Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Been reading this forum. Thank everyone for sharing.
Very interested in this model.
I have looked at both the Aliexpress seller, GIVOE; & ebay seller, e-prance.
Seems like the GIVOE version is shipping w/ the MOV recording only. However, there seems to be minor bugs with both versions.

@JazJon, I notice you purchased from both GIVOE & e-prance. Are you happy with both versions?

Is everyone here happy with this device so far?

ron9349 said:
Seems like the GIVOE version is shipping w/ the MOV recording only. However, there seems to be minor bugs with both versions.

@JazJon, I notice you purchased from both GIVOE & e-prance. Are you happy with both versions?

E Prance sells *.mov version ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121173276417

Don't think this will work by wiring into the light system that stays on a little longer.

I'm thinking of working on a circuit to auto shutdown after x amount of time. From 5 secs upto 10 hrs if you want. It will also auto turn on should it it detect vibration in the car, much like park mode would work. If someone knocks into you it will power up the camera and start autorecord like it would normally would if you start the car up, and after it's powered off it would stay on for 10 mins for example. It would then wake up should vibration be detected and stay on for another 10 mins.

JazJon said:
The 0801 auto powers off when the car shuts down. There is a way to let it record slightly ealier/longer. Here is what I plan on trying.

"Wire DashCam - Interior Lights Live Feed = Longer Recordings"
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2363

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how many milliamps the camera draws?

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so I can't check.

I'm working on a project and curious about the power draw on it.

ron9349 said:

The original one I bought came from e-prance, it has several dead/stuck cmos sensor pixels. (that only show up in low light with no motion)
I went with Givoe because they confirmed they were the first to ship the .MOV firmware. I'm going to keep the old camera as a rear facing dashcam or my friend wants to use it and I'll sell it.

029kid said:
ron9349 said:

E Prance sells *.mov version ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0801-Ambar ... 1c367d7701

trancen said:
Don't think this will work by wiring into the light system that stays on a little longer.
I'm thinking of working on a circuit to auto shutdown after x amount of time. From 5 secs upto 10 hrs if you want. It will also auto turn on should it it detect vibration in the car, much like park mode would work. If someone knocks into you it will power up the camera and start autorecord like it would normally would if you start the car up, and after it's powered off it would stay on for 10 mins for example. It would then wake up should vibration be detected and stay on for another 10 mins.

Almost every re-seller's product page has listed .MOV specs all summer long, but it's not accurate. The reason it lists .MOV is because this camera was supposed to record in .MOV from day one. (so old marketing info) Recording in .TS was a work around until they stabilize the firmware to record in .MOV. (see several pages back, I know this thread is getting long) Some of the story is told on the 0801 FAQ page as well check it out.

Maybe you can combine your project using the $7 battery talked about in the following thread? It's confirmed to be able to charge via micro USB port and output power to it's USB port at the same time.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2363
Don't forget this page too
http://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

I don't know the 0801 power draw specs sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
trancen said:

The problem with wake on vibration is - how long does the cam take to wake? Even two seconds is forever in dashcamworld. The other problem is, by the time the vibration is felt, the 'action' could be over & done with.
A car driving by hits your wing mirror, (it's going in the opposite direction) the cam wakes up but unless you have multiple cams...

sludgeguts said:
The problem with wake on vibration is - how long does the cam take to wake? Even two seconds is forever in dashcamworld. The other problem is, by the time the vibration is felt, the 'action' could be over & done with.
A car driving by hits your wing mirror, (it's going in the opposite direction) the cam wakes up but unless you have multiple cams...

yeah it needs to be something done by the cam, not by an external device

I was just advised moments ago (just as i go to bed) by BetterKing reseller in China the reason my camera doesn't automatically upgrade the firmware from 20130705 to 20130903 or 2013090x when its in the root directory of the Micro SD card is because I need to use a special USB cable to micro sd slot with 5 pins. It's a "special" firmware upgrade or one thing like that........WTF? I didn't know there was such a cable and how and why that is supposed to work is beyond me.

Anyone else hearing this? Any leads on this cable? Or is this likely a goat rope exercise? After quick googling, I see this "cable" might be avail in China and/or for Samsung phones......

