Power failing to camera when using GPS mount

Until finding this forum, I thought it may just be me having this problem, i'm now onto GPS mount number 4 at £20 a shot.

Now a very expensive camera and i'm still having this problem.

Best bet is to stop throwing money at these defective cams. I bought two of them + cpl filters and they both came with defective mounts...

I've tried getting replacements but they always require you to send back the entire unit along with all accessories, then wait 2-3 weeks for replacement.

I hope you have better luck than me.... it's very disappointing to invest over $250 in something defective..

You are absolutely correct that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide updated components when design defects are detected. VIOFO should make available, at no charge, the foam pads–at the very least–for those who have bought Version 1 of their A119 and A119S cameras. That is what a responsible manufacturer would do. At least one retailer has offered to provide, at no cost to customers, these foam inserts, which can now be purchased on Amazon in the United States for $9.95. To make previous customers of this product spend additional money correcting a manufacturing defect is outrageous. It seems clear now that the old GPS Mount Will never work properly for many people and that the only way to get around that is to power the camera directly.

Come on, VIOFO Step up to the challenge and provide replacement pads to customers at no cost. Fostering customer loyalty would be worth the money.

You are absolutely correct that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide updated components when design defects are detected. VIOFO should make available, at no charge, the foam pads–at the very least–for those who have bought Version 1 of their A119 and A119S cameras. That is what a responsible manufacturer would do. At least one retailer has offered to provide, at no cost to customers, these foam inserts, which can now be purchased on Amazon in the United States for $9.95. To make previous customers of this product spend additional money correcting a manufacturing defect is outrageous. It seems clear now that the old GPS Mount Will never work properly for many people and that the only way to get around that is to power the camera directly.

Come on, VIOFO Step up to the challenge and provide replacement pads to customers at no cost. Fostering customer loyalty would be worth the money.
Well said

have you tried asking @viofo for them? have a look around the forum and you'll see anyone that has not been supported by the reseller and has asked Viofo for help directly and they have stepped up and looked after them, they're not psychic, they can't know where the customers with problems are, reach out to them and ask for help and you'll get it

have you tried asking @viofo for them? have a look around the forum and you'll see anyone that has not been supported by the reseller and has asked Viofo for help directly and they have stepped up and looked after them, they're not psychic, they can't know where the customers with problems are, reach out to them and ask for help and you'll get it

Thank you for your suggestion–that’s a great idea. I assumed they read the postings, but that maybe too much of an assumption. I have posted on their page directly a request for replacement pads.

you have to tag them for them to know about the situation, add the @ symbol before a users name and they get notified of the post, like this @Smiley that's why I tagged @viofo in the post previously, so they can help you out, it's too easy to miss the post otherwise

Until finding this forum, I thought it may just be me having this problem, i'm now onto GPS mount number 4 at £20 a shot.

Now a very expensive camera and i'm still having this problem.

@NJK - can you return the GPS mount#4 and get your money back? For £20 - why not purchase the V1 to V2 upgrade kit? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B072HFTPZR
You need some basic electronics knowledge and you will require disassembly of the A119-V1.

This upgrade kit comes with the new GPS-V2 unit, and the EVA Foam pads, a new back cover for the A119 - and the replacement connector for inside the A119. The seller will send you a video on how to perform the upgrade,

This makes the connection between the A119-V2 and GPS-V2 mount rock solid.

The kit also comes with a mini-USB surface mount component part in a plastic capsule (which is not required for the upgrade as far as users who have upgraded using this kit have told me!).

That is a very good idea for some–those that have purchased the GPS units separately and can return them for a refund. When it is purchased along with the camera, the issue is more complicated than that I would imagine, as you would only be returning part of the purchase. Also, the site states that, ”This item does not ship to the United States.” For those who have multiple cameras (I have 6 for all my cars), or have purchased the GPS unit along with the camera, or live in the United States this is not currently an option or is a much more expensive proposition. Perhaps if it were offered at a lower price it would be more reasonable for more people.

If there's nothing wrong with the pins, no need to return the GPS base(s). All you need is the EVA foam pad.

I'd stuck one pad from the SG9665GC's kit to the A119S as the subwoofer in the boot was causing the camera to vibrate a lot. It eliminated the vibrations completely and I haven't faced any of the mount related issues described by some A119S users and a few A119 users as well.

Last edited:
meanwhile there are some of us (no idea how many) like myself who have zero issues using the power through the gps mount. and mine was just about one of the earliest production units there was since i got it right when it came out.

I am one of those having the same issue. It first appeared about 2 weeks after purchase . I took the Unit off the GPS and then re-applied and that gave me close to two weeks. I now find I am good for about an hour. During the weekend, didn't have use of the family car, as I took a car rental to go out of town ... came back a few hours ago to see my wife has disconnected the power as "its beeping too much".

If I can duplicate the problem, I may take a video.

Last edited:
@viofo...how can I get some of the pads? I purchased mine last June and started to loose power now via the GPS. Can I get a couple of pads be sent my way?
Thanks

I have ordered the foam pads as it has become really bad. I have turned off the screen saver to keep my eyes on the screen flicker which is a sign its about to happen and look at the screen every 30 seconds or so. When it begins to flicker, I turn the camera in a clockwise position. I have even had my hand on my a119 when driving straight. I find with a pothole or bump and it goes thru the power reset routine. I am leaving it unplugged until the foam arrives and relying on my other front mounted camera as I am a little worried it going on and off abnormally a dozen times in a 40 minute trip may eventually take its toll.

As to why some people have the problem and not others, could it be the suspension of the vehicle?

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Bought two @viofo A119s with GPS mounts from @BlackboxMyCar on Amazon. I mounted one on the front windshield and the other on the back. The front mount is so loose the screen starts to flicker for 10-15 seconds before restarting. This repeats indefinitely. The rear cam mount is a little tighter and hasn't had any power problems yet. I've swapped the cameras between the two mounts and it's obvious the front mount is defective, and the back is loose enough that it'll probably eventually fail too as it wiggles from vibration. I'm already past the return deadline and don't want to go through the hassle anyway. They work fine when something is mashed in the mount like a ziptie or piece of felt. If those padded stickers work well it'd sure be nice to receive 2 of those in my mailbox to make up for the disappointment, hassle, and time wasted figuring out what's wrong with my two new dash cams.

@clicketyclack - I really believe the foam will fix the problem and will know on Wednesday if it does or not. Also, the box for mine came with non Non gps mounts and I was tempted to remove the GPS mounting and use of of the regular mounts.

@GTA Driver When you get them, you should scan them on some grid paper and post the image so I can see the dimensions, if you have a scanner. It'd sure save me time from taking it off my window and making a template. I'm pretty curious how thick the pads are too. I can get some sticky-back felt locally but it's either very thin, like 1 mm or very thick, like 4 mm.

I just remembered I used up the second set of black double-sided stickers so I have to find some very strong black or clear double-sided tape if I remove mine again.

I just remembered I used up the second set of black double-sided stickers so I have to find some very strong black or clear double-sided tape if I remove mine again.
you should not need to remove the mount to apply these. Just take the camera off the GPS mount and apply it to the camera and then put the camera back on the GPS mount. The GPS mount would remain attached to wherever you have it attached to the whole time.

My A119 which arrived the other day had 2 sheets of 2 ea of the foam stickers. So I still have 3 foam sticker left.

43ed7d768df3b7d816e099f41aff9c09.jpg

Back