Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

Whilst the above might be true you surely would also accept that there are those (like myself) who will want to remove their DC for security purposes to help prevent 'easily' removable goodies being stolen so such preventative measures are a sensible precaution.
I think if you felt the need to remove it regularly you'd be less likely to use the cable cover

Whilst the above might be true you surely would also accept that there are those (like myself) who will want to remove their DC for security purposes to help prevent 'easily' removable goodies being stolen so such preventative measures are a sensible precaution.

Your comment is relevant to many DashCams, but not to this one. One of it's main attractions is that it looks like OEM equipment, so is largely invisible to opportunist thieves. It's no more likely to be stolen than your rear view mirror, so there's no need to dismount it.

Jokiin, as an avid Blackvue buyer I have recently heard good things about your company.

Are there any talks of you all making a blackbox WITHOUT a screen?
I love the performance of your cams, but I am saddened that they are so large.

Jokiin, as an avid Blackvue buyer I have recently heard good things about your company.

Gee, the SG9665GC seems pretty small and discreet even with a screen. It may not be as small as a Mobius but it can hardly be described as "large".

Only large to me if all of its footprint is in plain view, me personal i have a dotted area on top of my windscreen in fromt of the mirror, so i just have the bottom tilting lens part peeking out below the dots :)

Only large to me if all of its footprint is in plain view, me personal i have a dotted area on top of my windscreen in fromt of the mirror, so i just have the bottom tilting lens part peeking out below the dots :)
Agree with this. Here is how mine is going to be as it's permanent home - on the underside of the plastic housing that holds some of the vehicle electronics. From the driver's position you can't see it at all, from the front it's almost invisible as it blends into the mirror. The G1W will be relocated to be used as a rear cam as soon as I figure out a good mounting location/method.
IMG_4981.JPG

This is how I have mine. More discreet than the Blackvue. Alternative would be to run some sort of black strip inside on top of windscreen say 150mm x 60mm which would darken that area of windscreen and hide the GC. Some cars unfortunately very hard to hide any dash cam.

Gee, the SG9665GC seems pretty small and discreet even with a screen. It may not be as small as a Mobius but it can hardly be described as "large".
Agreed. Opened the box when I first got mine and thought the thing was missing as I couldn't find it :confused:

My brain was expecting to search for something much larger so I couldn't see the little thing hiding away :D

Your comment is relevant to many DashCams, but not to this one. One of it's main attractions is that it looks like OEM equipment, so is largely invisible to opportunist thieves. It's no more likely to be stolen than your rear view mirror, so there's no need to dismount it.

It might very well look like OE in some motors but not in mine even though I consider the installation to be reasonably discrete that is without 'modifying' interior trim unfortunately it is made more visible as the RVM is Grey.

The second reason (the first being after sales support) for purchasing this model was the overall form factor not for its discreteness as there are much smaller DC's available. I do agree it is a 'real neat package' and in my case quite unobtrusive from within the car with the cables hidden/tucked away neatly there is little to suggest what it is. However my eagle eyed neighbour recognised what it was but then again he would given his profession so taking note of his comments and my desire to ensure no sweaty thief gets his (or her) mitts on my treasured bits:) then that is what I will be doing believe you me when I say it would be a lot easier to take the camera than get the RVM out of this motor.

The power adapter of the SG9665GC looks pretty beefy. Am I correct in assuming it's regulating down to 5V instead of supplying the bare 12V from the car?

In other words, to hard-wire the camera I'll have to get the hard-wire kit ... I can't just take apart the power adapter and solder it to an add-a-circuit like I could with my Lukas camera, right?

Correct the cig adapter is converting 12v to 5v mini-USB power. The GC doesn't accept 12v straight in like the Panorama. The new hard wire kit I just posted about also converts 12v to 5v and adds BDP

My cam has arrived! Can't wait to get home and check it out. It'll most likely be Sunday until I get time to install it in my '14 Accord Sport.

Had mine a week now. Temp installed into the truck first and run it all week. very pleased with the quality of the camera itself, and the video from it. Thought at fist all the bits and bobs were OTT until I started installing. have used some of all the bits. Temp installed with double sided foam tape to enable locating best view ahead ( moved it down the screen 3 times before I was happy ) now the cable cover fits perfect and looks well fitted.
initial setup was easy though the introduction infers that it should work from the box, mine did not due I think to the SD card requiring formatting. not mentioned in the instructions which would have had me up and running first time.
The only other very minor problem encountered was due to using the camera without the GPS attached. As I fiddled with it I must have changed the year in the date advancing it to 2016. next day attached GPS setting date auto,I only had one new file . the last recorded and and the rest of the card dated 2016.
Other than the two very minor problems ( caused by my fiddling about with it ) It has been very easy to use, and produces very good recordings. the only real down I found in the truck situation was the emergency save is to far away to operate while driving, an extension cable button would solve it but every situation can not be catered for. My own solution has been to put a 64GB card in to allow a full shift to be recorded without being over written.
All in all very happy with my purchase.

Alternative would be to run some sort of black strip inside on top of windscreen say 150mm x 60mm which would darken that area of windscreen and hide the GC. Some cars unfortunately very hard to hide any dash cam.

Yep........ A small strip of tint with your own cut-out for the camera is the go

A screenless version is on the cards, even the version with screen is much smaller than it looks though

Agree with this. Here is how mine is going to be as it's permanent home - on the underside of the plastic housing that holds some of the vehicle electronics. From the driver's position you can't see it at all, from the front it's almost invisible as it blends into the mirror. The G1W will be relocated to be used as a rear cam as soon as I figure out a good mounting location/method.
View attachment 12446

I can see that you have room about 2-3 cm to move it even higher, just under the line where dotted area ( sun-shade ) of RV mirror ends. This way footprint of SG will be twice less than it's now ;)

SERIOUS??? have you actually seen one for real?? if not go have a look at one or even my pictures a few pages back comparing them to blackvue sizes. should not be any comparison, these new cams are leaps ahead of any blackspew in both performance and size and they are cheaper and far better support.

SERIOUS??? have you actually seen one for real?? if not go have a look at one or even my pictures a few pages back comparing them to blackvue sizes. should not be any comparison, these new cams are leaps ahead of any blackspew in both performance and size and they are cheaper and far better support.

Agreed. I mentioned to Jokiin in PM nearly a week back on how small it was. The Blackvue seems clunky in comparison.

the form factor is obviously different but it is deceptively small, we get similar comments all the time from people that it's much smaller than they thought once they actually see it

Back