike dashcam....I'am already using it as such (praying it does'nt rain, so easy, in southeast of France we do not have the British weather, heheheheee), because I plug it without the rear end of the casing right now..... Note for others bikers, I made my motobike dashcam, of the MOBIUS, following the model of this guy http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ration-system-for-a-motobike.5611/#post-66027

Last edited:
Hey,
Well that is certainly a substantial reply and seriously we love feedback like this.

I understand what you are saying, I bought a Canon compact camera and a waterproof case and it must have worked 100 times then on the 101st it just leaked. You're exactly right which is why we tell our customers to check before use. However we do take issue with this:

And, your casing is far from being yet enoughly well ingeniered to support multiple dives....I am not an expert, but I give it 5 meters deep once to snap.....and breakup.... maybe not 5 meters.....

Our case no doubt has places it could be strengthened and improved and trust me when I say, we wish we could make a perfect case - however we could not. Let me just give you an insight into the requests and concerns and feedback we received from customers and read on forums.

1) The case needs to fit both the Standard and Wide Angle version of the Mobius - and we completely agree.
2) If above happens you need a mechanism that means for the standard version no blurring or catching of edges happen if it is in the wide angle set up (so you need something that you can interchange so the camera lens is as close to the plastic front lens as possible if not edges will be caught and recorded.
3) It needs to have replaceable lens's incase of scratching and so a cheap replacement can be bought
4) It has to deal with the heat problem - which our case does as outlined by Tom Frank here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27666535&postcount=60

These problems are just the major ones people raised. This is why, yes our case is not perfect, however we believe it hits most of the problems and does a pretty damn job considering how cheap it is and what it does.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi JooVuu,

I just bought a waterproof case from you for use on a crash helmet. For an external power supply, I was going to drill holes in the original back and use silicone to seal them... it only needs to be showerproof on a motorcycle.

Now I see you're bringing this out, I might not bother with my plan and buy one of the waterproof rear ends - except for one question... is there room for another lead to go into the case?

I ask this because I want an external microphone.

I'm going to de-solder the electret microphone from the camera's circuit board. I will then solder some extension wires to the board that exit the camera case. These will extend to the microphone inside the crash helmet.

Hi FlyingPan,
We have not had the best take up with the new waterproof back end so not sure if we will proceeding at the moment unless demand picks up.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Yes I understand that it's not easy to do simple, yet cheap n reliable waterproof casing, specially when we have not the "" financial artillery "" of a Samsung, Sony, or others of these Giants....but sometimes an IMPROVEMENT does not take much...

For example in this case, STRONGER side CLIPS with unrustable metal (sea water is terrible for rusting metal quick) that will thighten the two part stronger on the RUBER JOINT may not be that hard to do...???

But the thing is, the most important thing is that : ONE of the 2 parts of your casing should have a double ridge surrounding field ( conceived as a U form) that comes to fit on the other part as a female (U form) comes to fit on a male (I form)...this second double ridge surrounding field could have a rubber joint (or more) inside that will assure a double sealing...like a piston crown and it's sealing joint around it that seals all leakages inside the ring zone of the cylinder of a gaz, oil, gazoline combustion engine

Here is a drawing I made of the DOUBLE U FORMED RIDGES around the ALUMINIUM casing..... I mean

1401475226-u-joint.jpg

The U form in which rubber joint (rubber joints) can come....then the DOUBLE U FORMED RIDGES surrounding with it"s rubber seals can come to femally fit on the I formed side of the plastic part of your casing (the one with your rubber seal allready on).....(or the other way round if you wish...) while the Two clips handles come and tighten the lot on your actual joint, giving you thus a double water proofing + a new solid fixation anti snapping of the 2 parts, due to water pression....

Sorry, I do not know how to explain that in English, because my English is not my mother tongue (I am French)...so I lack all of the technical vocabulary for that, to help you see clearer what I mean.......It would not need to much brain juice in developpment, and therefore would not be more expensive to do...Just a change of mould I guess (one part of the casing stays the same, the other part has that U-formed ridge...and inside that double ridge, the additionnal rubber joint (s)...

NOW....as for the waterproof plugging through the casing for an external battery pack (on a motorbike) this is a great improvment to be made, which will render the MOBIUS CAM even more popular amongst Bikers......

This you can assuredly proceed in the making for sure, not waiting for any custommers to pre order...because it is a major breaktrough in bettering your joowu casing (that is not bad overall)

I have given you my point of view about this waterproof plugging to do here :

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...with-waterproof-usb-and-clip-on-battery.5454/

The main point to understand, is to have a female USB outlet on it, waterproof too if possible...(for motobikers of course)....I am starting to show some French bikers how to use mobius cam and joowuu casing on a bike....once they see this alternative to the GO PRO working on my bike, they may want to buy the mobius n the casing, specially if they can waterproofly plug a battery pack in the casing, as the autonomy of the mobius cam is too little on it's own....

Back