SG9663DR update

The free dashcam viewer software with SG cameras are for playing the memory card content on a PC or MAC, you can not access the footage / camera over wifi with the player.
The wifi only work with the Android or IOS APP, you can do settings - use liver view ( have to start record manual then ) and you can preview and DL video files to your phone.
I was aware of this and do know that the App for android/IOS is different than the computer Dashcam viewer and what each one does/does not do (but I am not saying that I know how to use the viewer or app or cam) . Though thank you for your reply, maybe others don't know the difference as I was not specific to differentiate. BTW only common sense would be to turn off a device before removing the card, but again thank you for the info. as some people do not know common sense. I may get back on here later when I get the thing delivered next week to ask stupid questions because the full instructions are not available yet, boooo and will appreciate your/anyone's help.

Last edited:
Just to add to my previous post. Of course it's all relative. If @vipergts2207 has only used something that looks like a point & shoot camera dangling off a suction cup, obviously this will look super stealthy. But if you've used a dual-channel model like the DC, the DR does leave a lot to be desired. Even the main unit on the DC is more stealthy if mounted correctly.

The K2S is fine now that i have moved it off the OBD adapter for power, at least it look to be i have not looked at its memory card since i rearranged it so i better take a look later today.
Today people should of course go for the PRO version with IMX 291 all around.
I have been playing with the idea of fitting a wider FOV lens, but unsure how it will fit in the small housing, it will pretty much have to screw in like the old one, otherwise i will have to space the camera out from the glass with something.
And i think i have to of i do that, a wider FOV lens might also have a wider diameter on the front of the lens, so it can probably not screw in the housing anyway, so modifying the housings are also something one have to do if a aftermatket lens have the same back focal length as the factory lens, a longer back focal length might be preferred i think.

You conveniently didn't bother to answer my question about how many dash cams you've owned or had personal hands-on experience with. FYI, a couple of cameras I've owned or tested are two channel models and they did indeed come with 12V plugs. In one case, both types were supplied.

BTW, I happen to have two 12V sockets in my truck and both power dash cams. They have literally no effect on the otherwise very stealthy nature of my 5 camera dash cam installation. You'd need to sit in one of the front seats and really look hard to see them and you've have no way to even know what they are powering. For those of us who have been using dash cams for many years the issue of stealth has far more to to do with the visibility of the cameras themselves, not how the are plugged in. People have all kinds of devices plugged into 12V power outlets these days.

Also, BTW, I use 12V adapters withdual USB-A ports in them. USB-A 12V cigarette adapters with a supllied power cable would be an inexpensive and simple option for the SG9663DR. Such a solution would certainly "fit in the box". Other manufacturers provide USB-A 12V adapters as the standard power supply these days. Many find this approach useful and practical because it provides a convenient method for swapping from you vehicles 12V power to a power bank.

What does the number of cams I’ve used have to do with the price of tea in China? You’ve used more, congratulations. Seems like an obvious attempt avoid addressing my points and instead try to argue from authority. And dual channel is not dual remote. Installing the latter is inherently more difficult and works against the point of a quick and easy cigarette plug. In any case, not sure why you don’t just buy a product on the market that actually meets your needs. Going full DR cam and using a cigarette plug is straight half-assing the install, not to mention the lost functionality.

Last edited:
Me and a few others are the only authorities on dual remote as we have used the K2S for a year.
Though the K2S is a whole other game i think, the DR just on looks at least seem to have more in common with MC cameras ( dual channel / remote )

But i cant go throwing metaphors and superlatives around when i haven't tried the DR yet

On the K2S it is good it is supplied with a bracket that clamp down on the bank of USB C plugs in the end of the camera, if it was not there it could be a weak point of its design.

The K2S also still have its issues, you can just go look in its sub forum, but as far as i can tell on the major part of recording usable video it seem to be functioning well.
But there is a Audio issue ( noise ) but audio are not big for me as i have several places to go for that.

You sound increasingly like an opinionated guy with little actual experience with dash cams. ;)

I suppose a thanks is in order for coming right out and admitting that you have no arguments against the points actually raised, choosing rather to attack the messenger. Clearly we all have opinions here, as you’ve so amply demonstrated yourself. Anyway, someone spending the extra money on a DR cam would be best served doing the install the right way, rather than the lazy way.

Last edited:
I suppose a thanks is in order for coming right out and admitting that you have no arguments against the points actually raised, choosing rather to attack the messenger. Clearly we all have opinions here, as you’ve so amply demonstrated yourself. Anyway, someone spending the extra money on a DR cam would be best served doing the install the right way, rather than the lazy way.

Oh, I have plenty to say and I will, but I'd rather not waste time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I’m the troll here lol. You complain that:

-You have to pay extra for an adapter.
-It’s outrageously overpriced.
-The cameras are too big.
-The mounting bracket’s too big.

You even say, “I'm curious to know how you conclude that the ability to plug the camera into a 12V power source is ‘something which is not actually needed by the majority.’ Then again, it is up to you if you want to market a camera that immediately eliminates quite a large swath of potential buyers who, for various reasons would prefer or require that method.”

