Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Thanks for the info JazJon. The beep is not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, just a minor annoyance.

Just went to install it in my car and discovered the power cable is not quite long enough. I was gonna install it as described in the "video guide to hiding your camera's wiring" in the carcamcentral website, so I ran it around the top tucking it in underneath the headliner, down the a-pillar, under the glove box, then tried to run alone side the seat and into the center console to a power port located inside the center console, where it would have been nice and hidden. It didn't reach. So I had to plug it into a different power port next to the glove box, which is exposed so it doesn't look as tidy. Tomorrow I will try to find the power cable from my old dash camera and see if it's longer.

The camera looks very discrete tucked away behind the rear view mirror. From outside, it's unlikely anyone would notice it. There are some white letters on the camera, but they face up, so not visible from outside. I love this form factor, and the video quality is good too. I just hope it will last and not crap out in a few months like so many electronics I've bought from China.

It looks like Demi has finally joined DashCamTalk! (not sure what her screen name is yet) See below

EDIT it's "Demi M"
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/demi-m.3801/

From eBay - E-PRANCE

Dear Jon,

Great, the item arrived you on good condition.

you mean the 0801 with built in memory, right?

Your DVR can't update to the 0801 with built-in memory. your item is 801G, the built in memory item is 802G

i see you on dash cam talk, i just registered the dash cam talk account

Demi

From Me

Dear Demi,

The new 0801 is working well so far yes thanks! I'm letting it fill up and will make sure it also work when full. (in recycle/looped mode)

I'm happy to see you finally joined the DashCamTalk Forum! Feel free to chime in once in awhile. We can keep in touch ;-)

There is a lot of confusion of "e-prance" vs "eprance". People are saying you are much more responsive than "eprance"

The firmware I'm requesting is for my other Givoe/Aliexpress Mini 0801 with internal Memory. Givoe said their person that talks to the factory is ill/sick right now.

I was hoping maybe you have access to the proper new 1026 firmware I can try on my 2nd 0801. (with internal 8gb)

Thanks again as always,
~Jon

From eBay - E-PRANCE

my name on Dash cam is Demi M

i sent you a profile post, but i don't know if you can receive it, i don't know how to play on the forum.

it needs some time for me to study.

Demi

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good news I guess :)

Well, mine seems to be working well; I've had it a couple of weeks now. It's an 8GB+GPS eprance version with 20131026 firmware - mounted in front of my RVW mirror with hidden wiring. I have it set to 3 minute segments with audio on, writing to a 16GB Class 4 PNY card.

I've put a tiny square of insulating tape over the LED as the interior trim above it is pale beige plastic and the blue flashing reflection was annoying. I've also taped over the "1080p Full HD" script. If I were doing this again, I'd get a black adhesive square for the mount, as the grey one is quite visible - although with the pale interior of the car behind it, I ought to paint the camera and mount pale grey, which would also help with heat rejection for the summer...

I use RegistratorViewer rather than the supplied software: works very well. I've found the camera and computer both need to be turned on before connecting them together, or the camera doesn't recognize the USB connection.

I did have an issue with some files in the sequence missing, as if they'd been written to and then discarded. I've switched to 720p as this is adequate for my needs and gives smaller file sizes, quicker transfers etc, and all seems to be well at the moment.

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

Troon:
Good to hear it's working well for you, I have mentioned to E-Prance about the issue of the adhesive pad colour, I changed all my camera mounts to black pads, as they obviously don't show so much. Rather silly using a grey pad.

I use one camera purely as a cheap home security camera watching my car and the front driveway, and one of the issues I came across of course was the limit of just 5 or 6 hrs on a 32gb card, I've since put it into motion detect mode which resolves that problem, but it does have severe tunnel vision in motion detect mode, by that I mean only movement in the centre area triggers it, and I've been intending to try it in 720p and leave it recording everything as it did previously, just to see how much the recording time is increased. BTW this one camera has been running almost non stop for over 2 months, but it has been susceptible to poor usb connections, fixed by squeezing it in a little to make a firmer fit, have had to do it a couple times, otherwise its been pretty good.
The other 2 mini 0801 cams are in my car and have been totally trouble free for about 7 weeks now, and still going strong, all my little issues have been on that 1st camera I bought, it appears more recently supplied cameras have got much better. :)

