Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

ok, if we have people in fringe areas that were noticing it we'd probably look toward them for some field testing, why I asked

Actually, it's a funny thing living in a mountainous/hilly region. Either you're driving along sometimes bringing in stations from urban areas hundreds of miles away and then you drive down into a valley on your way to your destination and all of a sudden you can hardly pick up local stations. Cell service around here drives people nuts!

Anyway, at this point, as far as I've noticed when an FM signal fades out I don't hear any extraneous interference. I'll tune in to some distant stations and see what happens.

we're trying some things here now that might improve this for people that are in low reception areas, still a few weeks away but once that's done I'll get @Pier28 to get in touch with you, can you make sure they have your contact details so we can keep you updated on that
Thx Jokiin, I think Jon has my contact info but in anycase he could always leave me a pm. I'll have to modify my habits a bit since I don't always login when i check these threads, guess i'll login more often.
I neglected to mention one thing I noticed in my testing. In my tests when i disconnect power to the GC the FM signal returns, but when I reconnect power I noticed a 10-15 second delay before the interference starts back up again. I should have mentioned this earlier, I was just focused on the cables that I simply forgot to mention it. I really don't want to purchase another Cam unit just to test, mainly cause I won't know if the RFI is inherent in these things or not.

Thanks

Fred

OK, I just returned home from a 50 + mile round trip outing through a lot of varied terrain where I checked out my FM radio signal by slowly tuning up through the dial from station to station . Whether the stations were powerful, weak but listenable or completely unintelligible there was no detectable RF interference from any of my dash cams. As it happens, I was running my usual current "fleet" of four dash cams plus a 5th Mobius C I've been testing out. Two of these cams have GPS and each locks on and pulls in satellites with ease.

At this point, my thinking is that if I can't hear any interference on my FM radio with 5 dash cams running simultaneously the problem is more likely to be with the particular radio being used than with the SG9665GC itself. Sometimes, this kind of radio interference can be traced to a loose or otherwise improperly connected or wired antenna.

Last edited:
for any aftermarket electronics there can be challenges with vehicles that use in glass antenna or a factory amplified antenna, I ran a car audio shop for 10 years, familiar with some of the challenges with different vehicles, unfortunately the best type of antenna is the telescopic type mounted to the body of the car, pretty much dead in the automotive world for 20 years or more as they just don't look at nice

For Australian residents only: I saw this deal with Autobarn posted at OzBargain website this afternoon: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/192355 It says if you sign up to Autobarn's AutoClub, you can get 20% off your next purchase (regular priced items only), so may be you can get this SG9665GC for $289, minus 20%, for $231? Check to confirm with your local Autobarn stores (not all Autobarns, only a few of them sell SG9665GC) :)

for any aftermarket electronics there can be challenges with vehicles that use in glass antenna or a factory amplified antenna, I ran a car audio shop for 10 years, familiar with some of the challenges with different vehicles, unfortunately the best type of antenna is the telescopic type mounted to the body of the car, pretty much dead in the automotive world for 20 years or more as they just don't look at nice

Jokiin, I'll add one more potential piece that could be causing issues. My car has Onstar with an antenna on the windshield, I don't use it and never activated the Onstar account. But my understanding is that even though I don't have an active account the unit in the car still communicates with the Onstar system. As soon as I can I'll remove the Onstar fuse and see if it makes any difference.

Fred

hey jokiin, you ever thought of ebay'ing this cam?? see if you can get some of the tight asses to get a decent cam and not $30 chinese crap.

We rarely sell anything on eBay these days. eBay isn't what it used to be years ago.

I know what @wozzzzza is saying, it's still quite popular in Australia, we will have some online purchase availability in the near future, website is currently being rebuilt and this functionality will be available once completed, just for Australian domestic market purchases, we get a lot of enquiries from areas where we don't have dealers so it's really just about serving those customers and also making spares and accessories more readily available for any existing customers

I had this bird trying to dive bomb me earlier (the time was out for a few seconds as I've forgotten to set the timezone since the last upgrade!

As a bonus this is after the camera had been sat in a hot car all day - no issues with focus here :)

Frame 2015.05.01 23-06-34 (0-00-59.492).jpg

Loved the bird photo. I have an entire collection of similar bird and wildlife captures from my CCTV cameras. Living in a rural forested area there are sometimes remarkable surprises. A pair of coyotes likes to come and just sit by my house in the middle of the night and a female grey fox is a regular visitor. A mink came to hang out on my deck several times this winter time. Bats get captured by the camera, as well as insects.

Question for jokiin or anyone else who can answer.

Having an older car I do not have any USB ports in the car, just the cigarette lighter style accessory port, so if I use the power lead supplied with the unit then I have no other ports available. However, if I use a double USB port adapter in the cigarette lighter accessory port then I can have an extra USB available for my phone.

Now bear with me as electrical power, eg. volts, amps ohms, watts and etc. was never my strong point (even after reading the water through the pipe analogy). The power cable that came with the SG9665GC says that it supplies 5v 1.0A, so my question is, can I plug the SG9665GC into a USB port that supplies 2.0A, 2.1A or 3.1A without doing any damage to it (or must it be 1.0A or less only)?

a higher powered adapter should cause no problems, a lot aren't capable of what they're rated at or they only do rated output when used individually rather than when both ports are being used, something to be aware of

Thanks for that jokiin, just wanted to double-check first and yes I had read that a lot of these adapters were rather optimistic in their rated outputs:)

I use this one with the SG9665GC:

http://www.scosche.com/usb-car-charger-dual-port

It works fine - I did find out last week that they kill DAB radio in my folks VW though so if you have DAB you may want to investigate more USB charging options. The same Scosche adaptor hard wired into a Lukas LK290 worked fine with DAB radio though in the same car!

Back