Perhaps this is the reason others can't upgrade with their firmware too? Apparently, we're "special" firmware and/or camera owners? Lol. Seriously....?! Someone has to be pulling my leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hmmmm How should we respond?

"Dear Jon~
:( I am sorry, i made a mistake.
The factury need the video, not the video files: would you pls make a video on the condition of GPS using
Sorry, pls forgive me.
Demi.
- e-prance"

JazJon said:
hmmmm How should we respond?

"Dear Jon~
:( I am sorry, i made a mistake.
The factury need the video, not the video files: would you pls make a video on the condition of GPS using
Sorry, pls forgive me.
Demi.
- e-prance"

what was the question being asked of the factory?

Maybe you should make a vidéo of your dashcam in your car...?!

The 4 bullet points on page 47

Mainly the sopposed missing Accelerometer speed data, corrupted .log files that add "V,,,,,"
Missing beep volume control, missing GPS open/close (on/off) and addition of MPH.

I spelled it all out I guess I'll have to record a video of me pointing at the log file and registratorviewer behaviour. (And the GUI menu missing things)

nuxator said:

this is possibly what they're asking for (it's a common thing for engineers to request if they don't understand a question and want to see what you're describing), just wanted to clarify what was sent to them to get this response though

jokiin said:
nuxator said:

this is possibly what they're asking for (it's a common thing for engineers to request if they don't understand a question and want to see what you're describing), just wanted to clarify what was sent to them to get this response though

I'm too tired to dig through sent items and piece together the break down in communication. I'm just going to spell out the simple bullet points, show the screen ship .jpg of .log files before/after shots, and go from there. Hopefully Givoe understands my messages better.

One more:

"Hello Jon,
Got a new massage, pls handle as follows:
1, open your set up menu.
2, find the "STAMP" menu
3,choose the "DATE TIME" option
4, and then have a try if it has the write speed.
Just have a try, the factury told me.
Pls tell me your result.
:) Thanks
Demi
- e-prance"

I responded...........

Hi Demi, I'm not really able to video record the problem, it's easier if I give you point by point.

1) Speed Accelerator data is corrupted in the new .log files. You will see mysterious "V,,,,," characters added that were not in the old firmware .log files
(see attached "GPS log files corrupted in 20130903.jpg" photo)
This photo compares both the old .log file (on top) and new .log file (bottom) See the V,,,, ?

2) Missing beep volume control (old firmware had High, Low, Off) New firmware the beep is on at all times.
3) GPS open/close (on/off) missing the ability to turn off gps in menu on new firmware
4) Please add MPH (Miles Per Hour) in addition to KPH

I got your other reply just now, the Speed shows up good when enabled. The .log files are the main problem here. I'm not sure why the new firmware adds strange "V,,,," ? It messes up using the application I use to view and combine videos with. (RegistratorViewer) It worked great with the old firmware.

~Jon

Attachments

• GPS log files corrupted in 20130903.jpg
    GPS log files corrupted in 20130903.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 54
I agree, the point of this exercise I'm working on is that I can get power from the overhead light without having the need to run a wire back to my fuse box. And once I park the car the camera keeps rolling until say 20 mins have passed and it shutsdown.
The circuit uses a 'trigger' to activate the circuit to power up the camera. that trigger can be from a vibration sensor or a light thats turned on when the door is opened.
For the cost of vibration sensors, why not add that 'feature'.

Clearly a feature like this would be great if it was built into the camera to record if there is a vibration, but it's not. Or have a option to shutdown the camera after x amount of time that the g-sensor senses no movement. But it's not there, it's a side effect that I can add a circuit to sense vibration. Call it a feature.

sludgeguts said:
trancen said:

trancen said:
Clearly a feature like this would be great if it was built into the camera to record if there is a vibration, but it's not. Or have a option to shutdown the camera after x amount of time that the g-sensor senses no movement. But it's not there

that's certainly something a camera could do, it's firmware/hardware dependent though of course

Make it happen! :)

You're not dealing with the 0801 Mini are you? I mean the manufacture of that camera?

jokiin said:
trancen said:
Clearly a feature like this would be great if it was built into the camera to record if there is a vibration, but it's not. Or have a option to shutdown the camera after x amount of time that the g-sensor senses no movement. But it's not there

that's certainly something a camera could do, it's firmware/hardware dependent though of course

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back