Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Nothing is recorded...

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 19
"I've had to turn audio off to get the camera to work"

You call that working? LOL - in my game we call that a "fudge". No offence intended - but your camera does not work.

You call that working? LOL - in my game we call that a "fudge". No offence intended - but your camera does not work.

I agree.. but understand Jez's reluctance to send back to China for repair or replacement, and so we tend to try almost everything to get them working, especially when many users are having good experiences with the camera, but there is obviously some bad one's out there too, and it's these that usually end up being discussed on here. If it work okay without audio, which is a fudge, or bodge, or as I would discribe it.. a work around..lol it's all the same thing. and if indeed it continues to work okay without audio turned on I would likely keep it too, in the hope that eventually I'll suss it out. Only other alternative is to return it.

Last edited:
So, I managed to find the 20130913 firmware, but it's the same, when I start it I only get a black screen like on the image below. The recording starts, but if I stop it nothing is saved, the time counter in the bottom keeps going and waiting circle appears. After a few minutes the camera freezes and the only way to restart it is to hold down the power button.

Can it be a hardware problem? :(

Nothing is recorded...
Andras, i would like to know, is there no video file in TF after you record, or there is a MOV file but nothing playback, only black screen with time running?

No file was created whatsoever. I wanted to make a short video, the camera slipped from my hand and hit the table from around the height of 1 cm. MAGIC it works perfectly. :confused: I lost one day trying everything out :mad:

No file was created whatsoever. I wanted to make a short video, the camera slipped from my hand and hit the table from around the height of 1 cm. MAGIC it works perfectly. :confused: I lost one day trying everything out :mad:
1cm or 1m? ;)
Mini 0801 is designed with 0.8m drop test on tough surface so it should be okey.
if no other accident, it maybe a connection problem between the internal connectors (just my surmise); please contact your seller to repair.

1cm, it just slipped out from my hand. I'm already in talk with givoe.

The sellers - like givoe - eprance - are they factories? if not - who are the factories? Is eprance and givoe just ebayers?

Just out of interest, would you:

1) Send it back to China for £15, tracked in the UK, UNTRACKED in China (Royal Mail). Then if it does actually get there, and the seller that doesn't respond to messages tells me he's received it, wait several few weeks for a replacement/repair. Even then I could still get another bad one.

2) Buy another memory card, even though h2testw confirms the card speed is well above what is required to write 1080p + audio, and JazJon has the exact same card working fine in his 0801.

3) Keep it, request a partial refund, leave bad feedback for the seller on ebay and amazon. Audio is not why I bought a dash cam. What advantage does a camera with audio provide? You can hear what radio station you were listening to as you review crash footage?

Maybe there are other options that I've overlooked? Or would you choose (1) or (2)?

Just out of interest, would you:
Maybe there are other options that I've overlooked? Or would you choose (1) or (2)?

a Samsung 32G class6 TF only cost $25, we believe that is acceptable.

Bad News :(
Today I was showing someone my fantastic dual cam system (WF1 up front, 0801 in the back). I wanted to let them feel the Mini 0801 so I pulled it out of the GPS dock. (it was powered off) I did accidentally turn it on battery power during the show & tell but what ever right? After they were done looking I re-inserted it back into the GPS dock.

After our dinner it was time to drive home. I started up my car, heard the chime noise confirming the 0801 powered on, and boom it quit after 24 seconds. I'm pretty sure it flashed the same old low speed, storage error. It did this every time I turned the car off/on. It's same old error I posted the video about before. I tried re-seating the 0801 into the GPS base. I tried re-seating the USB power cord. The 0801 refused to record for more than a few seconds as before. This was with the Samsung (EDIT, Sandisk) 32GB Class 4 card. So again, I did accidentally turn the camera on (battery power) while it was in my hand with the show and tell. Did that somehow corrupt the card in a way the forces you to re-format? After nearly a dozen failed attempts, I re-formatted the card, and everything is working as it should. (since the card is no longer full) I'm using 3min clips by the way. Re-seating had no effect.

I was saving my new Samsung Class 6 card for the new replacement 0801 on the away from e-prance. I think it's time I throw it in my Givoe 8GB model to see what happens. Here we go again! It was working great all week long, and card was for sure full

Last edited:
a Samsung 32G class6 TF only cost $25, we believe that is acceptable.

And what if the Samsung 32GB class 6 still showing the same error. Are you going to tell Jez that bad luck he has just spent the $25 for no gain?

Some of us here who are having loop recording error with a class 4 card, I seriously doubt a class 6 card is going to fix the problem. I will be testing my Samsung 8GB class 4 card again in coming weeks, if it still shows the error I am going to demand a full refund from Giveo. Totally unacceptable for a device that is supposedly be a set-and-forget device.

And what if the Samsung 32GB class 6 still showing the same error. Are you going to tell Jez that bad luck he has just spent the $25 for no gain?

Some of us here who are having loop recording error with a class 4 card, I seriously doubt a class 6 card is going to fix the problem. I will be testing my Samsung 8GB class 4 card again in coming weeks, if it still shows the error I am going to demand a full refund from Giveo. Totally unacceptable for a device that is supposedly be a set-and-forget device.

I don't plan on using the 0801 long term, I'm hanging with it as a learning experience & challenge for now. As you know it's already been demoted to be my rear DashCam. I'll keep pushing for a new firmware if the Samsung Class 6 fails. I still have the "fresh batch" 0801 on the way from e-prance to test as well soon.

Hey Efoo - you nailed it - the reply to your first part below will probably be no logic or help whatsoever. Probably just "try this or tickle that", "buy one of these - it isnt our fault".

This camera will work eventually - mine are on their way. And I aint going to take any fluff - I will publish EVERYTHING and also EVERYTHING THAT EVERY SELLER TELLS ME.

This is going to be a lot of fun.

Mine is still going strong 3 weeks later on the Kingston card, can't fault it now, although it is bloody annoying that it should work regardless of what brand/size/class card is inserted. I can safely say the Kingston Class 4 16Gb card works without hiccups... on my version of hardware that is!

I recommended one to my friend before the issues became apparent, he bought one with the 8Gb internal memory and that doesn't work properly, Storage IO errors - definitely not fit for purpose!

What's even more frustrating is that they will probably stop making the 0801 soon, moving on to the next model without even fixing the underlying problems on the 0801 expecting people to either live with it, or change. I can't speak for everyone else but I certainly don't like wasting money like that.

Back