New Viofo A139 !

Just got my test-cam installed an hour before sundown today, but didn't run the rear cam yet, nor have I looked at the few vids it got. I knew my old cam wiring was a mess, but it was worse than I remembered. I pulled out 3 unused USB-type cables, 3 unused PS's with their cables, the front parts of my K2S, and there's still a USB cable I need to get out but I couldn't see what it was stuck on so I left it for later. 2 hours to do one partial cam install, man am I slipping or what? :ROFLMAO:

Phil
Good news is that the new remote cam cables take up a lot less space than the old ones did, took me about 1 minute to pull it though above the headliner! Just taped it to an old thick cable I was removing.

Good news is that the new remote cam cables take up a lot less space than the old ones did, took me about 1 minute to pull it though above the headliner! Just taped it to an old thick cable I was removing.
In my car me and my dad do the installation
Like 2.5 hours

But we dont rush about rhe installation
So its can be quicker if you came to a place that do a installation to dash cameras

It would have been quicker had I taken the time to uninstall all the old stuff when I stopped using it instead of leaving it there and adding to the mess with the next can's parts :p It's not any harder an install than any other similar cam and actually easier in some ways. My situation is far from typical, and I really needed a different approach than I had been taking. Now I'm part of the way to the better approach I needed which will do for now.

I'm always looking for ways to improve things so not much is ever really permanent here, but as far as cams go some of that is changing which is going to make things a lot smoother in the future :cool: And by spring I'll have another vehicle going which will probably become my test-bed for cams instead of my workvan where there's always something in the way of doing a clean and easy install.

Phil

The firmware is from 14 september. Viofo is working now on Viofo A119 V3 and A129+ firmwares updating the Sony CMOS driver so the A139 firmware is a little delayed. My early sample test is working very well in 1CH mode from one month, nothing to complain.
Here are some sample pictures for Viofo A139 Duo, as you can see the CPL is coming as default.

View attachment 53568View attachment 53569View attachment 53570View attachment 53571

enjoy,
Mtz
It's very interesting that the car charger is combined with a plug, not separate cable+USB port plug. And I am not sure if it is inappropriate to ask too much here, but could you roughly describe the length and wide for the front camera if it's not confidential? Many thanks.

It's very interesting that the car charger is combined with a plug, not separate cable+USB port plug.
It might be because the camera can use quite a lot of power, if you had a fast charging phone plugged in as well like you can with an A129 then the charger might overheat.

could you roughly describe the length and wide for the front camera if it's not confidential? Many thanks.
I don't think the specifications have been released yet so I won't give exact measurements, but it is approximately the same size as an A129 but turned 90 degrees, and with the lens sticking out. It is a nice size to put behind the mirror.

Reactions: Mtz
The supplied cigarette-lighter PS is larger than most, and probably supplies more power than usual too. With this being a 3-channel cam it likely needs that bit of extra power, and as always you're best approach is to use the PS's supplied with any dashcam, or one specifically approved by the cam manufacturer. Other powering options may or may not work well; they can certainly be tried but you're on your own doing this and it could void your cam warranty ;)

I have the Viofo HWK3 powering mine and though I've just begun testing it seems to work fine. This was supplied with my cam by Viofo so that I could test parking modes, and I do not know that it will be normally included with this cam.

Phil

It might be because the camera can use quite a lot of power, if you had a fast charging phone plugged in as well like you can with an A129 then the charger might overheat.
That make sense. Maybe only a few people need to compromise while their car provide USB ports everywhere but one cigarette-lighter plug in a tricky corner.
I don't think the specifications have been released yet so I won't give exact measurements, but it is approximately the same size as an A129 but turned 90 degrees, and with the lens sticking out. It is a nice size to put behind the mirror.
That's more than enough. Thanks a lot. I asked because I was swing between 70mai A800 and A129 Plus. Shorter but wider rectangle shape is absolutely easier to fix behind the mirror. However A800 is way too bulk and the power/rear cam inlet ports are not reasonable. BTW, Is the lens can rotate down a lot? :ROFLMAO:PS I am the person always crying for the lens rotate down angle and want to add a wedge to the mount. That's used to be a shame of me:ROFLMAO:

The lens has quite a lot of rotation, not sure how low it will go once mounted, but that will depend on your glass angle.

