Shadow RX300

I just got reply directly from SeeZeus. Well, in short... there is actually a problem with original v2.2g firmware and Auto-Rotation Screen feature. They're saying, camera would start locking/freezing if function is enabled, so they completely removed it and released firmware v2.3g, rather than fixing the damn problem and releasing true new firmware with fixed problem.

Anyway, with this v2.3g, they fixed parking function. In old firmware v2.2g, screen would go black sometimes when recording. New firmware v2.3g fixed that, and there is no sudden black screen when recording anymore. I can confirm that, I've never experienced "black screen" with new v2.3g.

So, it looks like I am sticking with my new v2.3g, even though Auto-Rotation Screen feature is removed (hopefully temporarily until they find the fix).

Also, just in case, they sent me both firmwares, v2.2 and v2.3, so I have them here. If any of you guys is interested, I should post them somewhere so they are accessible for anyone.

This is the original email I received from super polite Janet Ke, Car-DVR Representative at SeeZeus Technology:
can you give me link for firmware RX300?

Before you proceed with upgrade/downgrade, even though I have never had any trouble upgrading/downgrading my camera, I wanted to let you know you're doing it at your own risk. Like with every other gadget and upgrading its firmware, there is always slight possibility for something to go wrong and you could possibly brick your device. I take no responsibility in any actions you perform on your device, and I can't be held responsible for any trouble you're going through.

It would be smart thing to ask whoever sold you your RX300, if they can provide you with firmware specific for your camera type/batch. That way at least you're safe you got it from them. If you brick your device, they would most likely deal with fixing it or replacing it with another unit.

Also, I never got links for firmware, so that tells me they don't even have them anywhere up on the server. They sent me two files in two separate emails. I had to provide them with serial number of my camera, so they're 100% sure these firmware .bin files are good for my camera. If I were you, I'd do same thing.

If that doesn't work and you feel adventurous and like to risk, I can upload these firmwares somewhere and provide you all with links. Let me know your route.

EDIT: I added both firmware files to my signature. Before you proceed with download and flushing your dash cam with one of these two, re-read that chunk of text above, marked in blue color.

Last edited:
Hello my Romanian fellows. Please let me who delivered faster you dashcam: estore009 (via ebay) or foxoffer? Have you paid taxes (VAT) for a 100 usd dashcam? I want to place an order for one of the following: shadow gt680, rx300 or the new A7 mini 0801.
Thank you all.

I received my dash cam to Toronto, Canada from FoxOffer in 7 days, and that was with delay because of Chinese New Year, but again... I paid for DHL Express.

Last edited:
robbsonn - ut it's funny, because I saw this in so many cases. Just look at the price difference in between these two cards. Exactly the same store, exactly the same brand and identical capacity, the only difference is Class number and their price... insignificantly different. Who'd in his right mind go out and buy Class 4 version then? :):D

Class 4:
http://www.staples.ca/en/Centon-Cla...SBD:58:21800&gclid=CM-KsfSXwLwCFeg-MgodOVkAWA

Class 10 version:
http://www.staples.ca/en/Centon-Cla...SBD:58:21800&gclid=CJPZ_ZGYwLwCFa47Mgod_mAAFQ

So many people (probably not on here) haven't a clue what class # means. That's why big box can get away making huge profit off people not paying attention.

So many people (probably not on here) haven't a clue what class # means. That's why big box can get away making huge profit off people not paying attention.
So true. But it's sad and I really feel bad when people just rush out to buy something without doing some basic research first. If they already paid for their internet connection, all those information available are totally free. They just have to ask, there is always someone ready to help with advice.

Anyone know where I can get an adhesive mount for the RX300?

I looking at getting one of these. What is the competition to the RX300 with the GPS.

Probably the GT680W. Both are made with virtually the same/similar components and are Shadow-Tec/SeeZeus products. This is why they have been compared in other threads along with the Panorama II thrown in as a comparison to a camera that goes for twice the price.

See: RX300 vs GT680W vs Panorama II ( v1.11.11 Beta test firmware )

See: RX300 vs GT680W Night Video side by side
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/rx300-vs-gt680w-night-video-side-by-side.3758/
Also see: Complete Review of GT680W Shadow-Tec / Seezeus

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the GT680W. Both are made with virtually the same/similar components and are Shadow-Tec/SeeZeus products. This is why they have been compared in other threads along with the Panorama II thrown in as a comparison to a camera that goes for twice the price.

I have seen those 2, I decided the RX300 would be in front of the GT680W as the RX300 was newer. The the Panorama II looks good but did not want to spend over $200 Australian for my first dashcam.

Looks like the RX300 is the one to go with.

Could anyone tell me if the RX300 has the same 10 locked files limit as the GT680W (the no. 11 locked file will replace the no 1 locked file)?

I received my RX300 one week ago from Foxoffer. I have problem about gps. Blinking blue and red leds on the gps module. Also blinking satellite icon on the screen. I wait 15 minutes around but no way. I tried this a few days. I open dispute from Paypal to get additional time and sent an email about problem to Foxoffer. They sent me a firmware url and ask to fw upgrade. Folder name is RX300_english_V2.3GE in the zip file. This means 2.3G or newer? My fw is already 2.3G Do you think this is really fw problem or gps module trouble?

Could anyone tell me if the RX300 has the same 10 locked files limit as the GT680W (the no. 11 locked file will replace the no 1 locked file)?

