SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

Thanks Niko, good demo. You're right the new mic / gain performance is better than ever in Beta 26. *loving it*
Yeah, I really like how clear the music is recorded. Under "clear recording" I mean comparison with prevuios FW and vs all other dashcams I tested in the past.
Very important is voice recording. Just checked loud music YT video clip playback on my phone and I was able to hear "my speach".

Here is the Beta v26 FW microphone test comparing NORMAL vs VERY LOUD music volume playback.

I have added Mega.nz original files download links ( HERE ) in case YT monetises videos.

Normal playback volume level

VERY LOUD playback volume level with deep soft bass, the result is - almost no sound recording distortion like on other daschams or even if using mobile phone to record video / audio in the same environment.
I have EVA foam pads added to SG9665GC windshield mount to minimise vibrations, but speakers grills and other in-car plastics still vibrates from deep heavy bass ( you can hear this ). For test purpose I am talking with half of my voice to see ( hear ) how it will be picked up by microphone and with headphones my voice still can be heard despite very loud music.

Ok for sound, but most important was the past exposure flaws corrected in different bright/dark scenarios with beta 26?

Ok for sound, but most important was the past exposure flaws corrected in different bright/dark scenarios with beta 26?
This particular example was only for sound test. EV are still under testing. One step at a time ;)

Tried Beta 26 this morning, the Center cut seems to work good for me, though I generally only drive the same route every morning and then home, and I don't have
before and after videos. I tried low cut on the way back, and I don't like about the Low cut is that it seems to overexpose white areas ahead of it.

The "Auto volume" thing seems a little wonky - the first 10 seconds of one video, the audio is, as I can describe, muted-like, then returns to where it should be.

I have just put beta version 26 on. I just wanted to double check that the version is "20160810." Thanks . I haven't tried it out yet though. I literally just put the upgrade on.

I have just put beta version 26 on. I just wanted to double check that the version is "20160810." Thanks . I haven't tried it out yet though. I literally just put the upgrade on.

That's correct 2016 (year) 08 (August) 10 (10th)

Last edited:
Why not try it yourself? You can always revert back if it doesn't work for you.
It's in my son's car and he is in Europe now But I want to know because I'm thinking of buying another one for myself but... only if I hear good things about it.. Waiting for you to post lol but you are slow to report

there are some changes to the AE tables that are still being evaluated, further adjustments are still happening though, it's not the end of it by any means
in other words it's still the same is the message I get from this. Ok you are honest and it is not a deal breaker it still has great color that is sharp

in other words it's still the same is the message I get from this.

not sure how you got that but just to clarify a bit, we made further adjustments to the AE tables, the adjustments made need evaluating, there will either be more adjustments made to the AE table if deemed necessary, or the next adjustments will be related to contrast and brightness values and some other IQ related settings, this is not something where there's an on/off setting, each set of changes needs to be evaluated before moving on to the next part of the process, it's nothing like it was when we started this process but that doesn't mean we've stopped working on improving it

not sure how you got that but just to clarify a bit, we made further adjustments to the AE tables, the adjustments made need evaluating, there will either be more adjustments made to the AE table if deemed necessary, or the next adjustments will be related to contrast and brightness values and some other IQ related settings, this is not something where there's an on/off setting, each set of changes needs to be evaluated before moving on to the next part of the process, it's nothing like it was when we started this process but that doesn't mean we've stopped working on improving it
Thank you for explaining. But I am very confused, Its either fixed or not fixed. With all due respect every time u release a beta firmware update. It seems that you really cannot get a handle on the exposure once and for all. Don't get me wrong even with that said, it still is the best DVR on the market. And there is a good chance I will still buy a second one.

Fixed or not fixed is a simple yes or no when talking about things like a GPS problem or a file handling bug but it's subjective at best when talking about image related adjustments, without exception there is room for improvement in image quality with every single camera in the market, we have room for improvement also

It's in my son's car and he is in Europe now But I want to know because I'm thinking of buying another one for myself but... only if I hear good things about it.. Waiting for you to post lol but you are slow to report

Well, Gee, beta 26 was only just released and it takes time for people to do a proper evaluation. Be patient and I'm sure reports will filter in from other DCT members. As for me, I flashed the new firmware only on Sunday and have had no spare time to even think about reviewing test footage from the GC, plus I happen to be working on an unrelated matter with a different developer that has priority at the moment. And today is overcast, so it will be a while yet before I could offer any feedback anyway. Hang in there. :)

Edit: @jokiin's right, firmware development when it comes to image quality is a process, not either or.

Last edited:
Beta 26, metering - centre cut ( Please ignore the timestamp as I forgot to set the time zone after updating)

As soon as I make the U-turn, it gets dark

The sun is not in the same position as the videos posted here. Will try tomorrow, weather and time permitting.

This one is from a little earlier with the CPL on.

Back