Site Not Available

Withdrawal symptoms here too. Page loading is still a little buggy but glad you're back and thanks for the hard work.

Ads other than pop-ups don't bother me- websites cost money and if someone else pays for that I'm fine. I've learned to ignore the ads anyway; kind of a mental survival tactic for me. Do whatever it takes to keep this site going strong even if it means more ads- this site is like an intelligent oasis in the mindless desert of the usual internet drivel and ads alone cannot change that.

Phil

The database ended up crashing last night. The host recreated the database using an older backup from Wednesday night. I still have the original database so there might be a way to recover the posts between Wed and Sat. I will need to investigate. Sorry for the issues.

Another forum I've participated in for a long time experienced repeated issues with log-ins, a serious hacking incident and several major database crashes, one of which took the site down for almost two weeks and permanently lost many weeks worth of content (due to corrupted back-ups). The site owners switched to a different host and there have been no further problems with the fringe benefit of much snappier overall website performance.

anyone else getting finding this site as slow as a snail since it crashed?? for me its getting quite frustrating, it takes around 15-20 seconds all the time every time to go to a new page where before it was always around 3-5 seconds.

These things usually take awhile to normalize. Hopefully, this is the end of it. As I mentioned in my previous post I went through this sort thing a number of years ago at another forum. Each time the database crashed it was corrupted to some degree and the corrupted database kept getting backed up, compounding the problem. Finally, it went down for good and much data was lost. Part of the problem seemed to be that the host mishandled the problem and made it worse. The new host was more competent.
Lengthy log-in and page access times were symptomatic of the problems that were going on and were a bad omen of things to come. Hopefully, that's not the case here.

Slow is better than totally offline, I'm sure things will normalize again at some point. When huge databases go wrong, it can take a bit of time for sure.

I was able to re-post most everything from the last 3 days. Luckily most notifications are sent to my email as well as tapatalk so that made it easy to sort through my history.

The database ended up crashing last night. (...) I still have the original database so there might be a way to recover the posts between Wed and Sat.
I'm back to 666 messages, so don't you even think about it!!!

Just kidding! :D (it's the after-effects of being deprived of DCT for so long.)

(...) so the upside is I'm getting plenty of rest this weekend.
I, on the other hand, took the opportunity to cut clips for 5 more videos. :rolleyes:

One of my favoritee large sites has had a whole list of ills in the last couple years; server crashes, database crashes, hacking, and more. If XenForo offers it, daily backups can take a lot of the work out of crash restoration, and if you can import them to a home server you still have it all should their stuff fail.

Doing a site rebuild after a crash can be a huge amount of work and if there is a software bug it simply crashes again so then you've got to find the bug and rebuild the site again. It can take days to get it all right so please be patient folks.

I'm over halfway to the magic number, aren't I? :rolleyes:
Phil

One of my favoritee large sites has had a whole list of ills in the last couple years; server crashes, database crashes, hacking, and more. If XenForo offers it, daily backups can take a lot of the work out of crash restoration, and if you can import them to a home server you still have it all should their stuff fail.

Doing a site rebuild after a crash can be a huge amount of work and if there is a software bug it simply crashes again so then you've got to find the bug and rebuild the site again. It can take days to get it all right so please be patient folks.

I'm over halfway to the magic number, aren't I? :rolleyes:
Phil

The daily back-ups on the site I was referring to are what accidentally lead to the corrupted database getting backed up. I assume there must be a mechanism to automatically archive staggered back-ups as well as a daily so there is always a clean older copy if needed.

Where I referred to, the host now maintains 3 days of previous backups which are supposed to be monitored for bugs or problems, and the site owner's home server has more, so there will be a bug-free recent backup available somewhere. Their host charges for this 'option'; I don't know what XenForo does. Like a dash-cam card, these things need to be checked regularly if you're going to rely on them.

Phil

Things run pretty slow here too, its like beeing on a 1 mbit connection, when in fact i am on 80 of those connections.

Well that's just typical, 2 minutes after i post here site is back to normal :rolleyes:

I don't know that Tapatalk was part of the problem, even when turned off the site was still playing up

My hosting provider was able to reoptimize the server and it seems to be working better now. I just reenabled Tapatalk, hopefully it isn't problematic.

Back