Shadow RX300

robbsonn, I tried that, and also tried pushing in the plug more - which I can't because it is already all the way in. I tried more force but the camera body started creaking. Nothing!

The orange light is the only thing that stays lit on the GPS module. There is no blue light.

I am wondering if the camera itself is defective - perhaps the connector isn't soldered properly in the case?

This is pretty frustrating - shipping _from_ Canada to anywhere is astronomically expensive.

Right now, I would say the RX300 can check the "unreliable" tickbox in the dashcam comparison chart. To have two fail like this? Unbelievable. The "QC Passed" piece of paper in the box is mocking me!

Also, the two units I ordered were shipped separately, but arrived at the same time. There was no damage to the packaging and they were not opened when I got them. It was pretty surprising then the mount fell apart. The clicking Niko heard when he turned the dial to have the suction cup lock into place might have been the plastic snapping! Haha!

$250 wasted so far - well ok not totally a waste as the recording seems to work, and the Sandisk 32 GB cards haven't failed yet. No response from FoxOffer yet, although I guess it is probably just morning there right now.

Oh, I also tried flashing one of the cameras to 2.2, to replace the 2.3G. Nope, didn't work either.

hi anyone tell me how the gps track works only for segmental recordings or for a whole trip itself
can i see max speed ,avg speed etc?

robbsonn, I tried that, and also tried pushing in the plug more - which I can't because it is already all the way in. I tried more force but the camera body started creaking. Nothing!

I wonder how much you actually forced it in when camera started cracking. I hope not too much. It's obvious just from looking at the connector, how much it can go in. There is no way you can push it further than plastic limiter allows you. Gentle plug in works for me every single time. My GPS locks in a matter of couple of seconds on cold start. When I leave my van at the mall parking and return to the van 20-30 minutes later, GPS is locked instantly as soon as camera turns on and starts recording.

I am wondering if the camera itself is defective - perhaps the connector isn't soldered properly in the case?
That could be the case, but for sure not with both cameras. FoxOffer is very good at "fixing" trouble with the products they're selling. While I do understand it's a pain in the ass to send those units back, that still might be the only option. That being said, I do not believe both units are defective. Could it be that your geographic location might have something to do with GPS locking to signal difficulties?

Right now, I would say the RX300 can check the "unreliable" tickbox in the dashcam comparison chart. To have two fail like this? Unbelievable. The "QC Passed" piece of paper in the box is mocking me!

Again, while I do understand your frustration, I would not go that far. This dash cam is by far the most reliable dash cam I have ever owned... and I owned more than few.

...It was pretty surprising then the mount fell apart. The clicking Niko heard when he turned the dial to have the suction cup lock into place might have been the plastic snapping! Haha!
No, it's not. You are supposed to hear click sound when you turn that dial properly. Not too much force, but certain force is needed. I do agree, SeeZeus could have done better mount for this camera, but I do not even use mine. I made my own that works 10x better than the original one.

Oh, I also tried flashing one of the cameras to 2.2, to replace the 2.3G. Nope, didn't work either.

I did that without any problems, I even posted a video about it, showing the differences between two firmwares. I went back from 2.3G to 2.2 without any trouble, but since 2.3G fixed couple of small annoyances from 2.2G, I re-installed 2.3G back. I really never experienced a single problem with my RX300 since the first day.

@johnf : could you please measure the rx300 car charger cable snd tell me the exact length? Thanks
I don't have it here at the moment, it's in my van, I've hidden it in the interior through the inside walls of my van. I am assuring you it's pretty long. I have 2004 Dodge Caravan, and from lighter plug in the middle console, I had more than enough to run it along the dashboard, windshield and ceiling, to bring it down just above the rear view mirror.

