SG9665GC VS SGZC12RC

DotsFar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I am looking for a discrete (not easy to see from outside) dash cam with superb picture quality and best possible night view.
I saw a comparison video of SG9665GC and A118 and the night quality was tremendously better in SG9665GC.
This video at 19:11
But how does SG9665GC and SGZC12RC compare ?
Should I consider other cams ?
Pier28 homepage says SGZC12RC is getting a lens update - does anyone know why and what will it change ?
Should SG9665GC have the same upgrade ?

Hi thanks for asking. While there are no direct side by side videos/stills yet of GC vs RC, I'm sure @niko can post some in the near future here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/side-by-side-comparison.66/

Speaking of Niko, if you want to order any Street Guardian products, please use http://hiniko.com
(we don't export Street Guardian products to EU, Australia, CIS)

Here is the new lens update. We created a new version that no longer has any heat related focus shift issues, and is sharper over all.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sgzc12rc-blurry-and-out-of-focus.11899/page-6

The Novatek based SG9665GC has no focus shift and is not produced in the same factory as the Zoran Coach based SGZC12RC. (We use a couple)
They both happen to use the same Sony sensor though.

From another thread:

The new, improved lens arrived today. Many thanks to @niko for excellent support, as always.

I removed the old lens from it's mount by applying thumb & forefinger to the mount locking ring & turning it anti clockwise. Installing the new lens in the old mount was a reversal of the process. Easy.

View attachment 18197

Here's a frame grab from the old lens...

View attachment 18198

Here's one from the new lens...

View attachment 18199

I found this video where they are compared by Niko :)
To my surprise the RC looks more detailed or is it only the contrast that is higher ?
I actually expected the GC to be best - what are others opinion on these cams ?

What is the power consumption for both the SG9665GC and the SGZC12RC?

RC has excellent motion and shock sensing.
I think the GC does not have these features.
Pier28 can correct me. I think both camera have excellent video day, and very good night. Good sound.

Edit: Thanks Jokiin for the correction note below.
The microphone is remote (in the base) of the RC, and on the lens unit of the GC.

Last edited:
RC has excellent motion and shock sensing.
I think the GC does not have these features.
Pier28 can correct me. I think both camera have excellent video day, and very good night. Good sound.

GC has those features but I think it currently works better on RC

To my surprise the RC looks more detailed or is it only the contrast that is higher ?
I actually expected the GC to be best - what are others opinion on these cams ?

GC look smoother then RC ( see the snow drop, moving car ect.. ), maybe the framerate was not the same at this moment.

so is gc better than rc? I cant understand anything from bad quality youtube videos and they are all lower resolution

IMO, from extensive sampling between the two, the GC has the far superior picture of the two. Its sharper, clearer, not quite as saturated and better overall. Not that the RC is bad, just that the GC is better.

Bumping this.

Going to be getting either of these 2 cams but can't make my mind up which to get. I like the RC due to how small the actual cam is but I'd be prepared to sacrifice that if the GC has been picture quality.

Bumping this.

Going to be getting either of these 2 cams but can't make my mind up which to get. I like the RC due to how small the actual cam is but I'd be prepared to sacrifice that if the GC has been picture quality.

If you plan to use your dashcam for motion detection recording while car is parked and you need a pre-buffer recording, then take RC. If you want to use mainly while driving, then GC is good choice.
Also keep in mind RC has microphone built into main unit and if you hide it somewhere in glove-box, then you can not record sound. Also RC dont have GPS logger. If only judging between footage, In day time they are both almost same, RC has slightly wider lens ( you get a little bit more side recording ), but this puts cars numberplate slightly further if comparing vs GC. At night GC has less background noise in pitch black scenes, but overall sensitivity is almost the same. So there are pros and cons for each model and it is very hard to say which one is best. It's all depending what are your priorities.

Last edited:
Thanks again @niko.

Pretty certain I'll only use it when driving, not when parked up. Not too fussed about recording sound either.

The cable that goes into the side of the RC, is it possible to use one with an angle (probably L shaped) so when fitted the cable goes straight up towards the headlining rather than out the side and having to bend the wire up towards the headlining? If that makes sense? Not sure if it's the video wire or power supply :S

Thanks again @niko.

Pretty certain I'll only use it when driving, not when parked up. Not too fussed about recording sound either.

The cable that goes into the side of the RC, is it possible to use one with an angle (probably L shaped) so when fitted the cable goes straight up towards the headlining rather than out the side and having to bend the wire up towards the headlining? If that makes sense? Not sure if it's the video wire or power supply :S

I do have special L-angled video cable adapter for RC camera. Search in my store ( L25LEFT )

25cm Left angle (8)-850x850_0.JPG

25cm Left angle (9)-850x850_0.JPG

Last edited:
Back