SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

BTW, here is a little update to my situation.

I keep trying different things in an attempt to improve my results. By "different things" I mean - Full Frame - Center Cut and Low Cut, -/+ EV settings and aiming the lens higher and lower.

While the current Beta 22 has come a long way in improving the camera's tendency to blow out the upper tonal range and highlights, the results (at least for me with a dark blue vehicle) have been problematic because the camera now tends to yield footage that is too dark and too contrasty. Basically, the camera's WDR performance is poor.

The best setting I've found is Full Frame, -/+ EV 0 - WDR On with the lens pointing lower with more hood.

What is interesting about my results here is that previous to the recent firmware update with the new AE tables, my results were sometimes improved by tilting the camera to have less hood in the FOV. Now it is the opposite.

Unfortunately, what seems to be happening with the Beta 22 release is that I can achieve a more balanced exposure by aiming the lens downwards to have less hood in the FOV but that exacerbates the tendency to blow out the upper tonal range in high contrast WDR situations. As I've been saying, since I live in an environment with lots of trees and hills, the blow-outs are often constant as I drive along.

Notice how dark this image is with a lot of sky and only a small portion of my vehicle's hood in the FOV.
This has been typical (Full Frame EV-0 - WDR-On)

dark.jpg

Here, I've used the exact same exposure settings on the camera but have simply pointed the lens down to include more hood in the FOV.
A BIG improvment.
normal.jpg

Unfortunately, tilting the lens downwards with those exposure settings that work well in the above image results in blown out upper tonal range footage in a more challenging environment.
These blow-out events are short lived and much improved over earlier firmware but in my driving environment they are constant and repeat relentlessly every few seconds or minutes and therein lies the problem I've been trying to address here.
This image was shot about twenty minutes before the above well exposed one.

bright.jpg

Much of my driving is along roads that look like this and the result is that cars, pedestrians and objects are often lost in the glare even if the glare lasts only moments until it then appears again.
This image was shot about three minutes before the one above.

bright2.jpg

Let's hope Beta 26 makes further headway towards a remedy.

Edit: I almost forgot....

Here is an image taken on the same road under similar lighting conditions with the lens tilted upwards for less hood in the image. Notice how the blown out upper tonal range is much improved. Of course, this now yields too dark footage under more balanced lighting conditions such as in the first image in this post.
lesshood.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, here is a little update to my situation.

I keep trying different things in an attempt to improve my results. By "different things" I mean - Full Frame - Center Cut and Low Cut, -/+ EV settings and aiming the lens higher and lower.

While the current Beta 22 has come a long way in improving the camera's tendency to blow out the upper tonal range and highlights, the results (at least for me with a dark blue vehicle) have been problematic because the camera now tends to yield footage that is too dark and too contrasty. Basically, the camera's WDR performance is poor.

The best setting I've found is Full Frame, -/+ EV 0 - WDR On with the lens pointing lower with more hood.

What is interesting about my results here is that previous to the recent firmware update with the new AE tables, my results were sometimes improved by tilting the camera to have less hood in the FOV. Now it is the opposite.

Unfortunately, what seems to be happening with the Beta 22 release is that I can achieve a more balanced exposure by aiming the lens downwards to have less hood in the FOV but that exacerbates the tendency to blow out the upper tonal range in high contrast WDR situations. As I've been saying, since I live in an environment with lots of trees and hills, the blow-outs are often constant as I drive along.

Notice how dark this image is with a lot of sky and only a small portion of my vehicles hood in the FOV.
This has been typical (Full Frame EV-0 - WDR-On)

View attachment 25180

Here, I've used the exact same exposure settings on the camera but have simply pointed the lens down to include more hood in the FOV.
A BIG improvment.
View attachment 25182

Unfortunately, tilting the lens downwards with those exposure settings that work well in the above image results in blown out upper tonal range footage in a more challenging environment.
These blow-out events are short lived and much improved over earlier firmware but in my driving environment they are constant and relentless and therein lies the problems I've been trying to address here.
This image was shot about twenty minutes before the above well exposed one.

