Shadow RX300

Approximately how many hours of video would a 32gb store with the gps data.
15 Mbps bitrate is 4hrs?

Also does the rx300 have an event button
Well, I think it's called Panic Button, since you can manually tell camera to secure your currently being recorded video. In case accident happens, you can simply press that button and make sure camera will lock that video file, so it can not be erased with another footage.

You can see that button on this photo I posted earlier in this thread:
0f84ETG.jpg

Also, make sure you understand that it's just like in GT680W case... you can have only 10 locked files on the card. Once you are going to record 11th one and lock it, camera will erase the oldest locked file to keep 10 locked files as total. That's normal, and it's how it should be, there is nothing weird about it. SD cards are not limitless in storage capacity, so there must be some limit set. It is also assumed that you should not keep these files in your camera forever. Once you get home, if those locked files are of any importance to you, you should take them off the SD card and back them up on your computer hard drive or wherever you prefer. That way you will free some space on your SD card, and what's even more important, make sure your locked files are safe.

I placed an order on a RX300-GPS-32GB from FoxOffer last monday. I really hope it is a tested & working Rx300 kit. I trusted the "Billknow" wrote about "now we test every piece to ensure it works".
Well, I'm not sure about that. When they sent me my Rx300 (on February), in e-mail with tracking number they wrote ' Everything is tested before shipping, well packed'. In fact I received a broken mount and a faulty GPS. However I must say that their customer support is quite good (sometimes I must wait a few days for reply) because they sent me a new mount and they gave me money back for a faulty GPS because they couldn't find a solution for my unusual problem with GPS.
Hopefully I'll get my new mount and it will be free of defects. I've been waiting for it impatiently for 22 days now.

I actually ordered a spare mount because of your post...
Unfortunately, I am afraid I have to say, that's not going to help you much. Well, it's good to have spare one at all times, of course. But unless they totally rethink this mount for RX300, these problems won't stop surfacing.

That turn-knob is weak, and the parts inside are little spring, and small metal rod which every single time you turn that knob, is rubbing the plastic base. Metal is more durable than plastic, so I am wondering how long it will be before everything falls apart anyway.

The mount that comes with GT680W looks 10x more durable. Even though nothing's currently wrong with my RX300 mount, seeing all these people reporting problems with it, I simply took one mount that looks exactly like GT680W mount, and turned it into mount for RX300. Super strong, super sturdy, will not fall apart.

Unless SeeZeus rethink this whole RX300 mount design, and turn it into something like GT680W has, people will keep reporting issues with it.

QYL2N9Q.jpg

Hmm I seem to be having issues with the compass display not working in my RX300 - it always points north. This is kind of a minor issue, as long as the GPS coordinates are correct. I will have to double check this later today though - maybe I have the GPS module mounted wrong - I have it stuck to the front side pillar of my car, and not flat on the dash. Hmm maybe that is why? I was hoping it'd be like my smart phone, which has a compass in it, but takes into account phone orientation and GPS coordinates to "guess" the compass direction...

Also, I totally agree about the RX300 mount - it's a bad design! If the replacement breaks I'll try using JB Weld on the inside plastic arm to strengthen it.

It appears to me that this is a one-use-only mount - once you attach it to the windshield, don't try taking it off again - I give 30% odds it will snap the plastic inside as you try to pull the suction cup out.

Hmm I seem to be having issues with the compass display not working in my RX300 - it always points north...
I can assure you nothing is wrong with either GPS module or your RX300. It's their firmware, they are so sloppy when updating it and releasing the new one. I've had that happening occasionally (not very often, but I've noticed it happens sometimes) only with 2.3G. When I downgraded to 2.2G, it never ever happened again. So, I strongly believe it's their new firmware v2.3G. Something is not done properly.

Thanks quorthonrhar - I grabbed my RX300 and looked at the videos through the Driving Recorder Player for Windows - it appears everything is recorded correctly including compass direction!

My other RX300 has 2.2G on it - but I'm not using it right now heh - I should try that one!

Can I use a 3M double sided tape to stick the front face of the Gps module on to the windshield, what does a 5ghz high performance module mean , how is it different from a normal gps module.

Thanks quorthonrhar - I grabbed my RX300 and looked at the videos through the Driving Recorder Player for Windows - it appears everything is recorded correctly including compass direction!

My other RX300 has 2.2G on it - but I'm not using it right now heh - I should try that one!
Yes, that's how I too found out everything is actually working correctly. It's just compass graphics animation on the screen that's acting little weird at times.

abishek, each RX300 from foxoffer came with two pieces of 3M double-sided thick tape - it looks like a black piece of 1 millimeter-thick foam.

The label on the GPS module actually says 5 hz, not ghz. :) It means it should be reporting coordinates 5 times a second to the camera.

