Shadow RX300

I've not tried the IR function on my RX300 (taped over them for less noticeable look) but would like to know what doesn't work as advertised? I must have missed something on the forums… Thanks.

Can't answer about the GT300W, but the RX300 I just received (2.3G firmware) has slightly less crisp picture quality than the 680W I got a month or so ago. Probably just an acceptable unit to unit variation, still very very good, just not as spectacularly crisp than the 680W I got.

Hi johnf,

Take a look here please:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/shadow-rx300.2764/page-8#post-48724

Basically, IR feature does not work at all. It works, but IR LEDs are so weak, it's unusable. I even got confirmation from a person at FoxOffer the IR function are just "for looks" like they mentioned. I was hoping to test it for other people who might find it useful, like for example taxi drivers, school bus drivers etc, but unfortunately no go.

EDIT: as far as RX300 recording crispness goes, it seems like it's how they focused each unit in manufacturing process. I tested my friend's GT680W and my RX300, side by side and we both agreed RX300 footage was cleaner and much sharper. It also depends on the daylight and weather conditions under which you were recording, and this is not only when it comes to dash cams, it's the ultimate rule with all cameras, even super expensive DSLRs - more light better, sharper, crisper images with less noise in darker parts (shadows). Both cameras use same processor and same lens, so there is no reason for one to have better recordings than the other. Those two are basically identical camera guts with different enclosures.

Cheers!

Is there any difference in using a UHS-1 and class 10 32gb sd card from transcend http://www.transcend-info.com/Press/DrT.asp?axn=Detail&PrsNo=115&NewsKeyWd=&Func1No=3&Func2No=211

Has anyone tried to fix a cpl filter on the rx300

Yes, there is a huge difference, but RX300 like many other cameras at this moment, won't profit from that at all. 3x faster reads don't mean anything when cameras is not able to write at that speed. SDHC Class 6 and above is what SeeZeus recommends using with these little dash cams.

This is a quote from Lexar:
Although SD UHS-I cards can be used with all existing SDXC and SDHC devices, if you want to optimize UHS performance, select a device with the UHS-I logo

RX300 has nothing to mount CPL or UV or any other kind of filter. You can make something yourself if you like DIY. It is possible, but unless you can find some cheapo filters (what's the point then, if they are cheap, they don't do anything). Good quality CPLs are fairly expensive, of course depending on the diameter of the glass. I paid $140 for my Tamron 17-50, Canon 7D mount. I am sure small CPL filters are way cheaper, but to go through all the hustle of creating new mount, possibly screwing up RX300 casing, not sure if it's worth it. We should always keep clean our windshield to reduce glare and of course for safety reasons.

Yes, there is a huge difference, but RX300 like many other cameras at this moment, won't profit from that at all. 3x faster reads don't mean anything when camera.
Thanks for the detailed reply
I mean it can't do harm right.
As I can always use the higher speed to read files off the sd card once recorded correct while copying from the sd card to the laptop.

Well I dunno, I like how my CPL filter works with dash cams; cost me something like $12 (I believe the manufacturer is called "Green Filters" or such) on eBay.

Yes some DIY is inevitable.

Thanks for the detailed reply
I mean it can't do harm right.
As I can always use the higher speed to read files off the sd card once recorded correct while copying from the sd card to the laptop.

No problem. Of course there is no harm. Just make sure you have UHS-1 reader ready. I believe you can't read UHS-1 media with standard SDHC readers. This is again a quote from Lexar page:
Note that SDXC UHS-I cards are not compatible with SD or SDHC host devices, only with SDXC host devices.

Link to the page itself:
http://www.lexar.com/support/sd-uhs-i-faqs

Well I dunno, I like how my CPL filter works with dash cams; cost me something like $12 (I believe the manufacturer is called "Green Filters" or such) on eBay.

Yes some DIY is inevitable.

Sure they do. One just have to be sure they're buying filters from respectable source. This is what I said in one of my previous posts:
...I am sure small CPL filters are way cheaper...

So, those $12 you paid is really good/affordable price. If they do any good to your recording, means they are not bad quality. If you want, you could record two short clips, maybe 5-10 seconds would be enough... one without CPL filter mounted, and another with it. It would for sure help other people who are looking into buying UV/CPL filters for their cameras. Unless you have it permanently fixed on your dash cam and there is no way of taking it off.

Even though some DIY would be involved, it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something that would hold your filter nice and firm on RX300.