Send this photo to FoxOffer ASAP, and they will send you two new ones as "sorry for the trouble" as soon as they see your photo. My friend did the same, and received two mounts in the box in less than a week.
The bad thing is this had to happen, but the good thing is, FoxOffer is pretty good when it comes to "fixing" these kind of problems.

quorthonrhar - hopefully I'll be getting instructions tomorrow on how to fix the two GPS modules. Looks like there was a bad batch. Hopefully it won't be too complicated and I'll get a good result. :)

I sent them a picture of the mount already. I think I may be able to mod them with JB Weld to make them stronger once I get a replacement!

quorthonrhar - hopefully I'll be getting instructions tomorrow on how to fix the two GPS modules. Looks like there was a bad batch. Hopefully it won't be too complicated and I'll get a good result. :)

I sent them a picture of the mount already. I think I may be able to mod them with JB Weld to make them stronger once I get a replacement!

That is good news. Make sure to post back about that "fix" here in the forum. It might help other users who experienced similar problems (robbsonn and one guy from Turkey I believe). Everybody will benefit from any helpful information we post here. Once you get them working or at least, when you receive new modules, you'll be so happy with these little cameras, I'm telling you. Out of all I have ever owned, RX300 is the only one that has never caused me any frustration. You plug it in, start your car, and that little dash cam simply does what it's supposed to do.

Keep us posted here, your updates and information are highly appreaciated.

Thanks!

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!
Oops, from Romania. Should have given you length in centimeters, eh? BTW, have been comparing the RX300 to the Lukas 7700 I got at the same time. The Lukas firmware is far better, more usable, and the camera build quality is better as well. The video quality, however, is not even close, the RX300 blows it away in every regard. Now, to find a Chinese (or Korean) cam with the firmware functionality and build quality of the Lukas, and the video PQ of the RX300…

Parking function works as it should on the Lukas, including auto switching between 'park' and 'drive' mode. The RX300 added parking function is funky at best, not sure it is usable with present firmware (2.3G), but perhaps better than nothing. Price of the 2 cams is close to the same (a bit more for the Lukas even w/GPS on the RX300) so you pick between video quality or overall cam quality I guess.

No, you shouldn't have. I know from school how to convert it to cm. :)

I knew it was a joke but the young schoolboy inside of me pushed me to reply like I did.

quorthonrhar, I didn't get a fix yet - I'll email them tomorrow to see how they're doing!

It is a pretty nice cam otherwise. I even like the mount, despite the one that broke. :) However, I am thinking of putting it directly on the mirror instead - much more discreet! On my car, it has those textured black dots on it and so I have to move it over to the side, away from the mirror - much less discreet! I really like some of the mirror mounts you guys did, and it looks like a simpler mod as well. I think I will make a foam or cardboard wedge to angle it right, and tie wrap or velcro wrap it onto the mirror!

Hi to All!
Today I received Rx300 with GPS module. The module will flash orange and blue LEDs, on the screen flashes icon GPS.
How should it be? Seems to me to have contact with Foxoffer.com support.
hopefully I'll be getting instructions tomorrow on how to fix the two GPS modules. Looks like there was a bad batch. Hopefully it won't be too complicated and I'll get a good result. :)
Which news you?

Just got the instructions - swap the red and white wires inside the GPS module, at the connector. It worked! Hurray.

I used a box cutter blade to pry open the GPS module. Then I pulled the red and white wires from the connector by hand, and swapped them.

It's not as good as my phone for getting a GPS lock in enclosed spaces, but not an issue when on the dash I would think.

This fix is likely different than one of the posters above - I never got a blue light before. His issue is likely a loose connection.

Just got the instructions - swap the red and white wires inside the GPS module, at the connector. It worked! Hurray.
What is order the wires in your GPS module? In my is (left to right) yellow, red, empty, white

From the picture I got, the correct order (depending on which way you look at the connector) is, from left to right in the picture: red, empty, white, green.

The INCORRECT order before the change was: white, empty, red, green.

I think my picture is from an opposite angle of yours, Minuel.

Also, before the fix, the blue LED on my GPS module never lit up. Only the orange light stayed lit (solid, no blinking).

Back