It all comes across so very whiny and salty, especially considering that you can still get the adapter if you insist on that kind of install. And it’s been offered here for free to boot.

As for the reasoning for including hardwire power cables instead, that wouldn’t be a hard justification to make if their internal sales data points to that being the more popular method. If 75% of their SG9663DC cams were purchased with a hardwire kit, it would be very easy to conclude that at least 75% of their DR customers would be going the hardwire route as well, and to then base the product offering around that reality. It’s no different than the exact opposite scenario with the rest of their cams where some customers previously had to buy extra hardware to power it their preferred way of hardwiring. The only difference is who has to make the additional purchase. From your perspective it might be $20 more for your preferred install ($0 actually considering the standing offer I’ve seen), but it’s actually $40 cheaper for mine.

We get it, you waited over 2 years for this camera and it’s not what you personally wanted it to be and now you’re mad and want to vent about it.

It do sound like the DR are not quite what people expected, and this is of course too bad, but none of us have any leverage with SG and they make the cameras they want to.
I dont think at any time SG have lead anyone to draw any conclusions, at least i can recall any mentioning of small or extraordinary small remote cameras, and i can not recall any mentioning of shape of the cameras, the only thing my goo seem to have stored is the recessed USB plugs.

So the dish of the day for many of us are high hopes with a side order of broken dreams.

Yes, I’m the troll here lol. You complain that:

-You have to pay extra for an adapter.
-It’s outrageously overpriced.
-The cameras are too big.
-The mounting bracket’s too big.

All true.

As far as you are concerned I have no interest in any further interaction with the likes of you. You seem like a fanboy who doesn't even own the camera yet except that all of your ten posts to the forum so far have been to this thread alone. Have you even ever owned a dash cam previously?

All true.

As far as you are concerned I have no interest in any further interaction with the likes of you. You seem like a petty little fanboy who doesn't even own the camera yet except that all of your ten posts to the forum so far have been to this thread alone. Have you even ever owned a dash cam previously?

You say you have no interest in further interaction with me, only to then proceed to ask more questions. Please make up your mind dude, lmao. Yes I have. Now I’m wondering what that has to do with the merits of this cam and the associated packaging decisions. Best I can tell there’s no link, other than in your own head that is. Seeing as how you don’t own the cam either, if that’s the piss poor logic you want to use, I suppose your thoughts on the camera are as valid as mine, which is to say they’re apparently not.

Last edited:
You say you have no interest in further interaction with me, only to then proceed to ask more questions. Please make up your mind dude, lmao. Yes I have. Now I’m wondering what that has to do with the merits of this cam and the associated packaging decisions. Best I can tell there’s no link, other than in your own head.

Well, I asked if you have any previous experience with dash cams because your commentary comes across as naive and not knowing what you are talking about.

Be that as it may, it is interesting how you've engaged in juvenille personal attacks directed towards me simply because my initial impressions of the camera disagree with yours. People have different needs and requirements when it comes to dash cams. You might note that so far, everyone who has also expressed similar impressions and concerns about the design of the DR have all been very long time members here with a wealth of dash camera experience and who spent two and a half years waiting for a camera that turned out to be anything but what we anticipated to the point of being a deal breaker.

Of course, we have yet to see how the camera actually performs and that too could be a whole other kettle of fish.

In any event, at this juncture my friend, you need to stop with the provocative insults and trolling and move along.

Not much of a launch party when what should be a new post with pictures of camera, specs, etc should be in it's own new thread, post#1.

I decided to check on progress, got lucky, but I haven't been getting notifications from this thread because I haven't visited the last stupid reply someone gave here.

It's sort of a soft launch right now yes, full user manual and updated specs/detail page web pages being drafted as we speak.
I have a professional marketing company working on a nice video soon as well.

It's sort of a soft launch right now yes, full user manual and updated specs/detail page web pages being drafted as we speak.
I have a professional marketing company working on a nice video soon as well.

Would like to see some image capture and video samples soon. :)

Well, I asked if you have any previous experience with dash cams because your commentary comes across as naive and not knowing what you are talking about.

Be that as it may, it is interesting how you've engaged in juvenille personal attacks directed towards me simply because my initial impressions of the camera disagree with yours. People have different needs and requirements when it comes to dash cams. You might note that so far, everyone who has also expressed similar impressions and concerns about the design of the DR have all been very long time members here with a wealth of dash camera experience and who spent two and a half years waiting for a camera that turned out to be anything but what we anticipated to the point of being a deal breaker.

Of course, we have yet to see how the camera actually performs and that too could be a whole other kettle of fish.

In any event, at this juncture my friend, you need to stop with the provocative insults and trolling and move along.

Personal attacks? Where? Maybe you should reread through your own comments, but you were the first to throw out an ad hominem, calling me a ‘troll’. That’s what you call projection, friend. If anyone should move along perhaps it’s you, since clearly this product is not for you.

In the words of Jimmie, Come on.

south-park-s07e11c03-cartman-beats-up-jimmy-16x9.jpg

Back