Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

Connect the cables before attaching to the mount, the cable relief will bend against the mount to keep it firm and stop it vibrating or shifting

Baseplate for both the camera and the cable cover were both on, even the larger Baseplate for vertical windows still doesn't allow enough space.

Attachments

• 1428036151041.jpg
    1428036151041.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 35
Baseplate for both the camera and the cable cover were both on, even the larger Baseplate for vertical windows still doesn't allow enough space.

As Jokiin said, it's ok for the cables to slightly touch the glass, strain relief will barely move but just enough to provide some vibration support. Connect the cables before you slide click-pop the camera onto the base.

But that's the problem, just with the camera alone the cables are bent against the glass so there's no room between the glass and the cables for the base of the cable cover.

But that's the problem, just with the camera alone the cables are bent against the glass so there's no room between the glass and the cables for the base of the cable cover.

Here's with the slim standard plate. I can see why it's hard to imagine how it works when the plate is not actually stuck to the glass and you're simulating. But not to worry, it fits/feels great once properly up on the glass.
0HDbZzel.jpg

Okay no worries, thanks.

I am going to do a bit of shaving with a dremel though because I'm going to also use a different usb cable plugged into a battery pack in the glove box... Plus I'm going to shorten the cover so I can put the camera further up the windscreen towards the roof.

Thanks for the lightning fast replies Pier28 and Jokiin

Okay no worries, thanks.

I am going to do a bit of shaving with a dremel though because I'm going to also use a different usb cable plugged into a battery pack in the glove box... Plus I'm going to shorten the cover so I can put the camera further up the windscreen towards the roof.

Thanks for the lightning fast replies Pier28 and Jokiin

Happy to help as always

Cutting the cover is a good idea, you can get the exact drop length you need.

But if you wish/prefer to remove the camera as I do you also need to remove the cable cover to enable the camera to be slid up and removed from its base plate...and cutting the base plate might mean you loose the narrow end retaining lugs so use of the tiny screw would seem to be essential to keep the cover on.

I would have preferred to have used the cover but because of the above did not:(.

If you're really concerned another option would be to use an additional piece of 3M tape to provide additional clearance - one is included in the package.

A third option would be to remove the 3M tape from the attaching plate and replace it with industrial strength Velcro. It's much thicker and would provide more than enough clearance to satisfy your concerns.

I've used this stuff and can attest that it's adhesive qualities are nearly the same, if not equal to, the 3M stuff. I have a box sitting around all the time and it really works well for a number of things.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-4-ft-x-2-in-Industrial-Strength-Tape-90593/202261931

Last edited:
If you're really concerned another option would be to use an additional piece of 3M tape to provide additional clearance - one is included in the package.

A third option would be to remove the 3M tape from the attaching plate and replace it with industrial strength Velcro. It's much thicker and would provide more than enough clearance to satisfy your concerns.

I've use this stuff and can attest that it's adhesive qualities are nearly the same, if not equal to, the 3M stuff. I have a box sitting around all the time and it really works well for a number of things.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-4-ft-x-2-in-Industrial-Strength-Tape-90593/202261931
Nice tip, thanks :)

In situ it does actually fit properly but only just, the gps plug is the one that gets in the way a bit.

When I cut the cover I should still have one set of tabs holding the cover to its baseplate and then it will be perfect and look oem because it matches the plastic in my Subaru quite well

....Only thing is the gps cable is two inches too short to get it to the base of my windscreen. That's no biggie though because I just stuck it on the dealer service reminder sticker on the top right of my windscreen.

....Only thing is the gps cable is two inches too short to get it to the base of my windscreen. That's no biggie though because I just stuck it on the dealer service reminder sticker on the top right of my windscreen.

keep in mind the GPS logo is the antenna side, also always best to run any cables to the passenger side for safety reasons

it's possible to use a 3.5mm stereo male to female extension cable if you want to extend the cable, you can extend up to about a metre without any issue

keep in mind the GPS logo is the antenna side, also always best to run any cables to the passenger side for safety reasons

it's possible to use a 3.5mm stereo male to female extension cable if you want to extend the cable, you can extend up to about a metre without any issue

Yes actually the second plug will do perfectly because I won't be using the AV jack so I can turn it sideways and it should still fit in the cover plus give me the extension I need. Perfect.

@Rikard,

Looking at your demonstration images, I'm wondering of this problem might not just resolve itself when you press the camera completely flat against the mounting surface as @Pier28 is trying to show in his photo rather than tilting the camera up as in your photo.

tilt.jpg

I think most people that use the cable cover don't plan on removing the camera from the mount very often if at all.

Whilst the above might be true you surely would also accept that there are those (like myself) who will want to remove their DC for security purposes to help prevent 'easily' removable goodies being stolen so such preventative measures are a sensible precaution.

Back