"Real World" Questions on the DC

What I like about the DC is its continued relationship to all the A119 models........ The wedge camera profile is streets ahead

....... The wedge camera profile is streets ahead

Not always. My old van has no tinting or frit, just clear glass all the way to the top. Some large trucks and busses are like this too. A wedge cam would be the worst choice possible here :( Even an old 'brick-on-a-stick' suction-cup mounted G1W is more discreet in my case :whistle: And with the intense summers here you don't want your cam sitting in the direct sunlight :eek:

I've been using cams mounted back from the windshield for some time now in a few different vehicles. I've had no real problems with dash reflections or any other optical issues regarding them being away from the windshield. It might be better to mount close to the windshield for some but not all. The very thing which makes wedge cams a good choice can make them equally bad one ;)

There is no perfect cam and no perfect form-factor. Everyone's needs will vary. If the DC doesn't work for you because of it's form-factor then the upcoming dual-remote SG cam should solve that problem :D I'm glad SG is not simply forgetting about the rest of us (y) (y) (y)

Phil

Anyone have any comment on parking mode experience with the DC? I have it installed with the battery monitoring device, but have not had much time to test anything or even see what I’m getting. Hoping both front and rear cameras start recording on motion, and hoping rear camera has motion detection as well? Have not had time to fully read the manual.

Of the 3 mentioned apps that work with WiFi for IOS anyone have any additional comments on differences and which may work easiest best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using it for a few weeks. Mounted in diesel 4x4 extended cab pickup. Front cam is fantastic! GPS locks in fast...it all just works like you would expect it to. The rear camera isn't quite as good...but in my case it doesn't help that it has to look through tint. Lights are overexposed at night...but it is a tradeoff to see anything else at night. Audio recording is very good also, I am actually very surprised about that...due to the non optimal location.

I have tried the various apps so far with wifi...but it seems they are only useful for aiming the cameras...which was quite handy for the rear camera BTW.

Dashcam Viewer works just fine with the camera's files...occasionally the data is incomplete (no speed) or no second camera available (even though the file is on the card)...but that is for the maker of Dashcam Viewer. I will say that about 95% of my recordings have rendered perfectly with Dashcam Viewer...100% just opening the file in something like VLC.

It is amazing how much stupid stuff I have seen and recorded in the few weeks I have owned this device. Well done!

Areas to improve...just my opinion...there are always tradeoffs.

-I had to fabricate a mount for the rear camera...due to limitations on the install location...but if it was flatter, it would be easier to fit...I couldn't put it as high as I wanted.

-Is there a parts store yet?...I want to buy some more mounts...and maybe another long cable.

-Short cable in my case needed to be a little bit longer...why doesn't long cable have the same right hand usb plugs as the short one?

Let me finish by saying I couldn't be happier with the product, great picture, great OS, great support!

Been using it for a few weeks. Mounted in diesel 4x4 extended cab pickup. Front cam is fantastic! GPS locks in fast...it all just works like you would expect it to. The rear camera isn't quite as good...but in my case it doesn't help that it has to look through tint. Lights are overexposed at night...but it is a tradeoff to see anything else at night. Audio recording is very good also, I am actually very surprised about that...due to the non optimal location.

Latest firmware has independent EV adjustment for front and rear cameras so you could adjust that if you wanted, tint will make a difference so some adjustment may be needed

I have tried the various apps so far with wifi...but it seems they are only useful for aiming the cameras...which was quite handy for the rear camera BTW.

I think there's a limit to how useful the apps are at the best of times, we originally planned to leave WiFi disabled until we had an app of our own done but in the end decided we'd leave it on as there is still some basic functionality available through some other apps

Dashcam Viewer works just fine with the camera's files...occasionally the data is incomplete (no speed) or no second camera available (even though the file is on the card)...but that is for the maker of Dashcam Viewer. I will say that about 95% of my recordings have rendered perfectly with Dashcam Viewer...100% just opening the file in something like VLC.

We sent a camera to John that writes the Dashcam Viewer software so that he has a camera at his disposal to help with the development, we've already seen some improvements but expect there will be further improvements to come

I had to fabricate a mount for the rear camera...due to limitations on the install location...but if it was flatter, it would be easier to fit...I couldn't put it as high as I wanted.

We're working on some other rear camera options at the moment

-s there a parts store yet?...I want to buy some more mounts...and maybe another long cable.

Let @Street Guardian USA know what you need, we may have some spares of whatever you're after, more bits are coming but some basic stuff is available

Short cable in my case needed to be a little bit longer...why doesn't long cable have the same right hand usb plugs as the short one?

We've changed the 3M cable to 3.5M as we've had a few people say it was just a little bit too short, the long cable is most often needed when running through tailgates, to get the cable through one end needs to be straight or it's very easy to damage the plug, if it even fits, just one of those tradeoffs we need to have unfortunately, there will be some other accessory cables available to suit different installations, we have some other 2 channel models coming that are compatible with the cables so between the models there will be a bit of variety available

Let me finish by saying I couldn't be happier with the product, great picture, great OS, great support!

Thanks, appreciate the feedback

-I flashed the new firmware, but didn't realize the EV setting option.

-no complaint about the wifi...just fyi

-Makes sense about the fishing the usb cable through things...does anybody make a right angle mini usb adapter...the correct direction?

Makes sense about the fishing the usb cable through things...does anybody make a right angle mini usb adapter...the correct direction?

probably not as it's a ten pin plug, can't use adapters anyway though as it causes stability problems

I noticed with the new firmware, a “quality” setting that defaulted to medium. I changed it to “high”. Question: What specs of low,med,and high? Does it affect bit rate? Does it affect both front and rear?
Thanks
CRS

Back