Street Guardian SG9665GC version to compare to the Rexing V1

TechnoBuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
** Update 6/16 **

Rexing reached back to me after I contacted them about my battery issues and stated it wasn't the norm. They have shipped an me -- free of charge -- as new V1 dash cam and are paying for me to return my old one back for testing.

Can't complain about their customer service for a $100 dash cam cam now can I?:)

--------------------

I am aware these two dash cams aren't in the same league (I have read on the specs a little), and I believe the B40 is a closer competitor. But would it be possible for the makers of the Street Guardian to bring a smaller package of the SG9665GC to be better priced against the V1?

I have had the V1 for 6 months now and so far the folks at Rexing have done a good job with the firmware updates. But I have a some gripe on the day & night time video quality. Specifically, the vehicle license plate legibility during a normal sunny day. For the $100 price I paid, it's not bad but I wouldn't mind shelling a little more $$ to get sth clearer. I have played a couple of the videos from the dash cam on my laptop and I can barely read the license plate of a car 5-10ft in front of my SUV. Any advice @Sunny?

Also, my Rexing V1 can't even hold a charge anymore! I presume this has to do with my running the dash cam for hours and the internal battery losing it's capacity in the heat.

Thus, I was wondering @jokiin or @Pier28 , would it be possible if in the future, the SG9665GC came in a smaller package content that lacked the GPS (which I never care for), OTG card reader, 32gb card -- anything but the bare minimum -- to say bring the price down to around $150-60 (notice I don't suggest it should be same as the Rexing as I understand the SG9665GC is superior in the sensor, processor & supercapacitor dept.)

Last edited:
Where are you located, sorry I'm on mobile at the moment and it doesn't give me that detail

I currently have a review of the Rexing on Amazon -- the highest ranked one in case you want to read it...

Does it still merit a 5 star review, with a prematurely failing battery & your dissatisfaction with the video quality?

Does it still merit a 5 star review, with a prematurely failing battery?
I haven't updated my review yet. I contacted Rexing CM support to see if this is normal (to make sure I didn't get a bad equipment) and although they respond quickly, their answers have been "blanks". Considering everything else on the dash cam works as expected, I have to assume the internal batteries they use are inferior.

I live in the south east region & our heat is nth compared to Texas summer heat. So it's disappointing that the cam can't even stay turned on for more than 5sec even though the battery icon says it's fully charged.

I intend on updating the review in the coming days. :)

Last edited:
Does it still merit a 5 star review, with a prematurely failing battery & your dissatisfaction with the video quality?

And that is why I stopped writing reviews for any products I had purchased. Items such as dashcams can have a wow factor when new worthy of a '10' but later are found to have so many flaws or such serious flaws that it makes the item not worth having at any price.

A battery which won't hold its charge after just a few months of use is unacceptable in any dashcam because without the buffer of the battery power when the car loses power in an accident (or when engine is switched off immediately after an accident) the cam probably won't be able to save that all-important last file showing what caused the accident.

I am aware these two dash cams aren't in the same league (I have read on the specs a little), and I believe the B40 is a closer competitor. But would it be possible for the makers of the Street Guardian to bring a smaller package of the SG9665GC to be better priced against the V1?

I have had the V1 for 6 months now and so far the folks at Rexing have done a good job with the firmware updates. But I have a some gripe on the day & night time video quality. Specifically, the vehicle license plate legibility during a normal sunny day. For the $100 price I paid, it's not bad but I wouldn't mind shelling a little more $$ to get sth clearer. I have played a couple of the videos from the dash cam on my laptop and I can barely read the license plate of a car 5-10ft in front of my SUV. Any advice @Sunny?

Also, my Rexing V1 can't even hold a charge anymore! I presume this has to do with my running the dash cam for hours and the internal battery losing it's capacity in the heat.

Thus, I was wondering @jokiin or @Pier28 , would it be possible if in the future, the SG9665GC came in a smaller package content that lacked the GPS (which I never care for), OTG card reader, 32gb card -- anything but the bare minimum -- to say bring the price down to around $150-60 (notice I don't suggest it should be same as the Rexing as I understand the SG9665GC is superior in the sensor, processor & supercapacitor dept.)
Sunny and 5-10ft should not be any issue to read plates for V1 but SG should be definitely better. Battery on dashcams usually go out after a year or so depending upon weather, too hot/cold tend to kill battery sooner but I think replacements are available for few bucks.

2015_0528_170926_025-mov_20150528_222508-831-jpg.13715

A battery which won't hold its charge after just a few months of use is unacceptable in any dashcam because without the buffer of the battery power when the car loses power in an accident (or when engine is switched off immediately after an accident) the cam probably won't be able to save that all-important last file showing what caused the accident.

Considering the $99 price point, the Rexing V1 is a much better option than several other dashcam around or below the $100 range. Before choosing this dashcam, I wen thru hundred of reviews on other dashcams (especially the reviews with later updates). Thus I still have no regrets. I just don't think it's a 5-star dash cam anymore (4-stars IMO) due to the battery issues.

Also, I have my dash cam hardwired to a switched & constant +12V source (thanks to @jokiin for the idea), so the lack of battery capacity isn't the end of the world for me as I usually have the switch set to constant when heading out & back to switched once am back home. But ofcourse I owe it to the other Amazon customers to inform them non the less.

