SG9663DR update

Yes the more wires ( one ) do make it a bit more tricky to install, but at least you don't have to route those wires to the windscreen.
Also you can not bury the main unit too deep, even though it will have wifi and also a screen to do settings on, you will probably want to get to the memory card now and then, and the main unit to do firmware updates and the recommended occasional in camera format of the memory card.
The K2S camera that are dual remote i am testing actually have a option to put it on the windscreen or dashboard, but that just seem silly with all those wires coming off one side of the almost matchbox small main unit.
No way can i see that be done in a nice way, i am not sure if SG will also have this to me silly option on their DR model ?
But the whole point of a dual remote system are to have the main unit out of sight and the sun.
The conventional current dual cameras are fine to work with on the windscreen, it have the GPS mouse antenna on a short wire, so it just need to be routed out to the upper corner of the windscreen ( where i have all my GPS antennas )
Then the unit of course also need power, from the cigarette lighter socket, or the hard wire kit if you want to use parking mode.
And then you have the 1 wire you have to route out back to the remote camera there, thru 1 wire go power to the camera and data back to the main unit on the windscreen.

The current conventional cameras are quite small, have about a creditcard sized footprint on the windscreen, so if you have a dotted area on the top of your windscreen you can have most of the camera on that and just the lens peeking out below the dots ( i have this in my car )
img_20180414_143906-jpg.37474

Current wedge type cameras like the SG ones and other, they often come off as some form of sensor on the windscreen, pretty much no matter how it is installed as long as it is in the middle and on the top of the windscreen.

The K2S camera i keep bringing up as it is a DR type camera you can see some pics ASO on here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/k2s-received.37896/
The cameras for this make/model are smaller than the remote cameras SG use now and on their DR model, but both are plenty small as is.
There are also a picture of the smaller K2S rear camera Vs the remote rear camera of my SG9663DC.

Last edited:
Heyall, I was considering the SG9663DCPRO, but since the DR seems to be around the corner, I might wait a few weeks more :)

won't be ready in a few weeks, the corner is further away than we would like, we still have some stuff we need to rework

Is the corner this year?
I don't like to say for sure but I would think we should have a better idea of where we're at by midyear, we have some tooling changes to make to accommodate a cable change that is necessary, that will take a good 6 weeks, we can retest once that is done

won't be ready in a few weeks, the corner is further away than we would like, we still have some stuff we need to rework
Ooff.. Gotta scratch the itch then and jump on the DC for my first cam then. I don't have a good spot for the DR unit in the MX-5 anyways.
I really like the openness regarding design and support you got going on!

Ooff.. Gotta scratch the itch then and jump on the DC for my first cam then. I don't have a good spot for the DR unit in the MX-5 anyways.
I really like the openness regarding design and support you got going on!
I had a Hard Dog roll bar in my 97 mx5, and mounted the rear camera to the underside of the bar, right in the middle. originally i wanted to mount it to the back face of the roll bar so that i wouldn't be able to see it in the mirror, but then it couldn't see out the back window w/ the top up. I wouldn't have had a problem mounting a DR main unit anywhere in that car - center console, glovebox, or even the pocket under the radio. heck, even behind the passenger seat, just above the ECU would have been fine, since you don't need to get to it that often once it's installed. i don't know what year your mx5 is, but 89-06 (1st gen "NA" and 2nd gen "NB") were very similar in build and shared a LOT of parts (i put an NB top/frame and roll bar on my NA - no modification necessary), so if you need help - just ask. :) I even mounted the rear cam w/ 3m dual-lock (heavy duty velcro) and modified the cable for my rear cam so i could quickly move the camera to be just above the mirror, pointed at myself, so i could critique my own driving on the autocross course. granted, that was MANY years ago, and obviously not a DR - it was actually this camera, which has long since been retired to my bin 'o random electronics.

Smart people are always their own largest critic.

Does this camera have any screen up front? How will you know for sure that its recording properly?

With my other Street Guardian I can manually look at the screen to make sure its recording properly.

Will both cameras record to the same SD card or will it record to different SD cards?

Thanks for any answers to these questions.

The DR model are Dual Remote cameras, so no it do not have a LCD screen on the front camera, but it do have that on the main unit you hide somewhere in your car, that screen i figure will work just like on any other current SG camera.
And as current dual dashcams both cameras will record to 1 memory card ( A ) marked files is front camera - ( B ) marked files are rear camera.
So looking at the recorded file you have files with the usual date/time name + A or B for the 2 cameras, so in general the names will look like this on the memory card:
xxxxxxxxA
xxxxxxxxB
xxxxxxxxA
xxxxxxxxB

And so on

As i understand there are no visual means of checking recording at least if you have the main unit hidden / out of view ( which are the whole idea of a DR style camera )
But all modern cameras will beep like insane if they are encountering problems.

The DR model are Dual Remote cameras, so no it do not have a LCD screen on the front camera, but it do have that on the main unit you hide somewhere in your car, that screen i figure will work just like on any other current SG camera.
And as current dual dashcams both cameras will record to 1 memory card ( A ) marked files is front camera - ( B ) marked files are rear camera.
So looking at the recorded file you have files with the usual date/time name + A or B for the 2 cameras, so in general the names will look like this on the memory card:
xxxxxxxxA
xxxxxxxxB
xxxxxxxxA
xxxxxxxxB

And so on

As i understand there are no visual means of checking recording at least if you have the main unit hidden / out of view ( which are the whole idea of a DR style camera )
But all modern cameras will beep like insane if they are encountering problems.
i know the DR is supposed to have a remote button for use locking files - maybe it will have a status LED?

It would indeed be nice, but i think the event button will be BT and so wireless.
So outside of having a dedicated wire come off the box just for a status LED, then you are down to 2 options:
1: on the front camera
2: on the GPS antenna as the K2S have, its actually 4 LED's on the K2S so its almost a ring of light on the K2S GPS antenna, albeit a very faint LED light ring, absolutely not annoying and i have the K2S GPS right in front of me in the upper Left corner of my windscreen.

Back