Reliable dashcam under $30 ???

beavis

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Dash Cam
Mini 0801
I'm looking for a cheap 2nd dashcam for using in the rear window.
(I have a decent Mini 0801 for a front dashcam, mounted behind the mirror.)

Keyword here is cheap:
- has to be under about $30 (give of take a few bucks)
- BUT it would have to work reliably

- video quality doesn't matter
- "some" night footage would be useful

Please only post purchased and tried (preferably long-term tested) products.
No random ebay links and products please, since that doesn't help me: I also know how to use the search functions of ebay and google.
Thank you!

Bests,
Beavis

Last edited:
Here is a camera that for a few bucks more will be cheap, reliable and good quality

https://www.ebay.com/itm/180776698380
It's the predecessor of the Mobius and the latest version which will include loop recording. The only difference is it records in 720p. If you research it you will be impressed by its quality and the size is perfect for a rear window mount. That link is a seller who gets his cameras straight from the developer and has a great customer service history.

Make sure you buy V3, which this one is, the previous versions don't have loop recording.

Here is a camera that for a few bucks more will be cheap, reliable and good quality

It's the predecessor of the Mobius and the latest version which will include loop recording. The only difference is it records in 720p. If you research it you will be impressed by its quality and the size is perfect for a rear window mount. That link is a seller who gets his cameras straight from the developer and has a great customer service history.

Make sure you buy V3, which this one is, the previous versions don't have loop recording.

Blimey, that is cheap.. I may get one of these for the wife’s car. Would you say this isn’t far off a G1W in terms of quality? She doesn’t do many miles so I’m thinking a full singing and dancing camera isn’t required.

Also, how is this one mounted and can the settings be altered using the GUI software (used for the Mobius)

Thanks for the recommendation.
Have you tried this camera?

Bests,
Beavis

Thanks for the recommendation.
Have you tried this camera?

Bests,
Beavis
No, I have the Mobius, by the same developer. This camera has an excellent reputation and following in the RC Group. Unfortunately, V1 and V2 didn't have loop recording. v3 was recently introduced with a bunch of advances. The developer released the Mobius with loop recording before upgrading the 808 #16 to V3. It also shares the same GUI, as the Mobius.

I have thought about it for rear view use due to its size, reliability, price and quality.

The USB sounds annoying on this cam though?

heres my Mobius b lens in rear of vw golf.. dead easy fit. I used 3m tape..
aarrggh. how do I upload to site?.. these are a great cam the Mobius.. even dare I say it... better quality than my roadhawk... but no gps. aint arsed it is for rear screen on my vw golf took me 15 mins to fit.. waw. great camera. and thanks guys

heres my Mobius b lens in rear of vw golf.. dead easy fit. I used 3m tape..
aarrggh. how do I upload to site?.. these are a great cam the Mobius.. even dare I say it... better quality than my roadhawk... but no gps. aint arsed it is for rear screen on my vw golf took me 15 mins to fit.. waw. great camera. and thanks guys
you can use imgur to link the image :p just be sure to use the direct link with the i.imgur.com/blah

Yes, the techmoan review mentions it's a custom USB you can only buy from the vendor, it isn't standard?

Remember you get what you pay for, tried a cheap camera once it failed to capture the incident switched to a reliable camera no more issues with recordings.

Most cheap cameras have a gap in the recording segments up to 8 seconds between clips

Save a bit more and get a better camera and unreliable camera is a much value as no cameras.

I currently use 2 Finevu CR500HD cameras

Most cheap cameras have a gap in the recording segments up to 8 seconds between clips

Rubbish. Most cheap cameras have either a 1 second overlap from one clip to the next, or no gap / overlap.

Only the DVR-027 & it's clones have a gap between clips of about 1 second, which is unacceptable.

Please stop the misinformation. As for recommending a $270 camera to someone with a $30 budget ... ludicrous!

+1 for the 808 #16 recommendation.

Last edited:
Yes, the techmoan review mentions it's a custom USB you can only buy from the vendor, it isn't standard?
I think you're confusing the 808 #26, which is similar to the Innov C1. Both have proprietary USB cables. The 808 #16 uses a Mini USB, same as the Mobius. Yes it's confusing, there are a bunch of 808 cameras from different manufacturers.

There are also Android apps for changing settings and live view for this camera. Here's the link to a huge 1000 page forum dedicated to this camera .http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994 I Understand you get what you pay for and some cheap ones are junk, this camera doesn't fall into that category. To save money you give up 1080p for 720p not quality and features.

I think you're confusing the 808 #26, which is similar to the Innov C1. Both have proprietary USB cables. The 808 #16 uses a Mini USB, same as the Mobius. Yes it's confusing, there are a bunch of 808 cameras from different manufacturers.

There are also Android apps for changing settings and live view for this camera. Here's the link to a huge 1000 page forum dedicated to this camera .http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994 I Understand you get what you pay for and some cheap ones are junk, this camera doesn't fall into that category. To save money you give up 1080p for 720p not quality and features.

Yep your right, I was getting carried away when searching for "808" reviews.

Thanks

Not true, the previous version (v2) had loop recording but not auto start! (I have used 2 of the previous versions for over a year now and they work great; only a battery change required so far) It even has a MD option.

Unfortunately, V1 and V2 didn't have loop recording. v3 was recently introduced with a bunch of advances. The developer released the Mobius with loop recording before upgrading the 808 #16 to V3. It also shares the same GUI, as the Mobius.

Again, the only difference between the 808#16 V2 and 808#16 V3 is Auto start with external power.

I used to use one of those little keyfob cams all the time. I had it glued to a small wedge which, in turn, was sat on one of those 'sticky' dashmat things. Had some great footage off it. Only problems were - I could never tell if it was recording or not & it was a case of point & hope (unless I took my tablet out with me to help with the aim).
Life would've been much easier if I'd not been constantly swapping vehicles.

Back