Pics that make you smile

Or the Keweenaw Peninsula in northern Michigan -

Yeah, we don't get lake effect snow here quite like that but sometimes we do get pretty hammered. This winter was pretty harsh with a couple of storms where we got as much as three feet of snow each time. March has been pretty tough with snow, crazy high winds and bitter cold up until about ten days ago but now Spring has finally arrived and the snow is finally melting away. So, that means we are well into "mud season" and maple sugaring season which is looking to be a banner year because of the extreme nighttime cold and daytime warmth which gets the sap flowing.

The local paper has been publishing daily road condition reports and reporting temporary closures.
Fortunately mud season isn't quite this bad this year, but it happens now and again. Keeps the riff-raff away! :smuggrin:
mudseason.jpg

Yeah, the snow fall totals up in that area are impressive. All time record low snow total in Mohawk MI is ~14 feet, and because of the temperatures most of what falls stays on the ground for a long time. -

...but probably no more difficult to deal with than that quagmire that appears to be a feeble attempt at a road. o_O

Yeah, the snow fall totals up in that area are impressive. All time record low snow total in Mohawk MI is ~14 feet, and because of the temperatures most of what falls stays on the ground for a long time. -

...but probably no more difficult to deal with than that quagmire that appears to be a feeble attempt at a road. o_O

~14 feet! Wow, that beats anything we get here, although sometimes we'll get some astonishing snowdrifts. One time this winter it took me an hour to dig my way out of my house. When I opened the front door there was nothing but a wall of snow!

can appreciate why you drive the vehicle you have :eek:

Fortunately, things are not that bad this year. I remember one year when many of my neighbors parked their vehicles at the bottom of the hill and walked home. Happily, I was able to make it home in my 4x4 truck in low gear. Each year mud season is different but one way or another when the snow melts and the frost begins to work its way out of the ground we go through a ritual of two weeks or so of what is fondly called "mud season". Our local road crew does a great job keep after things. They were up this way with a grader and dump trucks this morning patching and smoothing but by this afternoon things started to go downhill again.

Here is a quick screen shot from my drive home about an hour and a half ago. Nothing at all like the photo above but still a bit of a challenge. By next week it will all be over and the crew will have the road looking like fresh paved tarmac and driving will return to normal, or at least what passes for normal around here. :)

mud.jpg

Last edited:
3fe3bd86840d3754a4f340c97408dba6.jpg

1876 shouldent that be carriage warranty then ?

I think cars only came around in the 1880ties.

BTW those roads, now it make sense to me when people in some places have a grader :unsure:

BTW Grader, thats how degrees are spelled in Danish.

Yeah housing have just taken off here too, at least if we talk in or around any of the major cities.
Out in the sticks ( for this little country ) you can still get a okay deal.

There are several YouTubers who already live in tents year-round. And there is one somewhat known "wild camper' in the UK who made his 'home' in the middle of a large thickly vegetated roundabout, even receiving his mail there :LOL: Or the 2 guys who lived beneath the ground in a London-area park. Truly good tents are expensive but can make for a pretty good home :)

Where I lived about 4 years ago was considered to be one of the poorer areas of town, but still decent. Since then rents and sales prices have increased 300% in much of the area and doubled in the rest. Those of use who used to be able to afford to live there have had to move, and retired homeowners on fixed incomes are struggling with property taxes. Where I live now has seen a 50% increase, and I don't know how long this place is tenable for me :( And I know of nothing cheaper fit to live in.

Phil

Sigourney Weaver in full costume, testing out the flamethrower (otherwise known as the "incinerator unit") for Alien on the back lot of Shepperton Studios, England. :joyful:

Sigourney-Weaver-Alien.jpg

Last edited:
Hehe yeah, my kind of woman, take no BS, and if she get it she will take care of it her self.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back