Pics that make you smile

NOT wee beasties at all :eek: Now I understand why they weren't wearing the regular bee-suits as a sting from something that size would be very significant!

And for the old So-Cal hippies, "Papoon for President" because I think we're all Bozos on this bus :LOL:

Phil

If the damn things will sit still for a few seconds, you could easy take one out from 50 yards with .22 :)

If you can do it while it is airborne you will earn the nickname eagel eye.

Gotta keep those out, plenty of problems for bees as it is, and not sure if American bees know the trick to kill them with heat. ( which is how Japanese bees deal with those suckers )

No, unfortunately American bees have never had to deal with Asian Murder Hornets before so they haven't evolved the skills to kill them with heat the way Japanese bees have. That's why everyone here is freaking about about them, especially in a state like Washington that relies on bees to pollinate their fruit and agricultural crops and the bees were already dealing with various serious threats before the hornets showed up.

Nothing to do but go on a murdering spree, and hope that cut it.

Seem like a lot of problems in the US too with introduced animals some idiots have let out in the wild.

Nothing to do but go on a murdering spree, and hope that cut it.

Seem like a lot of problems in the US too with introduced animals some idiots have let out in the wild.

A lot of invasive insects we have here seem to arrive in shipping crates and packing materials from Asia. A big emerging problem here in the Northeast is the Emerald Ash borer that recently showed up in Vermont and is killing off our ash trees. So far it's not too bad here probably because of the colder winters.

ashborer.jpg

The ash trees ( Fraxinus excelsior ) are native to Denmark, but as we our self sacked our own nature a couple of times over not many of them left, but oldest findings date them back to 7000 BC.
Most you will see here is plantations of neatly rowed pine trees, and not the native forest pine as we call them and the other we call tax ( Pinus sylvestris ) ( Taxus baccata ), actual wild growing forest we dont have, only something that have been planted to look that way, and which are now left alone.

Only pristine nature we have is most of our coastline.
Of wich we have a lot for such a little country as we are surrounded by water aside for the "narrow" border to Germany.

If you are into high "voltage" farming and mono culture, Denmark is the place.

Hotter weather also see quite a few insects making their way up here, some also a problem for local flora.

Last edited:
The ash trees ( Fraxinus excelsior ) are native to Denmark, but as we our self sacked our own nature a couple of times over not many of them left, but oldest findings date them back to 7000 BC.
Most you will see here is plantations of neatly rowed pine trees, and not the native forest pine as we call them and the other we call tax ( Pinus sylvestris ) ( Taxus baccata ), actual wild growing forest we dont have, only something that have been planted to look that way, and which are now left alone.

Only pristine nature we have is most of our coastline.
Of wich we have a lot for such a little country as we are surrounded by water aside for the "narrow" border to Germany.

If you are into high "voltage" farming and mono culture, Denmark is the place.

Hotter weather also see quite a few insects making their way up here, some also a problem for local flora.

I'm surrounded by thousands of acres of mixed deciduous forest. The loss of our ash trees here would be just devastating.

forest2.jpg

Yeah you guys have lots of sweet stuff still, not for not trying to wipe it out too, but just size and geography have put a damper on your efforts i assume.
It is also to a large degree this nature i would focus on if i get to go to the states again

Here my biggest nature "hardon" is when i pass someone mowing his lawn, there is something with me and the smell of grass that have just been cut, add a rain shower and i almost get ecstatic.

Will need a GPS cuz over there you really can get lost, thats not a problem here unless you have as faulty build in navigation as my friend have.

This is Rold forest ( where we have july 4 every year just outside the town of Rebild )
If you zoom in, it soon become clear what kind of "forest" it is most of it.

This is Rold forest ( where we have july 4 every year just outside the town of Rebild )
If you zoom in, it soon become clear what kind of "forest" it is most of it.

Wow, they're planted forests!

Makes me think of the experimental forest planted in 1973 in Miyazaki Prefecture of southern Japan by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries. Looks pretty cool now!

japan.jpeg

Yeah.
15 years and so ago, various foresters of public forests sent letters to the queen telling her the Oaks for her ship's was ready for harvest.
As a result of the English stealing out fleet decades ago, and those oaks was planted to build the new navy :) already back then we have wiped out the forests that used to cover Denmark.