View attachment 25181

Much of my driving is along roads that look like this and the result is that cars, pedestrians and objects are often lost in the glare even if the glare lasts only moments until it then appears again.
This image was shot about three minutes before the one above.

View attachment 25184

Let's hope Beta 26 makes further headway toward a remedy.
2nd footage "tilting the lens downwards" seems to be very sharp and very acceptable compared to 1st footage. The one before the last footage seems too bright because of the exposure flaw but this would still be acceptable to me. As long as the footage would be acceptable in case of an accident, and from what I see on these samples yes I think its ok. That is my opinion as I am not so concerned as long as I can use the footage as proof in an accident. Also just realized what happened to beta 23,24,25?

Last edited:
2nd footage "tilting the lens downwards" seems to be very sharp and very acceptable compared to 1st footage. The last footage seems too bright because of the exposure flaw but this would still be acceptable to me. As long as the footage would be acceptable in case of an accident, and from what I see on these samples yes I think its ok. That is my opinion as I am not so concerned as long as I can use the footage as proof in an accident. Also just realized what happened to beta 23,24,25?

The problem is that entire vehicles and pedestrians can become lost in the glare. It would be all too easy to miss capturing vital details of an event. THAT is the issue.

The SG9665GC is touted on this web site as "Overall one of the best cameras on the market today for video quality". It is not.

The new Mobius 2 is only on its initial firmware iteration and still needs much work but compare the dynamic range handling.

mobi2.jpg

Last edited:
Gamma way too high, no blacks, by far

Gamma is low actually, but the overall Wide Dynamic Range on the new Mobius 2 is superb compared to the SG9665GC.

The ability to lower the Gamma curve can work wonders for revealing shadow detail hidden in some dash cam footage. The problem with that is when you need to hand over raw footage to law enforcement, courts, or insurance companies. What is required is at least reasonably good footage in the first place. In addition, adjusting the Gamma curve will never be able to bring out details that were never existent in the bright areas of the footage to begin with.

Last edited:
05. Change Audio recording mic setting
Just installed a new firmware and did not find the audio recording level adjustment feature. That is how it should be?

link to the latest beta added to the first post

Thanks jokiin :)

I had my first failure on Beta 22 on Friday morning, the old 'stopped recording after 4s' and Registrator Viewer not being able to open the file with a 'Splitter not found' error (not there would be anything to see as it was only 4s long). This is the first time I've had a problem since replacing the power cable with the new one you sent me.

What's weird is although I have the screen saver set to 15s, I generally check each time during the drive to ensure the recording light is blinking. If the unit isn't recording, shouldn't it reboot itself? Maybe I just missed it Friday morning and forgot to check. I'm assuming the unit just locks up after the 4s so can't even reboot itself.

Anyway, not to worry. I've upgraded to Beta 26 now so I'll see how it goes from now on ;)

What memory card are you using?

Hey mate, the same one as before, the 128GB Transcend Premium 400x. The last time it did this you got me to run h2testw on it it it found no errors.

how long since it was last formatted?
It's probably been a couple of months. Might format it tomorrow and see how it goes. Not too worried, it's not like it's continually failing but better to be safe than sorry :)

It's probably been a couple of months. Might format it tomorrow and see how it goes. Not too worried, it's not like it's continually failing but better to be safe than sorry :)

yeah doesn't hurt to format it every now and again just to reset the partition table, let me know if it happens again and I'll give you another process to run if it does

Here is the Beta v26 FW microphone test comparing NORMAL vs VERY LOUD music volume playback.

I have added Mega.nz original files download links ( HERE ) in case YT monetises videos.

Normal playback volume level

VERY LOUD playback volume level with deep soft bass, the result is - almost no sound recording distortion like on other daschams or even if using mobile phone to record video / audio in the same environment.
I have EVA foam pads added to SG9665GC windshield mount to minimise vibrations, but speakers grills and other in-car plastics still vibrates from deep heavy bass ( you can hear this ). For test purpose I am talking with half of my voice to see ( hear ) how it will be picked up by microphone and with headphones my voice still can be heard despite very loud music.

Back