Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

It is very difficult to get the one size fits all firmware to suit every circumstance but we still work on improving the results to get the best we can out of it, we also want a bit more user adjustability there for those that want to fine tune to their own taste, that's still to come

Is the white wire (Rx I believe) supposed to be hooked up? I don't think so, as the white wire was disconnected and much shorter than the other wires.

It's a 4 wire cable but only 3 wires are used. You can leave the white one disconnected.

I need to re-do my flip the GPS video since I was using the previous model GPS. I'll get one posted shortly so people know "exactly" what to expect.

Well I did say peripheral vision, not looking from the headlight beam to the roadside, plus it doesn't account for the lesser spotlighting effect of the Blackvue. I am looking at the 2 videos, are you? :confused:

Peripheral vision is more sensitive to motion, while central vision is more sensitive to colour and focus. What you saw in your peripheral vision with your naked eyes are probably movement of roadside objects passing you by.

Also like you said, you haven't got a proper chance to set the dashcam up to your liking yet (unlike your Blackvue).

I don't own either a SG or a Blackvue, may be if you can post a side-by-side night video of them, so we can get a better idea. Cheers.

I collected my SG from Autobarn at Kilburn and installed it late this afternoon after flipping the GPS board (which Kong knew nothing about) with some final adjustments still to do.

The directions suggest fitting it to the LHS of the mirror where I have a large sensor for the headlights and wipers, so I installed the cam a little further to the left as it would have been near impossible to retrieve the SD card going to the RHS of the mirror. This has left me with a lopsided picture – slightly more left than right, but will suffice.

Question – When I upload vision to my computer it is stored in an RO (?) folder and is played by windows media player.

To view it in Registrator Viewer I have to 'add files' but cant find an option to save the files there. What am I doing wrong?

RO folder is Read Only, those are write protected files, either by G-Sensor or manually saved

If you use Registrator Viewer it should scan the drive and add all the files and sort them

Not sure what you mean by saving the files though, can you elaborate?

I just want the dashcam to perform as good as possible during night time, and if that mean that the sky is a little off during daytime so be it.
But it is easy for me to say so as i will not use my camera to make Journey logs or actual movies, if i was to do somthing like that i would break out my Dslr.

For me the interesting things with dashcams at the moment is form factor ( witch this single cam nail pretty good ) and other technical additions in soft/firm ware.
The best dashcams allready more or less perform as good as current generation CMOS chips allow for, so i see no significant improvements in picture quality aside for 4K but i think that is still a couple of years in the future for dashcams.
1 thing is for sure regarding 4K and dashcams, no way in hell will i have 4-500 dollars glued to my windscreen all the time, so by then i expect hidden main units and a small remote camera.

Well I do have to say and reiterate the general feelings expressed on here about this product and at risk of repeating it all again - awesome is the word of the day, clarity, stability of the recording and the sound pick up and clarity is amazing for such a small device (I had forgotten to tell the present Lady Wife that all she said would be recorded oops!) Yes you could say I am impressed VERY impressed.

I might take the mount off the screen and move it a tad towards the center of the screen and below the sensor cover, the only thing being the cable from the GPS might not let me do this - we shall see.

Having a problem or two with the Registrator viewer but I will send a billets-doux to Niko and seek his advice on that matter as it has frozen up my pc three times and whilst it is running now I guess it is me that is not doing something right hey ho.

All in all a bloody great piece of Kit 'well' pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:

Thanks Jon, this is how I did it. I was extra cautious to not put strain on the wires, but maybe I was not that careful. But, I think the solder joints on mine were weak. Just be extra cautious when handeling, and try to put the least amount of strain on the wires as possible.

Timezone not working for me on Pacific time. Dashcam says it is an hour behind. Any idea how to fix it?

I adjust the time manually, then as soon as GPS locks it reverts back to an hour before. GPS lock is pretty quick, I must say.

Timezone not working for me on Pacific time. Dashcam says it is an hour behind. Any idea how to fix it?

