NextBase 622GW Freezing and battery not charging? marketing scam?

Hi,

I had the same issue with freezing, typically after the car had been still for a good while. Car electricals can be eliminated by plugging the camera into and leaving it recording on a stable power source e.g. USB charger in the house. I did this to eliminate my car electricals as the issue. I did the same tests with the SD as you and no transfer issues but to keep support happy ended up burning £60 on a nextbase SD card which did not fix the problem. In fact i spent days tweaking settings to replicate the freezes over xmas hols :rolleyes:.

Anyway I narrowed my issue down to one feature, image stabalisation. If this is turned on for an extended period the camera would freeze. I often found freezes when leaving the car parked up in a supermarket or work, getting back in and leaving where it took a few frames then screen stuck on same image. My cam was on a battery source recording all the time. Anyway Nextbase replicated the issue after my feedback and said the developers would fix this in a future firmware but sadly this has not materialised for many many months. I also suspect it was a known issue as if you default the camera when on the latest firmware the feature (a selling point for the camera) is turned off.

Let us know if you have this option turned on?

I have a 622GW with rear cam, SanDisk 128GB card, perm powered, cabled into fusebox (2021 Audi A4) (I can't find a fuse which is not perm live!)
Stabilisation enabled and I get startup freeze most days.
I find restarting the main unit with the rear cam DISCONNECTED and reconnecting after startup and then popping back into mount "fixes" my issue. Repeats most days though.

I will check cabling at rear and stabilisation then confirm if problem goes away.

Rear Cam connected or not had no impact at all.
Disabled stabilisation and no crashes since (so far!)

Hi,

I had the same issue with freezing, typically after the car had been still for a good while. Car electricals can be eliminated by plugging the camera into and leaving it recording on a stable power source e.g. USB charger in the house. I did this to eliminate my car electricals as the issue. I did the same tests with the SD as you and no transfer issues but to keep support happy ended up burning £60 on a nextbase SD card which did not fix the problem. In fact i spent days tweaking settings to replicate the freezes over xmas hols :rolleyes:.

Anyway I narrowed my issue down to one feature, image stabalisation. If this is turned on for an extended period the camera would freeze. I often found freezes when leaving the car parked up in a supermarket or work, getting back in and leaving where it took a few frames then screen stuck on same image. My cam was on a battery source recording all the time. Anyway Nextbase replicated the issue after my feedback and said the developers would fix this in a future firmware but sadly this has not materialised for many many months. I also suspect it was a known issue as if you default the camera when on the latest firmware the feature (a selling point for the camera) is turned off.

Let us know if you have this option turned on?
Hello,

About the freezing problem at startup and finding the correct place to get a switched 12 volt connection, i have a solution for all vehicles and brands.

The SD card has nothing to do with this problem, it is just the boot proces from the dash cam that gets corupted during the voltage drop.

(The freezing when using parking mode i would blame on overheating in the sun, since no cooling from the car's ventilation....)

The solution i used is a very small electronic pcb board, that delays the output of the switched 12 volt output.
This seems maybe to some people already to difficult, but no worries i will try to explain all the details.

First a few short cuts in the naming of the different connection points, we use in the automotive industry a few names that are used worldwide.
The 12 volt switched or after ignition is the " +15 "
The 12 volt battery is the " +30 "
The ground or negative is the " 31 "

How the setup works is simply done by a few components that will get its "trigger" from the cars +15 and this loads up a capacitor which will send its signal to a transistor, and this transistor will activate a small relay that switches the + 30 to the dash cams +15 connection, and bootup as it should no freezing.
In simple words this little pcb board just waits a few seconds to conduct a clean +12 Volt to the dash cam.
Works every time, since the voltage drop made by the starter motor from the car is than not seen by the dash cams electronics and its boot up sequence is not "disturbed".

A more simple solution would be a firmware upgrade that adds a function like Viofo has, "delayed startup" so you can choose how many seconds the dashcam waits to turn on the booting proces.

I hope someone from Next Base R&D is reading this :)

Sorry for my bad English and elaborate explaining here, i builded this before for many people using it for all "sorts" of electronics in cars and trucs.

Regards (y)

Last edited:
I've posted quite a few times that you must try and find a fuse that is not affected by the starter motor voltage drop.

They are usually there, you need a multimeter to find them.

I don't know about other manufacturers but Honda provide an 'Option Connector' socket that is specifically wired to avoid any voltage drop.

This is most important with stop/start systems as this will happen every time the engine cuts out.

I've posted quite a few times that you must try and find a fuse that is not affected by the starter motor voltage drop.

They are usually there, you need a multimeter to find them.

I don't know about other manufacturers but Honda provide an 'Option Connector' socket that is specifically wired to avoid any voltage drop.

This is most important with stop/start systems as this will happen every time the engine cuts out.

Hello,
Yes you are right, even on those "stop / start " systems it is even more difficult to find the correct connection, the dash cam is to sensitive for voltage drops as it seems, and with this 4K and rear cam it uses even more current which is not helping.
The power circuit should switch on delayed and off delayed like the one I build, it overcomes also the stop/start problem.
It is strange that the dash cam is affected by it since the electronics inside use 5 volts, so even with the starting drop it should always stay above 8 volts what is high enough for the voltage stabilizer inside to keep the 5 Volt correct...weird.
Hello Next Base ! rewrite the firmware correctly please !

Hello,
Yes you are right, even on those "stop / start " systems it is even more difficult to find the correct connection, the dash cam is to sensitive for voltage drops as it seems, and with this 4K and rear cam it uses even more current which is not helping.
The power circuit should switch on delayed and off delayed like the one I build, it overcomes also the stop/start problem.
It is strange that the dash cam is affected by it since the electronics inside use 5 volts, so even with the starting drop it should always stay above 8 volts what is high enough for the voltage stabilizer inside to keep the 5 Volt correct...weird.
Hello Next Base ! rewrite the firmware correctly please !

Use a cell-link-b like me, gets around power spikes. However fault is squarely on the image stabilization feature being turned on. It's been at least a year now since I raised it as a fault, doubt it's going to be fixed so take this into account when selecting camera brands, features and support.

Last edited:
Hi All
I have a new Nextbase 622gw and can confirm that so far the problem with screen freezing was solved by turning off Image Stabilisation. (I have SanDisk 128, with connection using car power cable from the box). Thanks

I have a new Nextbase 622gw and can confirm that so far the problem with screen freezing was solved by turning off Image Stabilisation. (I have SanDisk 128, with connection using car power cable from the box). Thanks
Hello,

The issue has been resolved with the last firmware release R10.5. Please update to the new firmware version either via your mobile phone app or using MyNextbase Player on your computer.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

The issue has been resolved with the last firmware release R10.5. Please update to the new firmware version either via your mobile phone app or using MyNextbase Player on your computer.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support
I can confirm that problem with Image Stabilization and screen freezing was solved in the latest firmware
Thanks
Vladimir

Back