Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

You're not alone, it's actually a 3M static sticker, if you needed to temp install you can stick that to the window and then mount the bracket to it and it's easily removed afterward

Ah ha I wished I had known that or at least had contacted Nico as it would have negated me taping the camera to the w/screen and messing about with a 'measuring stick' not to old to learn is the mantra I need to take more notice of.... Thanks jokin

@Pier28 are working on an unboxing video that will run through this small detail type stuff, we've all been a bit busy recently and it got pushed to the side but hopefully we'll get that sorted soon

- I'd probably place the GPS sensor in the corner of my dashboard, but what could I do to prevent any potential damage to a black, all-leather dashboard from the 3M adhesive?...

I have the same issue and what I'm going to try (before flipping the internals and mounting on the glass) is to use a small piece of velcro tape to hold it in place. The adhesive on it is nowhere near as strong as the 3M stuff and should remove easily without damage.

The plan is to use a very small piece (1/4" x 1/4" or smaller) on the dash itself so even on the off chance that it does affect the finish it will be a very small area tucked away in the corner and, hopefully, not noticeable. The GPS unit is light enough that it won't take much to keep it in place.

I had one sitting like this for about 6 months, very unprofessional of me but I do change stuff around a lot unfortunately

I does not look at all untidy indeed I doubt if anyone would know it was not stuck down and as it is behind the Tax Disc holder it can't be seen, when that goes shortly I will place an English Heritage roundel in its place - so job done.

Just got mine installed. Thanks to @Niko for an easy transaction. Was initially going to get an 806 but cancelled my order when I saw all the problems that people had been having

Some initial thoughts:
Very nicely packaged product. With all the extra bits and spares supplied it really feels like this was put together by an enthusiast who really cares about his end product.

Plugged it all in and it works fine. I love it when stuff just works. Been out for a test and really happy with the whole product. So glad that I bought this dashcam :)

However, a couple of points to note:
  1. An inventory checklist would be useful. I had no idea what the plastic sheet or the string was for until I checked on here. I know it's early days for the product and I'm sure this is coming in later releases
  2. There are a couple of issues with the GPS cable. I mounted it in the corner of the dash but the cable is painfully short. Due to a sensor in the middle of the windscreen I had to offset the dashcam some 6 inches to the left of centre. Even so, there was only maybe 1 inch of cable spare once I had routed it around the dash and windscreen. Had I had even a slightly bigger car or wished to mount the camera more centrally, as is normal, then the cable just wouldn't have been long enough. I've attached some pictures showing the installation and how little slack there is in the cable
  3. Second issue with the GPS cable is that the plug is too long to insert into the camera whilst the camera is mounted on the screen. Last picture below shows that I cannot insert it any further than shown due to it fouling on the cable tidy thing. I can only get the cable in if the camera is not attached to the mount. Then I can slide it onto the mount ok but the plug is under pressure as it's squashed against the cable tidy. I'm hoping that this won't force the mount off the windscreen, hopefully not. Nobody else has reported this so not sure why this is an issue for me. Maybe my windscreen is curved at the top?

Having said all that, it's in and is working so that's the main thing but maybe a longer GPS cable and either a shorter plug (or a right angled one) would be an option for future releases in order to make it more universal?

p1010969_1.jpg p1010970_1.jpg p1010971_1.jpg p1010973_1.jpg p1010969_1.jpg p1010970_1.jpg p1010971_1.jpg p1010973_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback, we couldn't get a longer cable at short notice unfortunately, some people feel its too long already, it will work with an extension cable no problem and we're looking at sourcing some of these for the odd install where its not quite enough, as you say rain sensors and the like can eat up a bit of space

Connecting the plugs before putting it on the bracket I find easier, as long as you let it bond before putting any pressure on it you should be fine, I've had them on for almost a year without a problem

Thanks for the feedback, we couldn't get a longer cable at short notice unfortunately, some people feel its too long already, it will work with an extension cable no problem and we're looking at sourcing some of these for the odd install where its not quite enough, as you say rain sensors and the like can eat up a bit of space

Connecting the plugs before putting it on the bracket I find easier, as long as you let it bond before putting any pressure on it you should be fine, I've had them on for almost a year without a problem
Yeah I'm sure it will be fine. It's only a really minor thing but thought it worth mentioning. I had a bit of a head scratch moment trying to get the plug in but it was an easy workaround in the end. I guess fitting the thicker mount would create a little more wiggle room. Can always do that later if the need arises.

