Power connection question

KenDay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know why we are told NOT to connect the power cable direct to the USB port on the Dash Cam?
1621706024161.png

Welcome to the forum Ken.

That one are probably only for data transfer, maybe even just a debug port.
But when viofo had problems with the base on their models the solution was to use the port in the camera, as their camera was able to in reverse so to say power the GPS in the base.

But i have no idea if that is a option on the nextbase cameras

Have you tried to clean the connectors in the camera & mount with a Q tip or something like that ?

Welcome to the forum Ken.

That one are probably only for data transfer, maybe even just a debug port.
But when viofo had problems with the base on their models the solution was to use the port in the camera, as their camera was able to in reverse so to say power the GPS in the base.

But i have no idea if that is a option on the nextbase cameras

Have you tried to clean the connectors in the camera & mount with a Q tip or something like that ?
Thanks for the reply, and the welcome - this seems like a good forum - especially if Nextbase have people on here.

Yes - it may be to do with the GPS as those letters are stamped on the base of the mount.

I'll give the connections a clean - but as the whole unit is only a day old I'd be surprised if thats the issue. I've looked into the screen mount sockets and the gaps seem quite wide so i am wondering if a connection is not being made there?

Anyhoo - I'll likely send it back under warranty.

Yeah if it is that new, and you are not super needy for a camera, a reset to 0 with a new unit might be a good idea.
Not all people have the inclination or tools for that matter to attempt something out of the ordinary, and with a brand new unit really that should not be attempted.

I am not at all familiar with the nextbase brand cameras, but are you sure you have the parts properly together, you be amazed on other brand cameras, how many times people have had GPS problems on some cameras, only due to them either not seating the little jack plug properly, or having put it in the AV out jack beside the jack for the GPS.

Thanks Kamkar - yes all fitted correctly and as I said was working for a day before the issues. I'm quite proficient with fitting this type of unit.

I've decided to return it to Amazon - I'm going to get the replacement from my local Halfords (UK motoring supermarket) so if there are any future problems i can go straight there.

Thanks again for the help (y)

Anyone know why we are told NOT to connect the power cable direct to the USB port on the Dash Cam?
View attachment 56800
Hi Ken,

If you plug the cable directly into the camera, the cable hits the windscreen when installed and can prevent correct installation. To prevent this, we always recommend plugging the power cable into the GPS mount and not directly into the top of the camera.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back