And now, this is definitely not acceptable. It's not just isolated case, it is 100% obvious now. Something is very wrong with their quality control and it appears with manufacturing process. I was one of the lucky ones to receive everything in order, and yet there are still things I don't like and would like to see changed. For example, they keep promising us nice and clean page with firmware update downloads and information about changes. Still, couple of months later... nothing. We don't even have ANY page, let alone "nice and clean" page where we could go and inform ourselves about what's new and where to download firmware updates. This is not acceptable! And now this?! So many people reporting bad mounts, and bad GPS Modules?! What is going on here? If one paid full price for this camera and GPS module, they should not under any circumstances, be put in position to have to fix anything themselves. That way, they're breaking warranty (which most likely doesn't even exist), and risking breaking the unit completely.

FoxOffer should go out and reach these people, each and one individually. Send them new units, because it's obvious now we're not talking about some "lemon" in the manufacturing process. It affects a lot more units than they want us to believe. People work hard for their money, and all they expect is to get decent product for the money they paid.

There must be something we can do to change this, because it obviously this can't go on like this.

I am sorry for my frustration and this mini-rant, especially because I received everything in perfect order... I could have backed up in my chair and shut the hell up, like I don't care. But, I do care. I could end up ordering another camera for my rear window like I planned, and there is a huge possibility I will end up unhappy like many of these people. And there definitely will be even more reports like this. That is unacceptable.

Thank you for the detailed and heartfelt post. I could not agree more.
Well, I'm not sure about that. When they sent me my Rx300 (on February), in e-mail with tracking number they wrote ' Everything is tested before shipping, well packed'. In fact I received a broken mount and a faulty GPS. However I must say that their customer support is quite good (sometimes I must wait a few days for reply) because they sent me a new mount and they gave me money back for a faulty GPS because they couldn't find a solution for my unusual problem with GPS.
Hopefully I'll get my new mount and it will be free of defects. I've been waiting for it impatiently for 22 days now.

That's great that they sent you a replacement mount and refunded your GPS module money but in my case, they want to blame me for every issue. They said they could send me a mount, but I'd have to pay shipping. As for the GPS, they said "I can't test the GPS at home" when it is clear that no one would be dumb enough to test it at home. I went driving for hours and the GPS never worked and yet they still try to deny a defect and blame the issue on the user...

To top it off, they even told me to close my PayPal dispute because it affects their reputation! If you would help me out by either refunding me the cost of the camera with return shipping, or even offer to refund the GPS module it would make me feel a bit better. This last request really set me off as it was clear that customer service is really non-existent in this transaction.

I for one will not be closing my PayPal dispute until there has been an amicable resolution which is fair for the end user. Also, I cannot recommend purchasing from Foxoffer nor will I ever purchase anything from them again. This minor ordeal has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Can I use a 3M double sided tape to stick the front face of the Gps module on to the windshield, what does a 5ghz high performance module mean , how is it different from a normal gps module.

You should be able to use any, not just 3M double sided tape, but the question is, how long it will last under direct sunlight. Maybe forever, I am not sure, can't say since I haven't tried it, but it should work.

5 Hz ones should have better reception, but you should get this answer from someone who understands GPS modules a bit better.

...I for one will not be closing my PayPal dispute until there has been an amicable resolution which is fair for the end user.
And you should not. Leave it open till this whole thing is resolved completely and only in your own favor. If FoxOffer won't help you, PayPal will. You worked hard for your money (regardless of how small this amount you paid for dash cam might seem), and you diligently paid on time. All you're asking is to get the product you already paid for. Period.

...Also, I cannot recommend purchasing from Foxoffer nor will I ever purchase anything from them again. This minor ordeal has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Well, I did not have these problems with them, they were really super responsive (and when I say "super", I mean it... sometimes I had to wait 5-10 minutes only to get someone on the top of the things, trying to do anything to help me), but I do understand your frustration. It's not always one side of the story only... maybe you were not that lucky as I was, to get some nice and polite member of their customer service assisting me. I do understand you're having bad taste after all this, and I am no one to defend them. I just mentioned my experience, and I wish they would treat every other customer the same way. We paid for these products, we deserve if nothing else, then politeness. It does NOT cost anything at all, and it could make a lot of people happy in the same time.

And you should not. Leave it open till this whole thing is resolved completely and only in your own favor. If FoxOffer won't help you, PayPal will. You worked hard for your money (regardless of how small this amount you paid for dash cam might seem), and you diligently paid on time. All you're asking is to get the product you already paid for. Period.

Well, I did not have these problems with them, they were really super responsive (and when I say "super", I mean it... sometimes I had to wait 5-10 minutes only to get someone on the top of the things, trying to do anything to help me), but I do understand your frustration. It's not always one side of the story only... maybe you were not that lucky as I was, to get some nice and polite member of their customer service assisting me. I do understand you're having bad taste after all this, and I am no one to defend them. I just mentioned my experience, and I wish they would treat every other customer the same way. We paid for these products, we deserve if nothing else, then politeness. It does NOT cost anything at all, and it could make a lot of people happy in the same time.

I really wish this were the case. For my inquiry about an adhesive mount, they completely ignored me and never responded.

