Recording ends abruptly after engine start

flip9

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
F770, SG9665GC
Hi guys

I was just reviewing my dashcam videos, which i havent done for a while.

I noticed that it sometimes fails to record my trip. The recording just stops when i start the engine, you can hear it below.

All i get is a 2 second, 2MB clip and nothing else gets recorded until the next startup. Seems to occur when im filling up or at the shops (warm starts) but only sometimes.

I know the power cuts out for a second during an engine start but i would have thought the capacitor would keep it running.

Would this issue be fixed by the latest firmware?

Thanks.

Last edited:
what firmware version are you on now?

you may need to set the boot delay to a longer time also

Thanks for the quick response.

The firmware version is SG20150926.v2

Bootup time was 5 seconds, ive now set it to 15seconds. Does this mean the recording starts 15 seconds after power up?

Thanks for the quick response.

The firmware version is SG20150926.v2

Bootup time was 5 seconds, ive now set it to 15seconds. Does this mean the recording starts 15 seconds after power up?

actually there's a bug in that firmware version with the boot delay so you'll need to upgrade, try the 15 second option once you've upgraded

new firmware here http://www.mediafire.com/download/slfr5ql9xitwa68/SG9665GC_V2_Update_1.zip

also for reference what car is it you have?

Cheers, i will update this afternoon and report back soon

The car is a 2006 Toyota Hilux SR5

I have the same issue. New cam installed yesterday, updated to the latest firmware.

When I turn on the ignition the cam powers up and starts to record, but when I kick over the engine the power turns off and I have to manually turn on the cam.

I have the boot delay set to 15 seconds. My car is diesel and the cam is hardwired using a Lukas kit.

How can I fix the issue or does it mean I have to kick over the engine within 15 secs to avoid the problem?

I need to clarify my last post, my car gets power as soon as I remotely open the door, so the cam starts recording even before I turn the ignition.

Last edited:
I need to clarify my last post, my car get power as soon as I remotely open the door, so the cam starts recording even before I turn the ignition.
Sounds to me like you tapped into the interior light circuit that's activated when the door is opened. You need to use a different circuit - one that does not get power until the ignition is on.

Sounds to me like you tapped into the interior light circuit that's activated when the door is opened. You need to use a different circuit - one that does not get power until the ignition is on.

yeah I agree, look at a circuit that is only powered once key is turned to accessories, cig lighter or radio perhaps, battery cams would be ok wired the other way but not capacitor based cams

also the Lukas should hold power even when that happens so not sure how that is currently configured

I've currently tapped into the headlights as "Always on power" and the cig lighter as "Switch power". My car is a 2010 Mondeo and power for all accessories switch on once the doors are activated.

Is it normal for the cam to turn off once the ignition is kicked over? I can open the car doors and with out turning the ignition the cam will record for 15min before it turns off (that's the amount of time I have power until the cars switches off all power). But as soon as the engine is kicked over the cam turns off.

If so, any work around otherwise I have to always manually switch the cam on.

Last edited:
I've currently tapped into the headlights as "Always on power" and the cig lighter as "Switch power". My car is a 2010 Mondeo and power for all accessories switch on once the doors are activated.

Is it normal for the cam to turn off once the ignition is kicked over? If so, any work around otherwise I have to always manually switch the cam on.

how about the radio circuit for accessory power?

how is the Lukas configured as even once it comes on it should have a timed cutoff and shouldn't be turning off during cranking anyway, unless power to the headlights is cut during cranking which may be a possibility, headlights draw a lot of current so I could see why it might be useful to not have headlights working when cranking

Even the radio kicks on when doors activate.

I have full power while cranking, nothing turns off.

The Lukas stays on during the cranking process (red power LED still blinks) it's set to switch off once the volts drop, but I don't even have it activated it's currently switched off, so the Lukas along with all power turns off after 15minutes.

I have full power while cranking, nothing turns off.

if that were the case the camera wouldn't go off when you start the car, voltage must be dipping when you crank, do you have access to a multimeter to check it with?

I'm not familiar with the Lukas, maybe something @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert can advise on

If the Lukas is off can you try turning it on and see what the result is

if that were the case the camera wouldn't go off when you start the car, voltage must be dipping when you crank,
Actually you're right, I turned the radio on and watched the Lukas power light before cranking and in deed power does drop for a second while the engine starts, both the radio and Lukas stop. That's also when the cam turns off.

Is this the norm for all users, should the cam restart by it's self once the power restores after the brief moment?

Is this the norm for all users, should the cam restart by it's self once the power restores after the brief moment?

can depend on the car, some cars it doesn't go out long enough to be a problem

given you have the Lukas power supply though you should be able to avoid this but will need to double check where you have that connected as it shouldn't lose power when cranking

given you have the Lukas power supply though you should be able to avoid this but will need to double check where you have that connected as it shouldn't lose power when cranking
I figure because the Lukas is connected to my headlights and cig lighter, they must both drop during crank so I think it makes the Lukas redundant.
But this can be explored after the new year, today's for celebration.

Happy new year to all for later on tonight.

I figure because the Lukas is connected to my headlights and cig lighter, they must both drop during crank so I think it makes the Lukas redundant.
But this can be explored after the new year, today's for celebration.

Happy new year to all for later on tonight.

I can appreciate why the car maker might have the lights cut during cranking but I'm sure there would be circuits that don't do this, I'm sure it's addressable

Happy new year to you too :)

Back