SG9665GC V3 keeps "reformatting" itself periodically & endlessly?

exactly why i haven't got one yet.

Only 56 GB [25%] extra, but I wonder why the Samsung 256 is nearly double the cost of the Sandisk 200 GB micro SD card?
I don't mind buying the Sammy 256, but that's terrible value for money.

Samsung EVO U3 cards are very stable. Prices should come down more eventually.

North America stock will all be bundled with Samsung U3 cards soon unless Transcend prices return to normal. (U3 is an even better value anyway). I've heard U3 cards are as good or better than High Endurance.

So my dashcam all of a sudden starting asking to reformat my card everytime it starts now. This is with the card that came with the camera and is using the newest bin file. It worked fine for 2 whole months without asking, but now is asking again. Very annoying...

So my dashcam all of a sudden starting asking to reformat my card everytime it starts now. This is with the card that came with the camera and is using the newest bin file. It worked fine for 2 whole months without asking, but now is asking again. Very annoying...

Do memory card deep format on your PC (not quick format). Then format inside dashcam.

Do memory card deep format on your PC (not quick format). Then format inside dashcam.
Yea I'll give that a try. Kinda annoying with a pricey dashcam that this stuff happens and by 60 dollar dashcam I never had this issue before and has been using it for almost 2 years now.

What make model size card came with your unit what color is it? Your card is covered under regular warranty support if there is some issue

Format the card once with this
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
(Full long format)

Test the card with
http://download2080.mediafireuserdownload.com/2at26bm6b1xg/t4da2v0v7axs9cz/h2testw_1.4.zip

Then format the card inside the camera and test again

I did it before and it fixed the issue. Not sure why it would happen again 2 months later but I'll give it another go. I'll let you know the model/size/color when I get a chance.

I did it before and it fixed the issue. Not sure why it would happen again 2 months later but I'll give it another go. I'll let you know the model/size/color when I get a chance.

Memory card is the weakest link in any product. We are in the process of switching to U3 cards for 64/128 North America bundles to increase card performance and reliability even further. (currently have mixed stock between Samsung EVO U3, and Transcend 400x Premium) Transcend has been very reliable and stable but their prices are out of control (2-3x normal due to global shortage)

I have something very strange to report.
I have three pairs of dashcams using Vico Power Plus power supply, with a double 12V adapter.

I have a pair of SG9665GC V2 front and rear running Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards, and this pair is fine.
I have a S9665GC V3 front and SGZC12RC V3 rear both using Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards too, and this pair of dash cams is fine too.

However, I also have another pair of SG9665GC V3's for front and rear running Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards, and these two continually reformat themselves!
Presently, I spent a few weeks testing with their original Transcend 32 GB micro SD cards, and they have been fine.
I will try to test the Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards on the pair of V3's again.

Really strange what's going on...

I have something very strange to report.
I have three pairs of dashcams using Vico Power Plus power supply, with a double 12V adapter.

I have a pair of SG9665GC V2 front and rear running Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards, and this pair is fine.
I have a S9665GC V3 front and SGZC12RC V3 rear both using Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards too, and this pair of dash cams is fine too.

However, I also have another pair of SG9665GC V3's for front and rear running Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards, and these two continually reformat themselves!
Presently, I spent a few weeks testing with their original Transcend 32 GB micro SD cards, and they have been fine.
I will try to test the Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards on the pair of V3's again.

Really strange what's going on...
Try to run 3rd pair of GC v3 with 200GB Sandisk one at a time, with and without connected to Vico Power Plus to see if it makes any difference to eliminate variables.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

My camera did this today for the first time. It's only about a month old and I'm using the provided Samsung Evo card that came with the unit. I was able to power off the camera to get it to shape up so I will be keeping an eye on its behavior. I do have a spare card I can try to see if it is indeed a card problem should I have a future issue.

My camera did this today for the first time. It's only about a month old and I'm using the provided Samsung Evo card that came with the unit. I was able to power off the camera to get it to shape up so I will be keeping an eye on its behavior. I do have a spare card I can try to see if it is indeed a card problem should I have a future issue.

do make sure you format the card and don't just dismiss the warning, the camera will prompt this if it finds a file system error on the card

do make sure you format the card and don't just dismiss the warning, the camera will prompt this if it finds a file system error on the card

I did follow the reformat instructions....all three times the camera prompted me to do so. Will keep a close eye on it going forward. Thanks!

I did follow the reformat instructions....all three times the camera prompted me to do so. Will keep a close eye on it going forward. Thanks!

formatting in the camera just resets the allocation table but that may not clear an error on the card, if you see it repeatedly you may need to reset the card back to its default state first, to do that use SDFormatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ (whichever version is appropriate for whatever PC you have) and do a full format (don't do the quick format), this will return the card back to the default settings as per when it was new, after that completes successfully the card will need to be formatted in the camera prior to use

things to do to keep things healthy,

if you access the card in another device, PC, phone, tablet etc make sure to eject the card safely, don't just unplug it

copy files off if you want but don't delete or edit files on the card from another device

format the card when you put it back in the camera

make sure to use the supplied (or one of the approved replacement) power supplies

Last edited:
Very good info, jokiin. I will admit I am guilty of deleting files from my MacBook after copying so obviously I will refrain from doing that in the future. I have been good about formatting when it goes back in the camera, but if I continue to see the message I will do the full format on it to teach it a lesson.

Very good info, jokiin. I will admit I am guilty of deleting files from my MacBook after copying so obviously I will refrain from doing that in the future.

deleting files from a Mac is the number one culprit for causing this issue, if you don't empty the trash on the Mac before ejecting the card you can pretty much guarantee it is going to have an issue with the card, when you get a chance I would definitely recommend going through the full format process with SDFormatter to get things back to how they should be

What make model size card came with your unit what color is it? Your card is covered under regular warranty support if there is some issue

Format the card once with this
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
(Full long format)

Test the card with
http://download2080.mediafireuserdownload.com/2at26bm6b1xg/t4da2v0v7axs9cz/h2testw_1.4.zip

Then format the card inside the camera and test again
Sorry for very late reply, been super busy... Formatted multiple cards and same issue happening still. I tried the sd cards on different dash cams and they work fine, they don't ask to format the card randomly when it starts. SDcards work fine on other cam that was used for a good month with no issues what so ever so I'm pretty sure its just the streetguardian that I have. I already did all the above. This was on a samsung 32gb card and transcend 32gb card.

Sorry for very late reply, been super busy... Formatted multiple cards and same issue happening still. I tried the sd cards on different dash cams and they work fine, they don't ask to format the card randomly when it starts. SDcards work fine on other cam that was used for a good month with no issues what so ever so I'm pretty sure its just the streetguardian that I have. I already did all the above. This was on a samsung 32gb card and transcend 32gb card.

just want to be clear on the issue you have been experiencing, are you seeing the format prompt randomly when the camera starts?

just want to be clear on the issue you have been experiencing, are you seeing the format prompt randomly when the camera starts?
Correct, only when it starts. It will show a blue background with the text asking to format. I have to shut the cam off and turn it back on and most of the times it'll just start working then. It's pretty damn annoying and I just don't want it to fail on me when I need it the most.

Back