This is my response to their email:

ultran00b said:
1. I paid for a fully functioning dashcam with the GPS module.
2. The dashcam mount is defective and broke on the first try while trying to install the dashcam into my car.
3. The GPS module and/or dashcam are defective as I cannot acquire a GPS lock. I tried mounting the receiver outside for 15 minutes on a sunny day while parked trying to get a lock, but it could not achieve a GPS lock.
4. You have not offered to refund me the GPS module, but instead, have blamed me for not using it correctly. I feel offended that you would believe that I had only tested the GPS receiver at my home.
5. I will not close the PayPal dispute unless there is a fair resolution. On the contrary, if we aren't able to come to terms, I will escalate it to a claim.

Please try to understand my situation. Is it possible to issue me a full refund along with shipping costs back to your warehouse? I can send the complete package back to your warehouse with tracked shipping.

As your customer, it is your job to rectify defects, malfunctions and mistakes. You shouldn't be holding the customer liable for manufacturing defects and/or incompetency. Most importantly, you shouldn't be asking a customer to pay for factory mistakes.
I paid for the product, and I'm not about to pay more money just to get a functioning product.

We should get someone directly from FoxOffer here in this thread and help this case and all future cases. There must be an easy solution to this. My co-worker complained about broken mount and they sent him new one. It was regular shipping, so he had to wait couple of weeks for package to arrive. But, when it finally arrived, to his surprise they sent two mounts for free inside the box and he never had to pay shipping or any other fees. I still believe FoxOffer is not bad retailer at all, but in this particular case it looks like you ended up dealing with someone who apparently is not willing to help. As I said, we need someone first hand from FoxOffer here in this thread and try to push this until it's resolved.

My advice to you - do not send that camera back. It works fine, it's a great products all around. Your problems are mount and GPS module. They have to send you new mount, and at least try to solve your GPS problem (have you tried doing what others did in this thread? Some people successfully solved their GPS module trouble). If it's not possible to fix it, they should send you brand new (tested) one, one not from the bad batch (they messed up the order of two wires inside the GPS module). For God's sake, GPS Module is $15 dollars, it should not cost them anything to send another one to you.

EDIT: I was talking about this fix (if symptoms are same like yours): http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/shadow-rx300.2764/page-12#post-54637

I can't find the image one of the guys posted (correct and false wires order), but I saved it here on my local HD and uploaded it to IMGURL. Here:
O2fZpgY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of all the problems with the RX300. I sold my 680W which I really liked, and bought the RX300 which I like somewhat less - OK, a lot less - than the 680W. That said, the RX300 has worked well, although it has locked up a few times, and I've never gotten to the bottom of what causes it. I'd love to see new firmware to correct the bugs (the compass is wanky on the GPS screensaver besides the random lockups), but am certainly not holding my breath. One thing I haven't tried is reverting to an older firmware, like 2.2G. That seems to work for others, no?

The same day I received the RX300 I got the new Lukas 7700, $130. Built in GPS (not separate module), great mount, and lots of features - all of which work as they should. Video quality is a small step down from the RX300, but I'm using the 7700 while the RX300 sits on the work bench while I figure out a more reliable mount. I'll probably wind up selling it and buying a 680W.

Sorry to hear of all the problems with the RX300. I sold my 680W which I really liked, and bought the RX300 which I like somewhat less - OK, a lot less - than the 680W. That said, the RX300 has worked well, although it has locked up a few times, and I've never gotten to the bottom of what causes it. I'd love to see new firmware to correct the bugs (the compass is wanky on the GPS screensaver besides the random lockups), but am certainly not holding my breath. One thing I haven't tried is reverting to an older firmware, like 2.2G. That seems to work for others, no?

The same day I received the RX300 I got the new Lukas 7700, $130. Built in GPS (not separate module), great mount, and lots of features - all of which work as they should. Video quality is a small step down from the RX300, but I'm using the 7700 while the RX300 sits on the work bench while I figure out a more reliable mount. I'll probably wind up selling it and buying a 680W.
I've never heard anyone else having problems with RX300 locking up. It must be corrupt firmware installation. Have you tried flushing 2.3G again? Make sure your camera's battery is fully charged (just to play on a safe side). I had firmware v2.2G installed, downgraded from v2.3G just to test it. Both firmwares worked perfectly fine for me, and since the day one I purchased this camera, it never ever gave me a single problem, except compass screensaver sometimes sits on North (but correct compass information is still being saved properly, we tested it in Driving Recorder). I am not even using screensaver anymore, so that thing is less than minor problem for me.

GT680W is a great little camera too, but the fact that doesn't have battery powerful enough to keep your dash cam on and recording when unplugged from lighter plug in your car, threw me away from it. Say one example... God forbid you're in a bad accident where your car battery completely got disconnected, or any other reason for losing power in your car. You dash cam stops recording instantly... but even bigger problem is, if it stops recording so abruptly, it could easily result in corrupt video file without any possibility for recovery. Not very good in case your evidence simply disappears. RX300 keeps recording and that's what I love the most when it comes to RX300.

Hoping that billknow / foxoffer responds to these issues. I will keep an eye on this thread.

I never even got a reply till date from bill know for a pm i sent on 11th, however to be fair he has replied to an unrelated query on this thread. I must have sent at least ten or more messages when I wanted to purchase from them email, Facebook , Skype and what not all I got was a cryptic reply after a 4-5 days. On the whole I hope your problems are resolved amicably.
susujude.jpg

Back