Nextbase 522gw very poor quality pictures and video

Worked for me using:

53.29205, -3.03645

A540 Chester High Road

Can you freeze frame a bit closer to that car. The closer the better for closing speed.

You're doing 37mph. If the other car is the same that's circa 70mph

This is a frame closer.

3.png

What is the grey pole in the field on the right?
Given the curvature of the straight lamp post in the previous image, that grey thing must be quite curved!
Was curious so I looked up the coordinates on google maps, but the streetview shows a different piece of road! Are the coordinates correct?

Its a lamp post.

Maybe I am expecting too much this was further down the road with a car travelling at a similar speed, not exceptionally sharp though

4.png

Yes, even a frame closer looks like motion blur, look at the DRL's, even they aren't clear.

Can you have a look in Windows Properties for the file and see what the resolution and bitrate is.

As for your same direction shot, that looks OK and I can clearly make out LG19FHE, even on my 9" tablet.

It's a lamp post. Try This Link (The coordinates are correct. Are you using dd:mm:ss or dd:mm.mm?)
Have you got a polarising filter (CPL) on it?

It's a lamp post. Try This Link (The coordinates are correct. Are you using dd:mm:ss or dd:mm.mm?)
Have you got a polarising filter (CPL) on it?

The 522 has a built-in polarising filter which may be the culprit. I have changed the resolution from 1440/30 frames to 1080p/60frames even though it is a lower resolution the higher frame rate might compensate

Whilst 1080@60 may sound better on paper it's widely regarded that 1440@30, especially when the lens native resolution is 1440, gives sharper detail.

Can you freeze frame a bit closer to that car. The closer the better for closing speed.

You're doing 37mph. If the other car is the same that's circa 70mph
Fine - but this is normal speeds on the road so either the carcam is fit for purpose or it isn't.

My experience after using both Viofo a119s and Nextbase GW522 for two weeks...
Viofo is superior, it has way better video quality than the GW522.

I must say Im really disappointed of the GW522, I will return it.

See videos, viofo vs nextbase
In video 1 the GW522 is on 1080p 60fps.
In video 2 the GW522 is on 1440p 30fps (max resolution).

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
What do you guys think ?
I have long suggested that the manufacturer change the quality of the video and configure
the video parameters in the firmware optimally. Video quality could be like this:

In response, silence...

Last edited:
My experience after using both Viofo a119s and Nextbase GW522 for two weeks...
Viofo is superior, it has way better video quality than the GW522.

I must say Im really disappointed of the GW522, I will return it.

See videos, viofo vs nextbase
In video 1 the GW522 is on 1080p 60fps.
In video 2 the GW522 is on 1440p 30fps (max resolution).

What do you guys think ?
Hi,

What SD card are you using inside the 522GW please?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Im using SanDisk Ultra.

Unfortunately San Disk Ultra/Extreme SD cards are not designed to be used inside Dash Cams, San Disk actually void the SD's warranty if an Ultra/Extreme is used inside a Dash Cam. If you believe otherwise to be the case please contact the manufacturer for confirmation. https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/warranty

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible U3 SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Such as the Nextbase SD cards or SanDisk High Endurance .

What Firmware was your 522GW on please? I'd recommend double checking that your 522GW is on R19.1 as this has improved IQ.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Im using SanDisk Ultra
This is a very good memory card. I have been using a card of this manufacturer for more
than a year on the Ambarella A12+IMX317 platform with a bitrate of 100Mbps. No problem...
The problem with the memory card is expressed only in stopping and interrupting video recording.
This does not affect the quality of the recording ...

Falsificator is correct.

Why should SanDisk provide poor video quality vs OEM memory card?
That makes no sense.

I got the latest fw, updated 2 weeks ago.
I will have to return it, Im keeping my Viofo.

OK. No guarantee, Early failure. etc. etc. But will that SD card cause the poor picture quality. Surely, as the recording is done digitally, if you get a playback picture at all, that's as good as it's going to get as per digital TV.

that's as good as it's going to get as per digital TV.
Above are links to original videos. Integrity is not broken, recorded correctly.
Where is the connection between the memory card and video quality?
This connection is not, because here it is all about the quality parameters of the video.
The firmware code is talking about this...
Results BEFORE and AFTER modifying the video parameters:
111.jpg222.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that video processing etc. can, and does, as demonstrated, change the quality of the video recording. My point was not about video processing etc. It was specifically about the recording media (SD Card).
I find it hard to believe that if a recording is made on one SD card, the quality would be any different to any other SD card , providing the recording was successful on both cards.

Surely if the card is faulty (through overuse, unsuitability or whatever) the recording will either fail completely or be 'glitchy'. If someone complains about the latter then the question about the SD card is relevant.
But if the complaint is about poor quality of the picture, the 'culprit' will be any of, lens quality, sensor, A-D converter or video processing, not the actual recording process or the storage medium of the processed video.

Back