Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

So far I've been very pleased with my SG9665GC but it will come as no surprise to anyone that on a cloudy, overcast day license plates become much harder to capture at speed.

View attachment 12783

View attachment 12784

Edit: It doesn't help that license plates and lettering are much smaller in the US than in the EU.

Light conditions plays big role in numberplates readings vs speed.

Indeed.

Here on roads where i and oncomming traffic both do 80 km/h and often more not least on the part of the oncomming traffic :rolleyes:

Works pretty good even in less than optimal conditions, though the cars with yellow plates ( lower tax ) can be tricky in less then optimal conditions.

We do have motorways where the center is pretty narrow and the guardrail is low too, i might be able to do a 130 Vs 130 km/h capture there one day. ( thats 80.7 MPH for our American friends )
https://www.google.dk/maps/@55.8737...m4!1e1!3m2!1sv-T3_0dStDxWYzQsNnq-3Q!2e0?hl=da

@stfl97, have you made any progress towards a solution for the FM radio interference you were experiencing? I got around to mounting my SG9665GC in my car today and found I have the same problem. When plugged in, FM stations are either weakened or lost entirely. They come back when I unplug the camera (by unpluging either the 12V or 5V end of the adapter). I also noticed the interference goes away if the camera is lowered onto center armrest, but comes back when I hold the camera at rear view mirror level. I also tried powering it with one of my Garmin GPS power adapters and the same thing happens. I do not get interference when I use the camera adapter to power my Garmin (with the Garmin anywhere in my car).

This makes me think that the camera is the cause and not the adapter. I have a ferrite core I can try in addition to another adapter with an integrated ferrite core...that is, if I can find them.

My vehicle is a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. The FM antenna is located at the rear on top of the roof, nowhere near the camera.

Nope. No windshield imbedded antennae. It's roof mounted and all the way to the rear. What's strange is that the higher I hold the camera, the worse the interference is.

I see. Well, it seemed like a good question to ask in the pursuit of a simple explanation. My antenna is external but on the front of the vehicle. No problem with FM signal.

Last edited:
I just tried placing a ferrite core on the power adapter cable. The ferrite core was large enough to allow several windings through the core. It had absolutely no effect.

I just tried placing a ferrite core on the power adapter cable. The ferrite core was large enough to allow several windings through the core. It had absolutely no effect.
Whereabouts on the cable did you put the ferrite?

I'll get @Pier28 to contact you with some other things to try

I placed it towards the 12V plug end. The rest of the cable isn't accessible since it's tucked under the A-pillar trim and edge of the head liner. I can try using my other power adapter and place it near the MiniUSB end to see it that eliminates the interference...

I placed it towards the 12V plug end. The rest of the cable isn't accessible since it's tucked under the A-pillar trim and edge of the head liner. I can try using my other power adapter and place it near the MiniUSB end to see it that eliminates the interference...

Needs to be near the miniUSB end or it won't work. I just sent you a PM as well for another few things to try.

It didn't work at the miniUSB end, though that was with my other adapter. I'd have pull the cable out from under the head liner to try it with the OEM adapter, but even if that worked it wouldn't be a workable solution since the core won't fit under the headliner or under the cable cover.

It didn't work at the miniUSB end, though that was with my other adapter. I'd have pull the cable out from under the head liner to try it with the OEM adapter, but even if that worked it wouldn't be a workable solution since the core won't fit under the headliner or under the cable cover.

Hello here is an update. We called a pro install shop that already talked to the head of the technical department of Hyundai. The 2014 Santa Fe actually has a non-amplified antenna in the back. There are a grouping of electronics at the top of the roof that is inductive to noise. The install shop said they have had several DashCam installs on Santa Fe and they all resulted in FM noise. Please note these were not Street Guardian products as well. This means you'll most likely have FM interference from any DashCam you install unfortunately. (Trial and error).

Last edited:

My footage of the day. Luckily, I was just cruising slowly , otherwise it could be....

Do you think the exposure is a bit over? Or because I aim the camera too low or too high, causing over-exposure?

You should at least honk that guy, let him know what he did was dangerous, otherwise he will do the same stupid thing again and get himself killed next time.

@stfl97, have you made any progress towards a solution for the FM radio interference you were experiencing? I got around to mounting my SG9665GC in my car today and found I have the same problem. When plugged in, FM stations are either weakened or lost entirely. They come back when I unplug the camera (by unpluging either the 12V or 5V end of the adapter). I also noticed the interference goes away if the camera is lowered onto center armrest, but comes back when I hold the camera at rear view mirror level. I also tried powering it with one of my Garmin GPS power adapters and the same thing happens. I do not get interference when I use the camera adapter to power my Garmin (with the Garmin anywhere in my car).

This makes me think that the camera is the cause and not the adapter. I have a ferrite core I can try in addition to another adapter with an integrated ferrite core...that is, if I can find them.

My vehicle is a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. The FM antenna is located at the rear on top of the roof, nowhere near the camera.

I just noticed this post. Just as an fyi, the cables I have to both my cams came with ferrite cores.
Now my car has the amplified antenna in the rear at the tail end of the car so when I finally do test i'll disconnect the rear cam first. I'll try later today to find a weak FM signal area and do a diagnostic. When I first noticed the problem I was on a joy ride and a good 40miles from home the problem persisted for quite a long time which is why I noticed.
Problem for me is I need to travel to an area where the signal gets weak and that's about 15 or more miles away. That's part of the reason I haven't spent too much time on it. I can say that it doesn't seem to interfere in areas where there's good FM signal.

FM issues: - I have had the same problem and have been in touch with Niko who kindly sent me a couple of those ferrite things so today - Monday 13th fitted one to the power adaptor/plug end and have had a reasonably good outcome after a very short trial, fitting the other will be a bit more of a challenge if at the same time wanting to keep the cables hidden away. As I say have only checked it for a short while so nothing definitive yet.

BTW the antenna is embedded in the rear screen.

Niko if you really want to get some number plate shots and the central reservation barrier is a problem try driving the wrong way and you will get lots of number plates pics and a video of silly drivers trying to avoid you as they will not know you are on a mission to satisfy an inquiring mind or two...:eek::rolleyes:

Niko if you really want to get some number plate shots and the central reservation barrier is a problem try driving the wrong way and you will get lots of number plates pics and a video of silly drivers trying to avoid you as they will not know you are on a mission to satisfy an inquiring mind or two...:eek::rolleyes:
I dont even know any more what is wrong or what is right side ? Some say my car has a steering wheel on the wrong side and "we all here" driving on the wrong side ;)

Back