Last edited:
Where are you all getting the black pads from are they as good as the original..
Buzzy

Where are you all getting the black pads from are they as good as the original..
Buzzy

I do have a sizeable roll of black 1" double sided tape already but not such good stuff as the original pad, though it may have been good enough, I played safe and ordered the adhesive pads they use for mounting rear mirrors to the screen. A lot better, they have them quite cheap on eBay.
These are the ones I used but only 2 pads in the pack.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380750324797
This seller does 8 pads for same sort of price, but not tried them, and not 100% sure they are black.. Should be, but he mentions that green goes to screen so not sure if that refers to film that you peel off or whether the pad is green...lol. On the 1st link they are definitely black as I've used those, and the film you peel off on those is actually green but pad is black.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261297912702

Last edited:
Has anyone had issues locking files? I turn the camera on, it starts recording, I press and hold the DOWN button but nothing happens. If I press the OK button then hold DOWN to go into the Movies section it shows a clip but not locked.

Any idea why it wont lock files?

BTW anyone looking for very small adhesive cable clips just to hold the cable secure and neat at the top of the windscreen then these really are ideal.
Tiny, hardly noticeable, and of course the pad is black in colour. Sadly not the cheapest, but for our use definitely the most discreet clips on there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111222864569

Has anyone had issues locking files? I turn the camera on, it starts recording, I press and hold the DOWN button but nothing happens. If I press the OK button then hold DOWN to go into the Movies section it shows a clip but not locked.

Any video clips I want to keep I just tap the down button once, You should be able to just tap the down button, the lock icon appears on the screen, and on mine the current 1 min clip and the previous one will be locked. The lock icon remains on the screen for about 2 mins then goes off.

You're only supposed to press the down button. Don't hold it down. If you're recording and the LCD screen is still on, you should only have to press the down button 1 time to lock the file. If the screen is off, you'll have to press it once to "wake" the camera, then press it again to lock the file.

My new eBay E-PRANCE 0801 GPS (no internal) keeps shutting down :-(
This is using the newly supplied Samsung 32gb class 6 card too.

I'm going back to the Givoe (with internal) it was stable on both Sep and Oct firmware.

I'm using the same GPS base on both.

I'm not sure what to do with the new E-PRANCE 0801 since it's just as unreliable as the old one was. Bummer.

Well I dont know anymore what you guys are running with - i got mine a couple of weeks ago (two of them) at www.carcamerachoices.co.uk and they are essense. totally faultless. they call it a Black Bullet - it comes on the screen. I got the full business aswell and just went back there and the version is upto 20131114. Mine is lower - but I am really pleased with my cameras (took 1 day to arrive alsio) I paid a bit more but dont care.

Hi JazJon - I was close to giving up having done reading in here and going back to looking at expensive cams. SOOOOOO glad I didnt. black bullet hits the spot i guess!!!! its a slick device and im totally happy with them - my mistake i ordered two with gps and needed one with it plus one without - didnt think - no biggie - the back of my car is in a different place than the front!!!!!!

I just sent this message.

Dear e-prance,

Hi Demi,

After using the new Mini 0801 you just shipped me with provided Samsung 32GB Class 6 card for awhile, it has failed again. Just like the other 2 cameras, once the memory card is full, it won't recycle over old files and the loop recording fails. This is reported by others in the forum as well. They also bought from E-PRANCE and it also came with firmware 20131026.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/firmware-20131026-e-prance-not-stable.3260/

Can you try and ask the factory for a November firmware? Someone has reported seeing 20131114 out there.

I really hope the factory can create a stable firmware for this new 0801.
~Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
JazJon - "Someone has reported seeing 20131114 out there."

JazJon - you seem to have bad luck - it was me who saw it that version - it was at this web, *please remember* I dont have it mine is lower and i needed my reading glasses to check and didnt have them - i will report here when i get the chance but it has got the version just past halfway down in the middle.
http://www.carcamerachoices.co.uk/black_bullet_camera.html - hope it helps - they work I dont have any trouble at all with mine.

Back