Parking Mode Problem

PatB

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
Pat here.
I purchased a 522gw, a rear window camera, a 64G Nextbase sd card and a hardwire kit on the 16th Sept 2019.

It is installed and wired to a permanent live feed. I am a professional mechanic by trade so I know its installed correctly.

My problem is that when parked the camera films a protected clip 30 seconds long every 5 min throughout the parking time,
I have even tried parking in my workshop overnight to ensure no outside influence and still the same problem.

I exchanged the 522gw and the GPS mount in Halfords on the 25th Sept 2019 for another new unit but still the problem exists.
both cameras are running 16.3 firmware.

I fear I am going to have to return this unit also and buy another make of camera, I am very disapointed with the camera as the price should warrant a top quality item.

Please advise me further.

I have attached a screenshot of a small portion of the saved files, you will see it is not random timings its almost exactly every 5 min.

Pat.

Last edited:
I have been in touch with Nextbase support today, they recommend trying different methods of powering the camera so it is now connected direct to the battery of my car as opposed to a permanent live fuse.
If that doesnt work then the next thing to try will be cigar lighter lead connected to permanent live socket instead of hardwire kit .
Wish me luck.
I will report any news.
Pat.

Last edited:
1st test, direct hardwire kit to battery is a fail:(
Still awaking every 5 min to record a 30 sec clip.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    239.2 KB · Views: 8
I would try connecting it to well, cigarette lighter(without permanent connection), or hardwiring it to something not permanent, like something that comes on with the ignition.
See if it still does it with nothing directly sending power to the carmera, letting it rely on camera battery power is what I mean in parking mode, and check if the camera is still coming to life every 5 minutes, and if it is, then it's the camera, if not, then it's either something to do with the car/car battery, or the "professional mechanic by trade fitting" that's the issue. :giggle:

At the moment, it seems to me, that your car battery seems to spike every 5 minutes, and may be causing the camera to activate by overloading it, so it appears that there is an impact/issue somewhere.
It might be one of the internal systems, or alarm/sensor or the like.
By the way, what model car, and whats its age.?

I would try connecting it to well, cigarette lighter(without permanent connection), or hardwiring it to something not permanent, like something that comes on with the ignition.
See if it still does it with nothing directly sending power to the carmera, letting it rely on camera battery power is what I mean in parking mode, and check if the camera is still coming to life every 5 minutes, and if it is, then it's the camera, if not, then it's either something to do with the car/car battery, or the "professional mechanic by trade fitting" that's the issue. :giggle:

At the moment, it seems to me, that your car battery seems to spike every 5 minutes, and may be causing the camera to activate by overloading it, so it appears that there is an impact/issue somewhere.
It might be one of the internal systems, or alarm/sensor or the like.
By the way, what model car, and whats its age.?

So tommorrows job is to attach the camera to a permantly powered cigar lighter socket, therefore ruling out the hardwire kit as being the problem.
its the 5 min timings that have me confused. Why or how could it decide to record a 30 second clip every 5 min? Ireland wind is not that pridictable unfortunatley.

Its a 2001 Landrover Discovery 2,
Pat.

30 seconds is the default recording length I believe.

I would look at the car to be causing the activation if it's so regular - it's highly unlikely 2 different units would exhibit a 5 minute repeat like this.

I was thinking that also, so i asked support what triggers the recordings,
Internal Gsensor only is what I was told. They have never seen this problem before.
If it comes to it I will fit a big powerbank that I already own,https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00UJ9Q6IC charged by a ignition fed relay as I want a permanent dashcam power supply.

But meantime I have to rule out the hardwire kit being the problem so permanent live cigar lighter tomorrow.

Hi Pat.

Firstly, thanks for your question.

I can see from the information you provided above that the recorded clips you're displaying are not in fact Parking Mode recordings, as Parking Mode recordings are protected files. The files you've shown are regular recordings. The camera seems to be being activated externally and not via the sensors in the camera itself. The fact that you returned the camera to Halfords and had another unit, but the same problem still persisted would usually indicate that the problem is not in fact with the camera or card itself, but the Hard Wire Kit. I can see that you're a Mechanic, so I would highly suggest using the cigarette lighter socket cable to test whether the same issue persists, or whether these's some kind of fault with the Hard Wire Kit / Installation. Do you only have a Permanent Live cigarette socket, or do you also have a Switch Live?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie,
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Last night I had the camera powered from the cigarette lighter cable into a socket that I wired directly to the cars battery therefore ruling out the cars other wiring as a source of the problem.