Great product though, very impressed

1. There are a couple of issues with the GPS cable. I mounted it in the corner of the dash but the cable is painfully short. Due to a sensor in the middle of the windscreen I had to offset the dashcam some 6 inches to the left of centre. Even so, there was only maybe 1 inch of cable spare once I had routed it around the dash and windscreen. Had I had even a slightly bigger car or wished to mount the camera more centrally, as is normal, then the cable just wouldn't have been long enough. I've attached some pictures showing the installation and how little slack there is in the cable
  2. Second issue with the GPS cable is that the plug is too long to insert into the camera whilst the camera is mounted on the screen. Last picture below shows that I cannot insert it any further than shown due to it fouling on the cable tidy thing. I can only get the cable in if the camera is not attached to the mount. Then I can slide it onto the mount ok but the plug is under pressure as it's squashed against the cable tidy. I'm hoping that this won't force the mount off the windscreen, hopefully not. Nobody else has reported this so not sure why this is an issue for me. Maybe my windscreen is curved at the top?

I noticed the same thing when test fitting mine, although I did not extend the cable it's full length. An extension will help but the install will not be as clean.

What exacerbates the matter is the USB socket and GPS socket run parallel to the screen which forces the respective cables to angle towards the mounting surface. A better design in this regard would be for the sockets to run parallel to the back side (non-screen) of the camera.

Edit: I just went out and did a 'test fit' of my installation and the GPS cable will be long enough with about 6-10 inches to spare. So for my purposes it's OK. This is running from the camera in the center of the windshield, up under the headliner, and down the A-pillar to the lower corner of the windshield.

Last edited:
Edit: I just went out and did a 'test fit' of my installation and the GPS cable will be long enough with about 6-10 inches to spare. So for my purposes it's OK. This is running from the camera in the center of the windshield, up under the headliner, and down the A-pillar to the lower corner of the windshield.

Same issue here just enough with about 5 inches or so to tuck away and my camera is to the left and slightly below the sensor cover, I would not have wanted it much longer though.

I have the camera plugged in to the cigarette lighter, but I really want to run a tap. My plan was to tap a 12V dc wire, put an in-line 12V-5V dc PSU, and then cut off the cigarette lighter plug and attach the two lines to the 5V PSU. Would that safely power the unit the same as what's there now? I have no familiarity with how the USB power plugs work.

I also have a few questions about the software. When I start up the car the cam turns on and the rec light slow blinks red.

Is it recording video? If I press the rec button again it goes to solid red. That makes me think it's not recording when it turns on?

What is "loop mode" of 1-3-5 minutes?

Loop mode is the length of the individual video segments, me and i think most others use 3 minutes.
The smaller segments make it quicker to locate a event instead of having to view a entire 4 Gb video clip to find the 20 seconds of footage you need.
Offcourse there is allso the event button on the camera you can press to save/lock a event, but personal i never use it, i just make a mental note of when and where it happned and then i recover the footage when i get home.
Allso with the small video segments you dont loose so mutch at a time when the memory card is full and the camera start to delete the oldest video segmente on the memory card.
The camera is recording if the red LED is flashing.

Additional info.

As it is right now there is a 1 second overlap on the footage, this is so you dont miss a millisecond of footage in case of a event.
Using registrator viewer you can cut off that overlap and have it stitch any number of files together to 1 big file ( should you need that )

The fjew times i have had a event right at the end of a segment change i have just used the 2 files it was spread over and then added them together in movie maker with the 1 second overlap, but this is due to me not using registrator viewer or any other dedicated dashcam viewer before.

There should allso be some prebuffered footage if you press the manual event button on the camera, but its not long so if you use that you will have to press the event butten as soon as the event happen. ( this can wary from brand to brand, so you might want to do a test yourself, i recomend pressing button when you are at a intersection and when the light turn to green, that way you can time what ammount of footage you have before you press event button )

As i said i prefer the mental note, witch in turn mean i have to secure the footage same day or i have forgotten all about it and will have to sort thry a lot of footage to find it.

There is allso work going on to make a much better user manual, the one we have now is just a quick start guide.

Additional info.

As it is right now there is a 1 second overlap on the footage, this is so you dont miss a millisecond of footage in case of a event.
Using registrator viewer you can cut off that overlap and have it stitch any number of files together to 1 big file ( should you need that )

The fjew times i have had a event right at the end of a segment change i have just used the 2 files it was spread over and then added them together in movie maker with the 1 second overlap, but this is due to me not using registrator viewer or any other dedicated dashcam viewer before. .

Registrator Viewer – Windows versions – Profile settings for SG9665xx series cameras »
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4nsvpj9on2y426c/Configure-Registrator-Viewer-for-SG9665XX-series.pdf

Registrator Viewer – Windows versions – How to export a file segment »
http://www.mediafire.com/view/dp4p9gpribkz0rt/Export-files-from-Registrator-Viewer.pdf

I have the camera plugged in to the cigarette lighter, but I really want to run a tap. My plan was to tap a 12V dc wire, put an in-line 12V-5V dc PSU, and then cut off the cigarette lighter plug and attach the two lines to the 5V PSU. Would that safely power the unit the same as what's there now? I have no familiarity with how the USB power plugs work.

