Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

got a link to the power supply and cables that you're using?

the power adapter:
61rPlwQ1BpL._SL1000_.jpg

the cables are these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5449&seq=1&format=2

sorry for the image size didn't know how to shrink it.

not familiar with the adapter, the rated output I'm not so sure about

cables look good on paper, the price though looks too good to be true

anyway see how you go once you've tried the original adapters, one cam at a time etc and see how it fares

not familiar with the adapter, the rated output I'm not so sure about

cables look good on paper, the price though looks too good to be true

anyway see how you go once you've tried the original adapters, one cam at a time etc and see how it fares

Monoprice has always been a good source for cables along with good pricing. I've never had any issue with purchases from them and I've purchased several HDMI cables in the past.
I will advise back once i've had the chance to test the reception with cable changes. may not be for a day or two.

as I said the cable looks good on paper, not sure how they do it at that price, that's very cheap, no complaints if it's a good cable of course

Sorry if this is long-winded.

First, thanks to Jon and Pier 28 for sending out a replacement GPS logger. I had issues with mine from Day 1. I think it was shoddily manufactured. The replacement worked as it should and as an added bonus, the cable was a bit longer.

Second, I was hoping to get some insight on how the camera saves files. I assumed that the camera would record in X minute intervals as programmed in the menu (set at five minutes in my case) and that if the "save" button were pushed it would save the interval up until that point and then start a new file. What I've seen on my end is, for example, a file being three minutes into a five minute interval, me pressing the "save" button and the file saving all the way through the five minute interval. Is this proper function? This leaves me having to search for the incident within the video file versus being able to go the end.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Excellent thanks for the update. GPS cables will be improved in the next batch. The GPS problem is not wide spread thankfully. (GPS cables came from a different factory)

Your description on how the save/lock works sounds normal. We are already discussing how to improve this in a future firmware release. After the basics are confirmed and or optimized. (Stability and picture quality) innovation is next. We have a nice wish list already. And what you asked for is already on it.

Thanks for the information! As others have reported, the camera functions beautifully and the day/night quality is remarkable, as is the sound quality. Can't wait for the tweaks!

Thanks again!

Just put a CPL filter on the 9665GC, this was not easy, or possible to do as planned, for sure not meant to be fitted with one.

And i am still not sure if it will fit on my windscreen, will have to try that out tomorrow / later today. ( 4:15 Am here now )

Just put a CPL filter on the 9665GC, this was not easy, or possible to do as planned, for sure not meant to be fitted with one.

And i am still not sure if it will fit on my windscreen, will have to try that out tomorrow / later today. ( 4:15 Am here now )

Could you please show us this DIY Project?

as I said the cable looks good on paper, not sure how they do it at that price, that's very cheap, no complaints if it's a good cable of course
Sorry Jokiin, didn't mean to sound defensive. I agree that the price is low, I was very surprised by it as well. I really never even checked anywhere else for the cables / pricing, I just went with monoprice based on previous experience. They could very easily be bad cables. I'll do the troubleshooting it turns out the cables could be the problem I will go look elsewhere for another set.

I already know that the cable which came with the unit is not long enough atleast for the rear unit, the front one just might make it. But again I'm getting ahead of myself.

I do thank you and appreciate all your help. Customer support from you and Jon is just great.

Sorry Jokiin, didn't mean to sound defensive. .

I didn't take it that way at all, no need for apologies, we're here to help

the included power adapter has 4 meters (about 12ft or so) of cable, probably about as long as we can go without going overboard for most installs, for test purposes as long as you can get power to the camera even if the cables aren't long enough to tuck away should be ok

I didn't take it that way at all, no need for apologies, we're here to help

the included power adapter has 4 meters (about 12ft or so) of cable, probably about as long as we can go without going overboard for most installs, for test purposes as long as you can get power to the camera even if the cables aren't long enough to tuck away should be ok

Thanks. Yeah the supplied cable is plenty long enough for test purposes it's a direct straight line plugin. It's the routing to hide the cable makes it come up too short.

By the way, for my own info. Do the supplied cables have ferrite cores? Just want to make sure if I'm testing apples to apples. I'm not an engineer so don't really understand this whole interference. Is the purpose of ferrite cores to block the radio interference? Just trying to get a handle on what I'll be looking for in testing, if I swap cables and the outcome is the same I still won't know if it's the DVR control unit itself or the cables.

Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a mold hill.

no ferrite on the included cable, would get in the way of the cable cover if we did, using the included adapter is really about finding out if the cig adapter you're using now is clean or dirty

you could also plug that cable you have into a USB power bank to run the camera independently of the cars electrical system to bypass the adapter for testing

Had the chance to check out the camera in the dark for the first time last night. Pretty impressive considering the total lack of light on this country road, apart from the headlights :cool:

I have been always telling, that true night comparison / judgement should be made not in the city with tons of street lights and billboards, but on country side roads or in very little lit areas. Only then can say the true value of the product.

P.S. - if you try those settings I used on VLC filter, you will be even more impressed how much more is "hidden" on the back ground of the Sony Exmor sensor.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...h-more-details-from-night-video-footage.8255/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been always telling, that true night comparison / judgement should be made not in the city with tons of street lights and billboards, but on country side roads or in very little lit areas. Only then can say the true value of the product.

P.S. - if you try those settings I used on VLC filter, you will be even more impressed how much more is "hidden" on the back ground of the Sony Exmor sensor.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...h-more-details-from-night-video-footage.8255/
Thanks for that, I'll give them a go

Last edited by a moderator:
reading license plates of oncoming cars, increase the speed

raw: https://yadi.sk/i/h2MIU2Alfw2tj

e54449b77d09.png

70bd5f5a8441.png

f8fa6a6cae65.png

0dcd023ede1e.png

01e33109135c.png

e1b4a7f15ccf.png

Great job.
It's a sad that all motorways here where allowed speed is 120Km/h they are divided with the barrier in the middle for one way traffic in each direction, so I can not test oncoming traffic at those speeds.

So far I've been very pleased with my SG9665GC but it will come as no surprise to anyone that on a cloudy, overcast day license plates become much harder to capture at speed.

cloudy.jpg

plate.jpg

Edit: It doesn't help that license plates and lettering are much smaller in the US than in the EU.

Back