Yes, I just checked it and I have to tell you I had no clue even GT680W had that "feature". Well, I guess that was expected just because of the fact that we don't have limitless capacity SD cards, so data needs to be saved somewhere. I'd still rather have this over anything else... for example, files are hard locked and nothing can erase them. You end up with no space on your card, and you're in a middle of an accident. What happens? You cam does not record anything accident related just because your card was filled with locked files that camera wasn't able to erase in order to make space for new recordings. I do not want to end up with my card full of locked files, and without any evidence about the accident recorded. That's a big no for me.

These locked files are great. They are archived in a safe sub-folder called "RO", so loop recording can't overwrite them, and your camera still keeps recording everything that happens while you drive. Purpose of these locked files is not to sit on your SD card anyway. It is assumed, if they are locked for any reason (G-sensor activated by accident, or manually user activated by pressing that red panic button next to the LCD on the camera), that means they are kind of important. It is advisable to take them off your SD card to your computer once you get home, and archive them properly. Back up is one of the options, and that's exactly what I do with all my data. Once they become obsolete and I am 100% sure I won't need them any more, I will erase them even from my computer.

So to answer your question... Yes, both GT680W and RX300 will overwrite the oldest locked file with 11th one. Maximum number of locked files on your card is 10.

I received my RX300 one week ago from Foxoffer. I have problem about gps. Blinking blue and red leds on the gps module. Also blinking satellite icon on the screen. I wait 15 minutes around but no way. I tried this a few days. I open dispute from Paypal to get additional time and sent an email about problem to Foxoffer. They sent me a firmware url and ask to fw upgrade. Folder name is RX300_english_V2.3GE in the zip file. This means 2.3G or newer? My fw is already 2.3G Do you think this is really fw problem or gps module trouble?

Where are you when you're trying to achieve GPS signal? I hope you're not inside your house or apartment trying to do that. You have to be somewhere with clear sight of sky. GPS module needs to communicate with satellite somehow. Also, if you keep your GPS module in your car overnight and if it's really cold like it is couple of last weeks here in Toronto, your GPS module will take few minutes to lock-in. I personally never had situation (even when it was super cold) that my GPS module wouldn't kick in in a span of 30-45 seconds. Usually it's only 2-5 seconds when I plug it in.

If none of above applies to you (cold weather or being inside the house when testing), it could also very well mean you received either faulty GPS or faulty Dash Cam unit. Everything is possible, and even though quality control when it comes to SeeZeus is really good, there could always be a "lemon" in production. It's better to check directly with manufacturer.

Blinking blue led means GPS signal is acquired and working properly. You can take a look at the satellite icon on your LCD. When the icon is blinking, your blue LED on your GPS Module is steady. That means, it's still trying to acquire the signal. Once blue LED starts blinking on your GPS Module, you'll notice that satellite icon on your camera LCD is not blinking any more. That means it caught the GPS signal.

.... They sent me a firmware url and ask to fw upgrade. Folder name is RX300_english_V2.3GE in the zip file. This means 2.3G or newer? My fw is already 2.3G Do you think this is really fw problem or gps module trouble?

Firmware is not a culprit here. I have 2.3G and I have never had problems with GPS not being able to lock-in. It could be though they did not install it properly. Sometimes something unexpected happens if you lose power connection to your camera (although this is not the case with RX300, since we have higher capacity battery and I use my camera not being plugged for over 30 minutes), and your firmware updating process did not finish they way it should have done. In those cases, it's advisable to upgrade or at least update your existing firmware version and at least make sure firmware was installed properly.

If you got the download URL for 2.3GE, that could mean there is a newer firmware out there. Now, that's what I dislike with SeeZeus. They ARE NOT organized at all. Not a single information about Firmware updates/releases, changes, nothing. We have no clue where to go to download different versions of firmware, nothing... They need to get their act together and fix this, make these information accessible for all customers who diligently paid for their products. It's our right as customers to be able to decide which firmware file works best for us. There should be a page with all the firmware files released, plus all the information about what is updated with new firmware files, of course with download links. We need to know what is going on inside our camera menus, what's changed, what's erased, and what's added.

Now, all that being said... would you mind sharing that URL, so we all can download it since SeeZeus didn't think this should be public anyway? A download link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Is it possible to hide the GPS-coordinates but leave the speed marking? Or is it easier to use a video editing software to blur them? Is Foxoffer reliable vendor?

Is it possible to hide the GPS-coordinates but leave the speed marking? Or is it easier to use a video editing software to blur them? Is Foxoffer reliable vendor?

It's not possible to hide it using camera menus and options. The only way not to have them is not using GPS module, but then again, you won't have speed information either. You can use video editing software to clean/blur it out. I use After Effects or Premiere Pro. FoxOffer is one of the best, if not the best vendors. Super polite, super responsive in answering my emails, any issue I had, they answered in a matter of minutes. Even time difference did not stop them to help me whenever I needed their assistance.

Can you stop the gps from hard-coding into the video but still log the gps info in a separate file so if you want you can merge them later in RV? This can be done with the Mini 0801.

Blurring out your mph is fine for youtube, not so good for court.

Can you stop the gps from hard-coding into the video but still log the gps info in a separate file so if you want you can merge them later in RV? This can be done with the Mini 0801.

Blurring out your mph is fine for youtube, not so good for court.

I'm little lost here... "...It's good for YouTube..." - wasn't that the idea originally? Some people don't want other people to see their latitude and longitude information... Understandable. So bluring those parts should be fine. For court - completely different story, but the question is... Why would one ever want to hide those information from the court? I personally presented every single information I had available to my auto insurance, and that alone put the other party involved in accident 100% at fault. Because inormation captured with my dash cam was crucial in finding out what exactly he did to cause the accident (taxi driver).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back