SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

425 MPH!!

I had a very weird GPS glitch in VLC while checking out footage from my replacement GC and v.19 today. It seems to have been a one time playback event as I can't reproduce it in subsequent attempts in VLC or in other media players.
Has anyone else seen anything like this?
425mph.jpg

425 MPH!!

I had a very weird GPS glitch in VLC while checking out footage from my replacement GC and v.19 today. It seems to have been a one time playback event as I can't reproduce it in subsequent attempts in VLC or in other media players.
View attachment 23898
On the way back from my Dad's funeral the other day (which included the above clip with the trees), when viewing with Registrator viewer video of it I noticed the graph for the speed was all out of whack. This was caused by a spike in my recorded GPS speed at one spot although it didn't show on any of the frames of the video overlay.
nI429e9.jpg

15,580 KM/H :D

Well I messed that up. I swapped microSD cards and forgot to format the second card after inserting it. The card was full so the DCIM file structure only contains one video file. :oops: I will update from beta 16 to 20 and then erase both this time.

However, under certain challenging lighting situations the camera seems to still manifest some of the same inability to handle high contrast lighting, especially with bright sunshine on the pavement with trees on either side of the road.
I noticed the same problems prior to the recent betas. When the sun is off to the side, driving through shadows would cause the picture to bloom and recover, bloom and recover. I will try to capture that .. again. :rolleyes:

425 MPH!!

View attachment 23898
Should you really be driving that fast on those back roads [emoji14]

Seriously though, it's a GPS glitch when a new satellite is picked up, it relates to its previous anticipated position compared to actual position when it updates which is why the speed jumps suddenly for a second or so before it corrects itself, it's something we're still working on improving

On the way back from my Dad's funeral the other day (which included the above clip with the trees), when viewing with Registrator viewer video of it I noticed the graph for the speed was all out of whack. This was caused by a spike in my recorded GPS speed at one spot although it didn't show on any of the frames of the video overlay.
nI429e9.jpg

15,580 KM/H :D

And I thought I was going fast! :D

Should you really be driving that fast on those back roads [emoji14]

Seriously though, it's a GPS glitch when a new satellite is picked up, it relates to its previous anticipated position compared to actual position when it updates which is why the speed jumps suddenly for a second or so before it corrects itself, it's something we're still working on improving

Not seen this ever before in the last 15 months of having five SG9665GC units in my possession. FWIW, the GPS module is the same one that has been installed since the defective one shipped with my first GC, so from my perspective it's only occurred with this new camera I've had for 48 hours.

It's a firmware thing, nothing to do with the camera or GPS

That makes sense. I guess suddenly having a new camera in hand created another variable rather than a glitch that appeared just by loading new firmware into a unit I'm already familiar with.

that's an expensive drop

That's one reason to avoid such large capacity cards I guess. I find that 64GB cards give me the best price/performance/capacity/reliability equation. Eight hours or so of recording is more than enough to cover my needs per day.

Yeah there's quite a few changes that you wouldn't have had a chance to play with until now

To anyone that gets one of these spikes if you can save a screenshot and just keep the original file on hand in case we need it to check the embedded data would be appreciated, we may not necessarily need the file so I won't ask anyone to upload unless it's absolutely necessary, we know what causes this already and it's a bit of a process of elimination to sort out the code to fix it, the engineer from our GPS supplier has been helping with this already

That's one reason to avoid such large capacity cards I guess. I find that 64GB cards give me the best price/performance/capacity/reliability equation. Eight hours or so of recording is more than enough to cover my needs per day.
I use a 200gb card in mine, only so I can collect more data really, it's excessive for normal use, as you say 64gb is currently a good value proposition

I use 128GB cards only so I can record an entire 'long weekend' (generally no more than 14-15 hours of drive time) and not worry about something 'interesting' happening and it being overwritten.

Yeah there's quite a few changes that you wouldn't have had a chance to play with until now

To anyone that gets one of these spikes if you can save a screenshot and just keep the original file on hand in case we need it to check the embedded data would be appreciated, we may not necessarily need the file so I won't ask anyone to upload unless it's absolutely necessary, we know what causes this already and it's a bit of a process of elimination to sort out the code to fix it, the engineer from our GPS supplier has been helping with this already

In the meantime, I hope I don't get pulled over and asked to show my footage. :p

The GPS speed spike is interesting...sometimes when I go running with my Garmin forerunner watch it will spike in a similar way, i.e. Suddenly say I'm running at 50mph!

I understand you say this never happened before, so logically it must be a change in firmware etc, but just saying that it does sometimes happen on other equipment as well.

Been quiet so far but watching this thread eagerly awaiting a full release. Dashcam removed from car at the moment whilst I try to perfect my installation site.

The GPS speed spike is interesting...sometimes when I go running with my Garmin forerunner watch it will spike in a similar way, i.e. Suddenly say I'm running at 50mph!

I understand you say this never happened before, so logically it must be a change in firmware etc, but just saying that it does sometimes happen on other equipment as well.

Been quiet so far but watching this thread eagerly awaiting a full release. Dashcam removed from car at the moment whilst I try to perfect my installation site.

we never had on screen display of speed in earlier versions, the issue was there but easily missed and not such a problem as it wasn't in the video anyway, we know why it happens, that's no problem, just a matter of writing code to ignore the anomalies, the way it's done on some platforms means the speed displayed is often delayed excessively, that's an easier way around the issue I guess but it makes the speed shown much less accurate, trying to avoid doing it that way if possible, I'd prefer to keep the speed display as close to real time as possible

Back