No better. So its not the hardwire kit.

The camera is recording both protected and normal files as you will see in the attachments below.

Tonight I will be powering the camera from another stand alone car battery as my next test.

Many thanks again,
Pat.Screenshot (5).pngScreenshot (4).png

Last edited:
I have just noticed that the normal files are alternating in length each time it records, 1.27 and then 3.00 min long, strange!

Hi Pat,

It looks like the Dash Cam's being triggered to record 5 minute loops (3m&1.27m&30s). What recording length is the camera currently set to?

All the test you've listed above are with a Constant Live feed. I'd like to rule out any issues with the Dash Cam itself.
Please;
1)Take the Camera and the Mount inside
2)Using external power from a mains plug, power the Dash Cam in through the mount.
3)Leave it for 2-3 hours with Parking Mode off to make sure the battery is charged.
4)Turn ON Parking Mode, then leave the camera alone and monitor how long it takes to deactivate.
5a)Then see WITHOUT ANY EXTERNAL MOVEMENT whether the camera reactivates by itself within 10 minutes
5b) Or whether you need to move the camera for it to turn on (Parking Mode activating) after 10 minutes.

If you then review the clips like you have above, that should help diagnose the issue.

Regards,
Millie

Camera is currently set to record 3 min clips.
I will continue with my test tonight as planned and will do your test tomorrow night if problems continue as I dont want to remove the mount from the screen unless I have to.

Thanks,
Pat.

OK after my test,,,,,,, spare car battery on the floor of my car powering the camera through a cigar lighter socket which rules out all my car electrical wiring I still have the fault.

Looks like it happens after i drive for a while then park, and the cam does not shut down just starts the recordings as shown above.

I have now tried Millies test and all perfect indoors but no gps indoors and no screen saver came on. so now repeating Millies test with cam and mount attached to house window, just awaiting gps reception before i start test.

Pat.

I didnt have time to fully complete Millies indoor test last night but today in the car I ruled out the rear camera as being the problem as fault still exists when rear cam disconnected and 522GW powered by a car battery sitting in the passenger footwell of my car.

I am completing Millies test tonight.

Pat.

So Millies test doesnt display any fault,,,,But Millies test is not a real life situation,

What i have done since Millies test is to connect the 522GW to a usb charger / powerbank (really good brick sized one).
so I drove home 25 min approx, reversed into my drive, unclicked the mount from the screen by pushing sideways to the left and immediatly
carried powerbank, mount and camera into my house and reclicked onto another mount base that i have aquired and stuck to the inside of the front window of my house.
Camera results below. I am in the process of uploading a youtube link so you can see for yourself the problem occuring.
Now remember this is the second camera I have had with this fault.

Last edited:
Files still uploading, but meantime a recap.

My camera doesnt shutdown and go into parking mode correctly,
Im not sure of the certain circumstances that make this occur as its not happening every time.

My first move was to approach support by telephone and I was advised to bring it back to Halfords for a replacement. I asked for a ref number or something but was told none needed, just quote my name.
I had to have the guy spell his name while I wrote it down as it wasnt a common name.
So, Went to Halfords that evening, and spent at l;east 45 min explaining the fault and that no I did not have a Nextbase support reference number, just a name and that wasnt good enough for them .
They tried ringing support and where 4 in the q but gave up when they got to 1 in the q 40 min later!!!
Eventually he decided to swap it out.

So,
Same fault on second camera.
I have tried,
Disconnecting rear window cam, no better
Wiring hardwire kit direct to battery not fusebox, no better
cigar lighter lead permanent live, no better
Cigar lighter to spare battery in my car footwell, no better
usb lead to power bank, no better
usb to powerbank indoors, no better

files to follow shortly
And many thanks for your assistance that I am sure will follow.

Pat.

Youtube of the fault is here
15 min but middle 5 min is wasted as my blind fell down and bashed the camera!!!!
But anyway the evidence is there.

Recorded files screenshot will follow shortly.

Back