I adjust the time manually, then as soon as GPS locks it reverts back to an hour before. GPS lock is pretty quick, I must say.

This is normal. You need to set it to -07 until the fall daylight savings kicks in. Then you can go back to -08

We still have some fine tuning to do so hope not to get judged too harshly

Regarding firmware updates do most buyers even know they exist? Do you include something in the packet saying to look for firmware updates on a given website or encourage and allow email signup for future firmware update notices? If not it could easily be added to a warranty paper.

To me this information should be a separate piece of paper or on a sticker as many people seem to never look at the owners manual of anything they buy.

Regarding firmware updates do most buyers even know they exist? Do you include something in the packet saying to look for firmware updates on a given website or encourage and allow email signup for future firmware update notices? If not it could easily be added to a warranty paper.

To me this information should be a separate piece of paper or on a sticker as many people seem to never look at the owners manual of anything they buy.
Not trying to speak for Jon or Rick but this isn't something that's unique to dash cams. Just about any modern electronic device has some form of firmware that can be updated - sometimes it's mentioned in the documentation, sometimes on a website and sometimes not at all.

My DVD player will flash a pop-up message under some circumstances suggesting I check the manufacturer's web site. My car on the other hand has at least a dozen or so control modules all of which can be updated but the only way to find out by a trip to the dealer. I've had external hard drives that did not perform to specifications and when I called tech support the first thing they did was email me new firmware to install and check again. Never could find reference to the firmware anywhere on the 'web'.

I can understand a reluctance on the part of the manufacturer to make F/W updates generally available because it can cause a nightmare of support problems - failed installs, incorrect F/W for device, etc. There are enough postings on this site where people have 'bricked' their cameras to give you an idea of the support issues that could result.

Ok, some updates with my cam!

- GPS in Reg Viewer

Yes I was still on RV version 5 so I upgraded to 6 and now the GPS works, thanks for the tip @jokiin!

- Setting Time & Zone

So I tested the time settings by intentionally setting the wrong time in the menu. My GPS had a lock, and within seconds the time on the camera snapped back to the correct time, so that's awesome to see!

- 50 vs 60hz

I was noticing some "ugliness" in my playback video and remembered I was still on 50hz. I changed back to 60 hz and the video was a lot smoother.

- Picture Quality

So the picture quality is definitely better than my Mini 0801. Under similar conditions, same street, broad daylight, the SG seems to capture WAY more light, the picture is brighter and clearer. The SG files are a solid 15 Mbps while my Mini 0801 footage was about 11 Mbps.

Strangely though, there just seems to something "off", "fuzzy", or generally "not quite right" about the picture quality when I playback video. Perhaps I'm spoiled by other HD content I regularly watch...? After all, I RARELY pull out my SD card to watch my Dashcam footage... It definitely beats my Mini 0801, but I just feel like it should be better, clearer...

I'm not sure I can blame the camera yet... So far I've played back footage on my laptop and on my HDTV using an HDMI cable from my laptop. My laptop screen is only like 800p, so I know that's not ideal. My TV is 1080p, and when connecting my laptop via HDMI it bumps up to that resolution, but it tends to prodcue a picture that looks like it has been "sharpened" multiple times, if you know what I mean... very bright, saturated, and "grainy".

I need to take some files to my office PC at work where I have 2 full 1080p monitors so I can compare side by side and get a better idea of the quality.

- Night Quality

I can definitely corroborate what @CoolyKid was saying about night video, where everything outside the headlight beam was nearly black. This was during full night on a street with no lighting.

I do know that night quality is good though, because in final moments of twilight, the sky appeared dark to my eyes, but on the Dashcam screen, it was a vivid deep blue, so the cam appeared to be getting more light than my eyes.

I guess I can raise to Exposure to compensate for any darkness?

If you turn WDR off you'll see more night detail off to the sides but Center hot spot license plate numbers will be harder to read

Last edited by a moderator:
Back