I notice only now uhs class 10 card from transcend is what billknow from foxoffer suggested with the cam, so I guess it's ok

quorthonrhar, right now I don't use a CPL filter because it's early spring and all cloudy and dim outside. Here's a little clip shot in summer, hopefully it helps others to see what a CPL filter does.

quorthonrhar, right now I don't use a CPL filter because it's early spring and all cloudy and dim outside. Here's a little clip shot in summer, hopefully it helps others to see what a CPL filter does

Yes, that's a great example, so everyone interested can see what difference it makes (removing glare/reflections in the windshield).

Approximately how many hours of video would a 32gb store with the gps data.
15 Mbps bitrate is 4hrs?

Also does the rx300 have an event button

Last edited:
Event button isn't present or
Look at any photo of the back of this camera and there you will see a big red button with an exclamation point on the right side of the screen - this is exactly the event button:)

saha3uga.jpg

Getting impatient, it's just sitting in HK since Saturday.

I rechecked your previous posts, thanks you fixed it by yourself, even for us we can not solve the problem, because it is hard for us to find the circuit problem, also no other buyers reported same problem before.
We have sold hundreds GPS module, only less than 5 customers reported the GPS problem, so it is not necessary to check each GPS module, it take too much time for testing.
But now we test every piece to ensure it works.

I guess I got the batch that you did not check. My GPS module and/or dashcam is defective as I cannot lock onto the coordinates. My mount also broke and disassembled itself causing lots of problem during installation. I sent an email to your support team, but they didn't respond. Overall, not impressed with the build quality of the dashcam mount or with your sales support...

I guess I got the batch that you did not check. My GPS module and/or dashcam is defective as I cannot lock onto the coordinates. My mount also broke and disassembled itself causing lots of problem during installation. I sent an email to your support team, but they didn't respond. Overall, not impressed with the build quality of the dashcam mount or with your sales support...

And now, this is definitely not acceptable. It's not just isolated case, it is 100% obvious now. Something is very wrong with their quality control and it appears with manufacturing process. I was one of the lucky ones to receive everything in order, and yet there are still things I don't like and would like to see changed. For example, they keep promising us nice and clean page with firmware update downloads and information about changes. Still, couple of months later... nothing. We don't even have ANY page, let alone "nice and clean" page where we could go and inform ourselves about what's new and where to download firmware updates. This is not acceptable! And now this?! So many people reporting bad mounts, and bad GPS Modules?! What is going on here? If one paid full price for this camera and GPS module, they should not under any circumstances, be put in position to have to fix anything themselves. That way, they're breaking warranty (which most likely doesn't even exist), and risking breaking the unit completely.

FoxOffer should go out and reach these people, each and one individually. Send them new units, because it's obvious now we're not talking about some "lemon" in the manufacturing process. It affects a lot more units than they want us to believe. People work hard for their money, and all they expect is to get decent product for the money they paid.

There must be something we can do to change this, because it obviously this can't go on like this.

I am sorry for my frustration and this mini-rant, especially because I received everything in perfect order... I could have backed up in my chair and shut the hell up, like I don't care. But, I do care. I could end up ordering another camera for my rear window like I planned, and there is a huge possibility I will end up unhappy like many of these people. And there definitely will be even more reports like this. That is unacceptable.

I placed an order on a RX300-GPS-32GB from FoxOffer last monday. I really hope it is a tested & working Rx300 kit. I trusted the "Billknow" wrote about "now we test every piece to ensure it works".

I placed an order on a RX300-GPS-32GB from FoxOffer last monday. I really hope it is a tested & working Rx300 kit. I trusted the "Billknow" wrote about "now we test every piece to ensure it works".
One thing I can assure you... you don't have to worry or doubt the quality of the camera itself. This little camera is definitely one of the best in its price range class, if not the best. Packed with features, works perfectly, and it's built like a tank. Nothing is creaking on the casing, LCD is nice and bright, buttons firm as they can be, and camera does perfectly what it's made for. When I start my van, I am 100% sure camera will work as expected, and I am sure when I get home my videos will be sharp and clean. I've seen some other models, sometimes even quite more expensive models with some weird color shifting problems in recordings. For example this small one when camera is directly facing sunlight, some weird purple colors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nf6ZoPgGAyk#t=419 .

You won't have those problems with this camera. However, it seems like SeeZeus is having trouble with manufacturing and quality control of GPS Module. Just like they had huge problem with GPS module for GT680W dash cam. They seriously need to do something about it, otherwise people will start looking other way and start buying different products.

Again, RX300 is camera that I'd buy in a heartbeat, that's how reliable is. And I was lucky that I've got great working GPS module, so I have no complaints... but it saddens me when I see how many other people is reporting these problems and having to go through all that hustle.

Back