It's a world-wide problem :( We've got the Wooly Adelgid killing our Hemlock trees here- another non-native issue like Dutch Elm disease. And if you want to see an old virgin forest you've got to go waaaaay up in the hills, far past where logging could reach economically. Most of the forests in the lower part of my State have been harvested and replanted so many times that the eco-system has changed to work around it. Old deciduous trees are mostly found in developed areas where they were left in place, and a lot of those are very old and dying now, with it too late to replace them with thew same species unless you want to wait a hundred years to see it become the same again :oops: And don't get me started on the Scourge of the South known as Kudza which is going to take over everything here eventually :mad:

Most of the low-State here is pine forest, and only by the coast is it the same species as nature intended. The rest is a fast-growing species meant for lumber harvesting and that kind of wood is crap for building purposes being weak, tending to warp, and full of large knots. They harvest most of them when they reach 8" to 10" diameter (20 cm- 25 cm) so not only is the board size restricted, there's a lot of waste. Those pines grow so fast that nothing can grow underneath them due to being unable to catch enough sunlight :cry: And of course that affects what kinds of animals can survive here too.

For decades I've had to live with knowing that my business of building means that the developer is going to just go in and bulldoze everything due to costs being cheaper, then replant 'designer' trees that don't belong here. The Leland Cypress has become popular with most folks not knowing of it's ~40 year lifespan; they're in for a big surprise when their 'privacy screen' of trees all dies at about the same time leaving their 'beautiful' property naked :cautious: The same goes for shrubbery; people don't want to wait for the classic beauty of Azaleas and Hydrangeas nor do they want to tend to them.

Nature takes her time because she knows what's best and we're supposed to learn and understand the value of patience in how plant life grows. We're supposed to use, not abuse nature and above all we should not be attempting to change it, but live with it instead :cool:

Phil

If i get a property, i will let it all run wild, maybe plant some trees if it is larger area.
There is a TV show running here with a experiment having people run their gardens a bit wilder and not cut the grass as often, some of these villa gardens did barely see any insects in traps let out for days.
Also the town / municipality are in on it letting roundabout centers grow wild instead of neatly mowed grass, and some guys with lot of housing also telling the landlords to go easy on the mower and plant wild flowers.
And also industry getting in on the fun and not just have big lawns out front of their places.

Wild nature in focus​

In the program series 'Give us nature back', you follow Hjørring Municipality's ambitions to put an end to habitual thinking and recreate 'the wild nature'. Here, parks, ditches, roundabouts, lawns and the city's institutions and large areas of land are put into play to make room for a diversity of plants, where butterflies, bees and other insects have optimal living conditions.

Look interesting and the lord know insets in Denmark need all the help they can get as numbers have been dwindling very fast lately.

Last edited:
Also the town / municipality are in on it letting roundabout centers grow wild instead of neatly mowed grass,
We have an argument here, planted wild flowers, or wild wildflowers, either way, not allowed to cut the grass until hay time (after the flowers have set seed) these days:

This-or-this-or-both-banner-980x.jpg

Ulster-verge-1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah.
15 years and so ago, various foresters of public forests sent letters to the queen telling her the Oaks for her ship's was ready for harvest.
As a result of the English stealing out fleet decades ago, and those oaks was planted to build the new navy :) already back then we have wiped out the forests that used to cover Denmark.

Here we had the Pine Tree Riot in 1772 when the American colonists finally became fed up with British exploitation after the King of England claimed ownership of all pine trees over 12 inches is diameter for use as single stick ship masts. Significantly larger pine trees were already under British control for the same purpose. These were massive trees of a stature than didn't exist in the old world and they were marked with a symbol that labeled them "King's Tree", thus forbidden to be harvested by the colonists for their own use.

The Pine Tree Riot in 1772 is said to be one of the acts of rebellion that inspired the Boston Tea Party in 1773.

property_of_the_king.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back