Shadow RX300

@quorthonrhar
I put my car to parking area as immobile. Not moving. Gps module was on the dashboard. I mean can see sky. Sky was clear and weather was not so cold. 15 celcius around. I wait 15 minutes. Satellite icon should seen steady and not blinking, right?

Here is URL for 2.3GE https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/RX300_english_V2.3GE1212.7z

Hi,
First of all, thank you for the link, much appreciated. When I get chance, I'll check how different is it from 2.3G. Thanks again!

Well, looks like you had ideal conditions for GPS module to connect. I'd call it on faulty GPS module unit, although it could be camera's GPS slot too. Could be connections are not as good as they should be, something maybe got disconnected in transport, or even not properly soldered in manufacturing process, it could be anything.

There is no other way but try to eliminate possible culprits one at the time. You should try another GPS Module, because that's the first and least expensive thing to try. If they send you new GPS module and that doesn't work either, make sure you document that on video. Show the conditions you're testing GPS functionality under (weather, position of your car and GPS module inside of it, and camera LCD of course), and send it to SeeZeus or whoever you ordered your components from. They should be able to help you.

If nothing works even after they sent you new GPS module, then something could be wrong with camera unit itself. Even in that case, they should send you new dash cam unit.

Have you tried everything at some other location? Some location that's at least 1km away from the one where you did not have any success connecting your GPS signal? You never know... Even though conditions sounded like perfect at that spot where you initially tried, it could be something was blocking/interfering with GPS signal.

And yes, once GPS module acquired signal, satellite icon should stay steady on screen, no blinking.

Let us know how things are developing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I just checked, and this "new" 2.3GE is exactly the same as original 2.3G.

2.3G MD5: FD8871113F6FA81CEE63E8BD3D3EFBEF
2.3G SHA-1: C306EDA08323EC8F7968FCFF1E001E34ECC4E76E

---------------

2.3GE MD5: FD8871113F6FA81CEE63E8BD3D3EFBEF
2.3GE SHA-1: C306EDA08323EC8F7968FCFF1E001E34ECC4E76E

So, I can certainly say, this is exactly the same firmware. Not even the name indicates it's 2.3GE. When you see info inside the camera, it shows v2.3G without that "E". So, false alarm... there is no newer firmware for RX300 than 2.3G.

@quorthonrhar

You may not wish to show the court your speed at all times. Even I sometimes go over the speed limit (ever so slightly) and that could impact negatively on a court case. Even if the speeding (ever so slight) was done well before or after the accident. The ability to strip that information out if needed is a plus.

Of course you can figure out the speed using the video but why make it easy?

So, self incrimination, and some gps modules arent dead accurate as well.

If I was always doing the right thing and never ever speeding (ever so slightly) then I would think placing the camera further back in the vehicle so it can record the speedometer would be even better then the OSD of a dashcam in court. Getting the court to take the OSD information of a users dashcam into evidence may be difficult. Proving to the opposing side and possible jury that the information provided is factual and accurate may prove even more difficult. For "simple" "accidents" this point is moot. For high dollar cases involving serious injury or death it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I understand your point and where you're going with this, unfortunately there is no way of not displaying those information inside the recording. Once you attach your GPS module to RX300, those information are going to be burned into your videos. The only ones I know for sure you can opt out of displaying, are Date and your Licence plate numbers, which in these cases you mentioned above, is not very helpful.

I am 110% sure though, whoever is dealing with developing firmware for this camera, could easily incorporate this function into one of the menu options in upcoming firmware releases. For example - Stamp video with speedometer data: ON / OFF, or Stamp video with longitude/latitude info: ON / OFF. If they only want to listen their users and customers.

the RX300 have more function for parking monitoring as long as offer battery, it can monitor when have any actions and record not found by the people.

Thanks quorthonrhar & jokiin for more information. I had been looking into another dashcam with gps but without the functionality to not display speed and or gps but still have it recorded so I can put it in if needed I think ill skip this one.

Does the 680w (not sure of chipset) also have this "limitation"?

Is the mini 0801 and maybe the mark ii version the only affordable dashcams that have this functionality?

Sorry if I am steering the thread off the rails a bit...

Thanks jokiin! My search continues...

With all its pluses and minuses, Novatek chipset dash cams are the cameras of my choice. Its proven then have the smallest amount of problems (picture quality, color reproduction, rolling shutter problem etc.) of all these mid-range dash cams out there. I've tried couple of them, and have never been so happy with one product as I am with my RX300. So happy that I am ordering another one for the rear window in next couple of days. Rolling shutter (jello effect) is almost non-existing when it comes to this camera. Of course, every dash cam you have to secure firmly, camera mounted on your windshield should never ever vibrate, it should become a part of your windshield basically. RX300 has never failed on me, when I turn it on, I know my videos will be recorded and image quality will be amazing, no doubt about it. That's what I need my dash cam to do, and that's what RX300/GT680W delivers perfectly. All other "features" can be added in newer releases of firmware, there is no way developers can't "tell" cameras through firmware not to "burn" speedometer and longitude/latitude information into the recording. That's just plain nonsense. It would probably be more realistic to expect someone tell you "oh, it's too difficult, we don't know how to make information from your GPS module, baked into the video recording". If they managed to do that, than I am 110% sure they can tell camera not to write those information inside the video recording, but instead save it into external XML file that's going to be burned on your SD card along with video file. We'd end up with something like this:

1.) 2013_0128_101018_003.MOV
and
2.) 2013_0128_101018_003.XML

One is video file, and another one is the file with all the GPS information we need. Of course, inside the firmware, we should be able to chose if we want these information inside the separate file (like in this example XML file), or we want them baked into the video. I personally would keep them always baked in my videos, just like I have it now... but for other people who'd like to have those information separate, there definitely should be an option to do that.

Last edited:
I received my RX300 one week ago from Foxoffer. I have problem about gps. Blinking blue and red leds on the gps module. Also blinking satellite icon on the screen. I wait 15 minutes around but no way. I tried this a few days. I open dispute from Paypal to get additional time and sent an email about problem to Foxoffer. They sent me a firmware url and ask to fw upgrade. Folder name is RX300_english_V2.3GE in the zip file. This means 2.3G or newer? My fw is already 2.3G Do you think this is really fw problem or gps module trouble?

Hi cem_ari,

Is there any update on your camera and GPS module situation? I'm interested to learn what was your problem. I am suspecting on faulty GPS module, but you never know. Did the seller ever get back to you and helped you out with your problem?

That's the sole reason I like to go with big re-sellers such FoxOffer is. Fast and reliable service, anything wrong with your product, in no time they'll be on the top of the things trying to help you out. My friend received his RX300 package, everything worked perfectly, but the windshield mount he received, was broken inside the package. All the parts were detached from each other, obvious manufacturing mishap. He's contacted FoxOffer, and after 5 minutes, they replied his email with note they're sending him another mount for his camera, same day. After just 7 days, he received a package from Singapore, a small box. When he opened it, to his surprise, FoxOffer sent him two mounts instead of one. And it wasn't by mistake, it's them saying "We're sorry for the broken part you received, this is our little compensation...".

These little things might seem non-important to some, but for me, these small things are what makes one company doing their business well. FoxOffer is one really nice and reliable company.

Got a message from DHL, the RX300 I ordered from FoxOffer last week will be delivered tomorrow. Also, off topic, the Lukas 7700 I ordered from Greensum last week will be delivered as well! Will be a banner day for opening new dash cam boxes. Seem to both be very good sellers.

i live india where the temps reach 40 in summer to 30 in winter
i cannot find a capacitor based camera on aliexpress
budget is within 130usd with gps
looked at the g1w but it lacks gps
am torn between this rx300 and F900LHD
can someone suggest another cam
not able to order from foxoffer as i don't know if they ship via ems / speed post = seized in customs
i need shipping via fedex or dhl

Could someone be so kind and give us the exact length of the rx300 car charge cable? Thank you!

i live india where the temps reach 40 in summer to 30 in winter
i cannot find a capacitor based camera on aliexpress
budget is within 130usd with gps
looked at the g1w but it lacks gps
am torn between this rx300 and F900LHD
can someone suggest another cam
not able to order from foxoffer as i don't know if they ship via ems / speed post = seized in customs
i need shipping via fedex or dhl

Lukas LK-7700 has super-cap, GPS, rated to 70C. Greensum sells on ebay for $130 right now. Mine will be delivered today, along with an RX300. Will be a fun comparison. Based on my current Lukas (LK-7500) and 680W, I'm expecting the RX300 to have a noticeable edge in video quality, but we'll see.

I just received two RX300s from FoxOffer, with GPS modules and SanDisk Ultra 32 GB cards.

Neither one works with either GPS modules! Something is wrong here.

2.3G firmware already on the RX300s. Solid red light on the GPS only. Blinking blue light on the dashcam with blinking satellite icon. No lock after 10 minutes on either camera, using either GPS module.

I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

And to top it all off, the mount on one of them broke as soon as I attached it to the windshield - plastic arm bit inside the locking mechanism broke. I am afraid to use the 2nd mount.

Very disappointed. Two lemons? Really? Seriously? WTF.

I just received two RX300s from FoxOffer, with GPS modules and SanDisk Ultra 32 GB cards.

Neither one works with either GPS modules! Something is wrong here.

2.3G firmware already on the RX300s. Solid red light on the GPS only. Blinking blue light on the dashcam with blinking satellite icon. No lock after 10 minutes on either camera, using either GPS module.
Did you try to reconnect the plug after a few minutes of unsuccessful conection process? I bought Rx300 too and I have a problem with GPS too, but after reconnection of the plug the problem disappears for current session. Next time I run the camera it goes back. After long discussion FoxOffer doesn't find the solution of this problem and offers a refund.

@johnf : could you please measure the rx300 car charger cable snd tell me the exact length? Thanks

Back