SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

no dashcam will capture licence plates at night all the time, in ideal circumstances you'll get detail but plenty of time you won't get much useful info off a plate at night, the revenue our governments like to collect ensure that we have highly reflective license plates that work very well with their speed and red light camera equipment

And I have some issues with that as well. Reflective licenceplates over here make it impossible to read them at night. I could try without the WDR, but I fear that it is an issue with all dashcams.
And when you pass the car so the plates are not in the beam, the exposure time at night is so long you motionblur it and then can't read it either.

With the current state of the art in small SoC cameras like dash cams or action cams reading license plates at night (and sometimes even during the day) with all the reflections, glare and motion is usually more or less impossible. I don't believe that will improve anytime soon unless there is some sort of technical breakthrough.

To capture plates at night would require much larger CMOS sensors working with more powerful DSPs along with much larger, faster, higher quality lenses that have mechanical apertures. A dash cam would likely cost a couple of thousand dollars and would be as large as a DSLR or professional camcorder.

Last edited:
Rainbow effect gone after removing the CPL

CPL
CPL.jpg

Without CPL

NO CPL.jpg

What's causing it though?

I hesitate to answer that....

/Starting countdown for Pier28 or jokiin offering to replace the CPL.

I'm not sure replacing the filter will actually change anything, I suspect it's something that is inherent to the filter material itself, the filter is being updated for a number of reasons so will have to see how the new filters compare I think

It may well have to to with the (tempered) window or any tinting of that window. There's a nice explanation here: https://www.revantoptics.com/blog/why-youre-seeing-rainbows-in-car-windows/

So the next test is to get the camera out of the car and test again. You can also try pointing the cam through other windows of the car wit and without filter. You should see differences.

If the rainbow remains the CPL is at fault.

I'm not sure replacing the filter will actually change anything, I suspect it's something that is inherent to the filter material itself, the filter is being updated for a number of reasons so will have to see how the new filters compare I think

It may well have to to with the (tempered) window of any tinting of that window. There's a nice explanation here: https://www.revantoptics.com/blog/why-youre-seeing-rainbows-in-car-windows/

So the next test is to get the camera out of the car and test again. You can also try pointing the cam through other windows of the car wit and without filter. You should see differences.

If the rainbow remains the CPL is at fault.

Doesn't really bother me as long as it affects only the upper 20% of the view with the CPL. Will check with the camera outside just to be sure though.

Last edited:
Canada Amazon Prime stock replenishment is a few weeks away unfortunately. Go ahead and buy one from blackboxmycar or Amazon .com instead of .ca in the short term.
Checked out blackboxmycar and don't think that ordering from that company is acceptable for me. First of all they added .13% ($32. )Canadian Tax to the end total and their return policy will deduct $20 from the refund if I return to them. And if it comes from the blackboxmycar in USA Canada Customs will charge me between 20% and 30% excise tax.
Amazon.CA is the best way in Canada to order your SG. No taxes no deductions and hassle free no deductible returns. Also forgot to mention If I use my credit card as we all do the credit card company will do the math for the money exchange and add it to my total also.

I can guarantee you won't be charged any customs if you order from .com Fulfilled by merchant. Pier28 has special dual UPS accounts and all duty/tax is paid for by Pier28. I'll personally send you a prepaid international UPS label if you're not satisfied.

I can guarantee you won't be charged any customs if you order from .com Fulfilled by merchant. Pier28 has special dual UPS accounts and all duty/tax is paid for by Pier28. I'll personally send you a prepaid international UPS label if you're not satisfied.
.com meaning Amazon.com? In Canada your price is $270 that's it nothing else but If I buy .com will the money exchange cost more in the end?

Are you by any chance on Linux? Before copying the firmware to SD card, rename it to all CAPS.
that's an interesting find, @Feitelijk was having problems previously updating firmware as a Linux user, I didn't even think about case sensitivity at the time, will have to check that out with ours

That does it! I renamed SGGCV2.bin to SGGCV2.BIN and works like a charm!

Might I suggest future beta zips include the all caps firmware?

Rainbow effect gone after removing the CPL

CPL
View attachment 25877

Without CPL

View attachment 25876

What's causing it though?
You can read more in here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/polarizing-filters.htm
or here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)
Polarizing filters can be rotated to maximise or minimise admission of polarised light. They are mounted in a rotating collar for this purpose; one need not screw or unscrew the filter to adjust the effect. Rotating the polarizing filter will make rainbows, reflections, and other polarized light stand out or nearly disappear depending on how much of the light is polarized and the angle of polarization.
The rainbow effect happens with many kind of dashcams. I have every dashcam with CLP has this when i sold them. Exchanging CLP won't change anything.
But the purpose of dashcam is capturing event on roads, not at the sky. So a little rainbox will be no problem at all. Unless you try to make a bolliwood movie :D

As mentioned, the rainbows are not an issue per se, as long as it doesn't affect the lower portion of the frame. I know there aren't any license plates floating in the sky.

:D Not a bollywood film, definitely not! Don't even watch most of what they dish out, it's usually crap.

Last edited:
Is it possible he has the CPL flipped upside down and it's causing the issue?

So I noticed that the only real difference in the SG9665GCv2 firmware version "SG20160809.V2" relative to "SG20160629.V2" according to the release notes is: "Bugfix G-Sensor initilisation process"

Is this fix important enough for me to flash up to "SG20160809.V2"? Or should I just wait for the next major release?

Back