Tried to take a photo of it next to the A129 Pro and A129 plus, from outside it looks the same height and thickness but wider, unless it is mounted with the lens sticking out the side of the dotted area, then it will look much smaller.

1603129266410.png

The lens has quite a lot of rotation, not sure how low it will go once mounted, but that will depend on your glass angle.

Tried to take a photo of it next to the A129 Pro and A129 plus, from outside it looks the same height and thickness but wider, unless it is mounted with the lens sticking out the side of the dotted area, then it will look much smaller.

View attachment 53692
Great and nice. Thanks. The front side also has holes? Plus the back side wholes & absent of the screen, I feel the 139 has more potential to deal with the heat. Of course when working at 3 CH mode it will generate much more heat than 129+, but for people who want a 2 CH cam and picked 139, the improved heat dissipation ability is a benefit.

but for people who want a 2 CH cam and picked 139, the improved heat dissipation ability is a benefit.
The A129 plus is more efficient, I expect it to be better for heat. The A139 is nicely designed, and no LCD certainly helps, easier for the heat to get out, but it does use more power, as a result it seems more reliable, not so dependent on really high quality power cables, and doesn't need thick cables to the remote cameras to avoid voltage drops, the cables are really thin!

BTW, Is the lens can rotate down a lot? :ROFLMAO:PS I am the person always crying for the lens rotate down angle
You're not alone in this at all ;) Mine seems to be a first-batch production model so what I am saying should happen in the future versions.

I just went out with my protractor and relative to the mounting surface, the A139 lens can be rotated upward ~30 degrees, and rotated downward ~140 degrees (no typo, I can aim it straight back in my old workvan :D) so you will not have a problem with getting the aim you want, nor will anyone else.

Phil

You're not alone in this at all ;) Mine seems to be a first-batch production model so what I am saying should happen in the future versions.

I just went out with my protractor and relative to the mounting surface, the A139 lens can be rotated upward ~30 degrees, and rotated downward ~140 degrees (no typo, I can aim it straight back in my old workvan :D) so you will not have a problem with getting the aim you want, nor will anyone else.

Phil
Well, you guys are so nice and kind for questioner. Great appreciated! I was almost purchased an A129+ but stopped by an network and payment error. Now I have a chance to look at the more interesting 139. Can I say it's a blessing in disguise:LOL:

It's very interesting that the car charger is combined with a plug, not separate cable+USB port plug. And I am not sure if it is inappropriate to ask too much here, but could you roughly describe the length and wide for the front camera if it's not confidential? Many thanks.
I haven't measured it but here is a photo of mine...

A139_panel-L.jpg

Paul.

Hi, does a139 support 2k 60fps when all 3 cams are recording?

No thats not a option as i recall, most 60 FPS systems fall back to 30 when another 1 or 2 cameras are connected.
Dont worry me much, i did a lot of testing with 2 similar cameras and 30 / 60 FPS and if 60 FPS was better in plate capture it was marginal, so since then i have just used 30 FPS.
60 are fine if you want to slow the footage down, but i never felt a need for that with my uploads.

The option is not currently listed, doesn't mean it can't be added, the A129 Pro manages 60fps 2K + 1080 30fps.

I was planning to do a test with the external MIC today, but the MIC i had assumed could be used was a USB plug ( SJCAM ) and not the mini jack.
So sadly not able to try that out today, and i cant think of a MIC i might have lying around that might work / have the correct plug.

TBH i do think it is cool the camera have a option for a external MIC even if i think the build in one are excellent.

I was planning to do a test with the external MIC today, but the MIC i had assumed could be used was a USB plug ( SJCAM ) and not the mini jack.
So sadly not able to try that out today, and i cant think of a MIC i might have lying around that might work / have the correct plug.

TBH i do think it is cool the camera have a option for a external MIC even if i think the build in one are excellent.
It is a standard PC type mic connecter, same as the one I use with action cameras via a USB adaptor. Easy to get very cheap or expensive ones on ebay, although you will need an expensive one to do better than the built in mic, that is indeed excellent!

However my current firmware doesn't have the option to turn it on!

Also note that you might want a directional mic if you want to cover the driver's door and get a clear recording without the background noise of the engine/road noise. I don't normally like directional mics, but when there is a lot of background noise they do work well.

Back