Nextbase 512G sound issues

Jon G

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a Nextbase 512G dash cam. Whilst I am more than pleased with the video quality, I am having some problems with sound. There is a vibration type sound recorded with the normal soundtrack. It's more pronounced when the car is on rough roads. I took the unit back to Halfords who swapped it out with a different one, and it has the exact same problem. I have tried it in 2 different vehicles in case there was any electrical interference (long shot), and its the same in both vehicles. The mount is very secure and there is no movement in the dash cam, and nothing rubs against it to cause the vibration. Has anybody experienced anything similar with these cams or does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing it? :(

any buttons rattling on the camera, even if very minor that can get picked up as quite audible distortion in the soundtrack

Can you upload some video sample to YT or best to dropbox or mega.co.nz

any buttons rattling on the camera, even if very minor that can get picked up as quite audible distortion in the soundtrack

Hmmm never considered that. Just had a wiggle and the buttons on the left side, near the mic do seem a bit sloppier than the ones on the other side. I'll try putting some tape over them tomorrow and see if that stops it. If it does I'll take it back for another exchange and test the buttons for sloppiness before I accept it. Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll post back with the results

Can you upload some video sample to YT or best to dropbox or mega.co.nz

Here's a sample on You Tube

This was in my Land Rover. It's exactly the same when in my other half's BMW

Here's a sample on You Tube

This was in my Land Rover. It's exactly the same when in my other half's BMW

This sounds like something is losen, most likely some button as @jokiin mentioned. Also check CPL lens filter.

Going to try taping over the buttons today. If 's that it will be going back for a refund. Pity, as the video quality is really good

Going to try taping over the buttons today. If 's that it will be going back for a refund. Pity, as the video quality is really good

Video quality may be good, however, this camera relies on it's internal LiPo battery to save the vital clip being recorded when external power is cut. The battery will fail sooner or later, possibly soon after the Warranty expires. Several NextBase owners have reported such issues here.

I don't think that £160 (?) is a fair price for a product that will inevitably let you down, sooner or later. At this price level, you're entitled to expect several years of hassle-free ownership. So choose a dashcam that contains a capacitor instead of a LiPo battery. Premium dashcams don't use LiPo batteries.

One of my first dashcams was DOD ( nextbase is rebranding of Dod ), I like it back then.
However I still don't get why Dod-nextbase lying in 2015y to be "world first cpl dashcam"?

This is buttons from right side, there are just vibrating due to poor bulid camera quality...my one has the same issue, simply tap the camra body (specially buttons from right bottom side).

This camera is a cheaper DOD ls460w version for more $$$ - bulid quality is well behind the DOD.

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like it is the buttons but on the left side (looking from the rear), next to the microphone. Despite the video quality I'm not happy paying £160 for a camera that you either have to tape up or tap to stop the rattle. With comments about the battery from Russ it will be going back and I'll be looking for a similarly priced alternative, ideally with GPS. Any suggestions?

... it will be going back and I'll be looking for a similarly priced alternative, ideally with GPS. Any suggestions?

I suggest the SG9665GC from @niko . 2 Year Warranty. 24/7/365 support. In the unlikely event of a hardware fault, there's a no hassle replacement policy.

https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/

I suggest the SG9665GC from @niko . 2 Year Warranty. 24/7/365 support. In the unlikely event of a hardware fault, there's a no hassle replacement policy.

https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/

Thanks for the recommendation, I shall take a closer look at it. I'd like something I can switch between vehicles so was ideally looking for a sucker mount. Do you know if you can you get extra mounts and power leads for this cam, and is it easy to take off the screen mount?

The DOD looks to be better than the Nextbase but if its essentially the same casing and controls I fear the same rattling noise from the buttons

Thanks for the recommendation, I shall take a closer look at it. I'd like something I can switch between vehicles so was ideally looking for a sucker mount. Do you know if you can you get extra mounts and power leads for this cam, and is it easy to take off the screen mount?

spare mounts, power leads etc are readily available

Very easy to mount-dismount

SG9665GC main set has loads of accessories, incl. 2 mounts. ( 1 thick, 1 thin ). If you need more mounts, or additional cigarette lighter charger and GPS antenna for your 2nd car, I can put together whole package for you. PM me ( start conversation ).

SG9665GC No card.jpg

Well the 512G went back whence it came. I did get a response from Nextbase Tech Support saying it's not normal. You don't say!

Been looking at the Street Guardian stuff following the recommendation for the SG9665GC and been comparing that one with the V2-Pro Street Guardian SGZC12SG. I was drawn to the latter by the inbuilt GPS so making it easier to switch between vehicles, and the potential to add a reversing camera (although not particularly cheaply), as one of the vehicles is a Land Rover Defender that often gets loaded to the hilt blocking view through the interior rear view mirror. I appreciate that the 9665 is probably more stealthy and an external GPS, from what I have read, seems to be more highly regarded than a inbuilt one, but the performance from reviews looks broadly comparable so was swaying towards the SGZC12SG. Any reasons not to go for that one over the 9665?

Street Guardian SGZC12SG vs NextBase 512G/LS460W:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...sg-vs-dod-ls460w-zoran-12p-vs-ntk96655.14480/

my suggestion is:
Thinkware F750 - is very good camera (2channel) build quality is much much better than Street-Guargian SG9665GC, SGZC12SG and even DOD.

Thinkware F750:

comparation of Thinkware F750:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...s-marcus-4-vs-street-guardian-sgzc12sg.14851/

If you expect best picture quality (1-channel camera) DOD LS470W/W+ is possibly nr1 so far on the market (has ISO12800)...but I still recommend F750 - Dual Channel is always better choice than one channel...if you not agree today you will agree next week ;)

Just imaging your car is parked somewhere in busy street/ typical UK street ;)

This is my opinion....

[EDIT]

below is example how works Parking-Mode in Thinkware F750 (motion-detection with 10sec pre-rec feature and high sensitivity G-Sensor):

Last edited:
Back