SG9663DR update

Street Guardian USA was kind enough to ship the last one for my order, guess it'll get here in 2 business days from FL to CA via USPS.
bet mine will get to Martinez before yours to San Ramon. Jon could have shipped them both in the same box, lol.

Humm, maybe not. tracking shows only label created, not sent out to facility yet.

Last edited:
hehe imagine only weeks ago SG products came out of nevada

If it was actually an improvement in regard to a stealthy design when compared to the current DC rear camera, your point would be valid, but it's not. So, as much as you and SG want to believe this is a stealthy design and hence doesn't warrant including a 12V cig lighter adapter, it's actually a step backwards.
the cameras are interchangeable, we were going to use the same camera originally but decided against that for a number of reasons, how stealth it is or isn't was not the deciding factor in not including a cig charger power supply, we could have easily supplied with a cig plug instead and made the hardwire the option like it is on the other models, it's a more complex install than the other models, that and the fact that for DCPRO the majority get hardwired

Just to add to my previous post. Of course it's all relative. If @vipergts2207 has only used something that looks like a point & shoot camera dangling off a suction cup, obviously this will look super stealthy. But if you've used a dual-channel model like the DC, the DR does leave a lot to be desired. Even the main unit on the DC is more stealthy if mounted correctly.
you're thinking of rear camera, for the front camera it's a smaller footprint than the DC

the cameras are interchangeable, we were going to use the same camera originally but decided against that for a number of reasons, how stealth it is or isn't was not the deciding factor in not including a cig charger power supply, we could have easily supplied with a cig plug instead and made the hardwire the option like it is on the other models, it's a more complex install than the other models, that and the fact that for DCPRO the majority get hardwired
In the future, will there be support for other cameras? I'm an image sensor characterization engineer with systems experience so I realize how difficult and costly it could be, but if that's something you've planned for then maybe it's possible.

In the future, will there be support for other cameras?
it is possible, the housing has been designed for use with a few different models so there is room for what we need with different lenses, sensors etc, also the camera end of the cable is the 10 pin USB that we use on other models so for example the existing rear camera for DCPRO is compatible already

I would be interested in IMX482 for example, it's a quad-bayer 2.9um binned sensor for a 5.8um pixel. Basically the same as IMX462 but binned.
I realize IMX291 is also a 2.9um pixel, but binning it would readuce read noise, which would be very good for low light performance.

I would be interested in IMX482 for example, it's a quad-bayer 2.9um binned sensor for a 5.8um pixel. Basically the same as IMX462 but binned.
I realize IMX291 is also a 2.9um pixel, but binning it would readuce read noise, which would be very good for low light performance.
that's something I'd like in a future version also, we are working on stuff that is 18~24 months away so something like this may be feasible as we get closer

which would be very good for low light performance

Yes there seem to be some advantages of this pixel gluing approach, i have been wondering on it too, but never pushed it much as i am not aware if the SOC support such things.

Yes there seem to be some advantages of this pixel gluing approach, i have been wondering on it too, but never pushed it much as i am not aware if the SOC support such things.
Binning is done 2 ways, physically connecting the pixels together or using switches to connect multiple pixels for readout, the latter is how it's usually done in order to have full resolution capability as well as binned mode. Both methods are done on the sensor, not on SoC. SoC just has to load/set different registers to enable binned mode.

I'm not sure why Sony saw the benefit of making a whole new sensor out of IMX462, but they did utilize quad-bayer which should help with artifact aliasing.

The 48 mpix sensor in my phone, binned up to be 12 mpix there is a world in difference in low light performance.
But i have not looked at what it do in regular light or if it even are possible to get the 48 mpix sensor to go into 12 mpix mode during the day.

Just a stupid phone camera so not something i use much.

The 48 mpix sensor in my phone, binned up to be 12 mpix there is a world in difference in low light performance.
But i have not looked at what it do in regular light or if it even are possible to get the 48 mpix sensor to go into 12 mpix mode during the day.

Just a stupid phone camera so not something i use much.

There are many tricks to get low light pictures, some use simple binned mode but you see that with resolution being halved (# of pix / 4), others like on iPhones and Androids utilize multiple frame stacking, but this requires stationary camera, not viable for video. So don't confuse phone's picture capture performance to video performance. Also, if you have a high end phone, over the last half a decade, the image sensor silicon size for cameras in phones has grew significantly, so image sensors not only have more pixels but also more light collection area.

the housing has been designed for use with a few different models...... for example the existing rear camera for DCPRO is compatible already
So, in theory, it would be possible to use the DR main unit and 2x DCPRO rear cameras?

Personally I like the tube style of the DR cameras, but I can see why others might prefer mini wedge cameras.

TonyM said:
So, in theory, it would be possible to use the DR main unit and 2x DCPRO rear cameras?
jokiin said:
yes that works fine
In curiosity.... then why did you not just use the rear camera from the DC for the DR instead to tooling a new one? I cannot compare to know, only guessing from the photos posted here, the DR cam does look to be smaller than the DC's remote one. Getting it off the glass might have also helped with less heat. Not bashing here just wondring...my DR is to arrive this week.

Last edited:
In curiosity.... then why did you not just use the rear camera from the DC for the DR instead to tooling a new one? I cannot compare to know, only guessing from the photos posted here, the DR cam does look to be smaller than the DC's remote one. Not bashing here just wondring...my DR is to arrive this week.
the old camera is not smaller as such, it's a different shape, there are a number of reasons we updated to this design, performance is one of the main reasons though

Back