I wouldn't cut the included cigarette lighter plug. (For resale value and other troubleshooting purposes). Standard mini USB cables are quite inexpensive and you're better off investing in a new dedicated long miniUSB cable. Street Guardian will have some mini USB hard wire kits available in the near future.

Been 'playing' with the GC for a bit today and have some questions.

1. What is the 'Boot Delay' option?
2. Is it possible to imbed/display GPS data on the captured video?
3. How can I access the GPS data other than via Registrator Viewer?

So far I'm really impressed with the build, audio and video quality. Unfortunately I'm not going to get them installed in the vehicles until later this week - it's just too cold to go out and run cables, etc., especially considering I have cameras in both cars already.

Just got mine installed. Thanks to @Niko for an easy transaction. Was initially going to get an 806 but cancelled my order when I saw all the problems that people had been having

Some initial thoughts:
Very nicely packaged product. With all the extra bits and spares supplied it really feels like this was put together by an enthusiast who really cares about his end product.

Plugged it all in and it works fine. I love it when stuff just works. Been out for a test and really happy with the whole product. So glad that I bought this dashcam :)

However, a couple of points to note:
  1. An inventory checklist would be useful. I had no idea what the plastic sheet or the string was for until I checked on here. I know it's early days for the product and I'm sure this is coming in later releases
  2. There are a couple of issues with the GPS cable. I mounted it in the corner of the dash but the cable is painfully short. Due to a sensor in the middle of the windscreen I had to offset the dashcam some 6 inches to the left of centre. Even so, there was only maybe 1 inch of cable spare once I had routed it around the dash and windscreen. Had I had even a slightly bigger car or wished to mount the camera more centrally, as is normal, then the cable just wouldn't have been long enough. I've attached some pictures showing the installation and how little slack there is in the cable
  3. Second issue with the GPS cable is that the plug is too long to insert into the camera whilst the camera is mounted on the screen. Last picture below shows that I cannot insert it any further than shown due to it fouling on the cable tidy thing. I can only get the cable in if the camera is not attached to the mount. Then I can slide it onto the mount ok but the plug is under pressure as it's squashed against the cable tidy. I'm hoping that this won't force the mount off the windscreen, hopefully not. Nobody else has reported this so not sure why this is an issue for me. Maybe my windscreen is curved at the top?

Having said all that, it's in and is working so that's the main thing but maybe a longer GPS cable and either a shorter plug (or a right angled one) would be an option for future releases in order to make it more universal?

View attachment 12247 View attachment 12248 View attachment 12249 View attachment 12250 View attachment 12247 View attachment 12248 View attachment 12249 View attachment 12250

You can try to "pull" GPS module closer to windshield / A-pillar. It will give you another 2-3 cm cable length and more near install.

Quick photoshoping.

GPS location.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been 'playing' with the GC for a bit today and have some questions.

1. What is the 'Boot Delay' option?
2. Is it possible to imbed/display GPS data on the captured video?
3. How can I access the GPS data other than via Registrator Viewer?

So far I'm really impressed with the build, audio and video quality. Unfortunately I'm not going to get them installed in the vehicles until later this week - it's just too cold to go out and run cables, etc., especially considering I have cameras in both cars already.

1. Boot delay is for special diesel engines to prevent the camera from tripping up.

2. It's on the firmware to do list of possibilities. It's best to use the embedded data with the external software for now. The hard coded option is being revisited on how it can be done better.

3. Try http://dashcamviewer.com

Last edited:
You can try to "pull" GPS module closer to windshield / A-pillar. It will give you another 2-3 cm cable length and more near install.

Quick photoshoping.
Unfortunately the location I chose is the closest I can get it to the windscreen before the dash starts to curve upwards. I figured that the sticky pad would have a hard time sticking to a concave surface.

As I managed to just about get it connected then I'm tempted to leave it there for now. .It's all working wonderfully and the GPS connects in under a second so it seems to be happy where it is. If it isn't broke don't fix it :p

Having said that I might see if I can tuck the GPS wire directly underneath the panel, instead of routing it towards the windscreen then back again. There is no gap between the A-pillar panel and the dashboard which is what prompted me to go for the route of least resistance.

better just to buy a female lighter socket (you can buy them at places like Autozone, Pepboys, probably even Walmart) for a few dollars and plug the included adapter into that

we will have some hardwire USB power supplies available soon also

Back