Sunny and 5-10ft should not be any issue to read plates for V1 but SG should be definitely better. Battery on dashcams usually go out after a year or so depending upon weather, too hot/cold tend to kill battery sooner but I think replacements are available for few bucks.

@Sunny, pls can you share what exposure setting you have or had the Rexing on? My videos aren't that clear. Also, do you have WDR on?

Thanks

@Sunny, pls can you share what exposure setting you have or had the Rexing on? My videos aren't that clear. Also, do you have WDR on?

Thanks
WDR on, everything else at default, 0.
Make sure to clean the lens and windshield.

Considering the $99 price point, the Rexing V1 is a much better option than several other dashcam around or below the $100 range.

The V1 is currently available at Amazon UK for $58 (£40). It's a reasonable choice at this price. At $100 it makes no sense to me when dashcams like the $69 Mobius, $75 A118C & $90 BlackSys CF-100 are available.

As for a camera with a failing battery & unsatisfactory image quality meriting a 4 star review, you're easily pleased. 3 stars would be generous. Just as well that I pay more attention to the 2 & 3 star reviews. Not that I would ever buy a dashcam on the strength of Amazon reviews, when I can get the advice I need here at DCT.

The V1 is currently available at Amazon UK for $58 (£40). It's a reasonable choice at this price. At $100 it makes no sense to me when dashcams like the $69 Mobius, $75 A118C & $90 BlackSys CF-100 are available.

As for a camera with a failing battery & unsatisfactory image quality meriting a 4 star review, you're easily pleased. 3 stars would be generous. Just as well that I pay more attention to the 2 & 3 star reviews. Not that I would ever buy a dashcam on the strength of Amazon reviews, when I can get the advice I need here at DCT.

A cam is barely worth having if it has a significant chance of not capturing that brief, unexpected but crucial moment. I'll take the highly reliable but average video quality of the CF-100 over the high video quality but questionable reliability of a NB402G.
I think there are many people out there with cams that have defective batteries but because they don't check their video (especially the last clip) they assume the cam is working fine - until they have a bump and find it wasn't recording.

I reckon half the time I encounter people who have a dashcam talking about their accident, it's because they're complaining that their cam didn't capture the important moment.

Clearly you have an inherent animosity towards Amazon reviews (since u keep bringing it up ever since I pointed @jokiin to my review??) and although these days the system has been saturated by 5-ratings from ppl getting items for FREE/discount, there are still many that buy the items outright and provide their honest take (such as I did for this dashcam).

Whether you deem it a 3 or 1-star device is irrelevant to me. Feel free to purchase it and post your feedback on Amazon or some other e-commerce site so the world can know how it fails to meet your high standards for a sub $100 dash cam.

Secondly, a simple search of the A118C & CF-100 & you can find worrying complaints. Here is a review on the A118C...

"Stopped working after one week of operation. Other users posted similar reviews. Started with screen getting stuck at welcome screen, then not turning on at all. Nice design though, too bad the guts gave out so quickly. Maybe i got a dud, but the problem seems to be across many devices.

When it did work for that one week. the video quality was superb. On par with models twice as expensive that i have seen. It's sleek, if you choose a discreet mounting location in your car, it's not noticeable at all.
"

Here is a review on the CF-100...

"I needed a 2 channel dashcam to replace our 3 years old cheap eBay special (which still works great by the way). So after reading the pros and cons of this camera, I figure I'll take a chance with the $90 pricing. I agree with just about everything posted here, specially the useless rear camera if you have a tinted window of any sort. That's fine, figuring I paid only $90, I can live with that. But today I discovered that the cam has experienced deformation due to heat. I live in southern California near the coast, where it doesn't get scorching hot like the desert, so this is totally unacceptable. Our old $30 eBay special dashcam, the radar detector, and phone holder all sit in the same area exposed to the same sun, and they are totally fine.

UPDATE:
So now the weather is cooler I figure the camera should be fine. Turned out the heat was coming from the camera itself. Apparently the camera heats up quite a bit during operation, specially if you left it on for parking mode. The internally generated heat was hot enough to deform the case, as mine has gotten worse since the last photos were taken. Now the pivot ball would not tighten due to deformed case, and camera would point down everytime the car hits a bump. Emailed Blacksys in Korea per their warranty instruction resulted in no response. The great warranty in the pretty instruction manual turned out to be useless. Suffice to say this is a poorly manufactured product
."

These are both top reviews (and so I didn't have to search hard to find them).

Thirdly, the Mobius form factor has nth on the wedge mounting mechanism of the Rexing or Street Guardian @jokiin offers. They both mount on the windshield directly and can easily be hidden from view.

If I had a motorcycle or wanted sth I could easily move from car to car (rentals), the Mobius would be a worthy contender.

Last edited:
A cam is barely worth having if it has a significant chance of not capturing that brief, unexpected but crucial moment. I'll take the highly reliable but average video quality of the CF-100 over the high video quality but questionable reliability of a NB402G.
I think there are many people out there with cams that have defective batteries but because they don't check their video (especially the last clip) they assume the cam is working fine - until they have a bump and find it wasn't recording.

Is the NB402G a battery?

Thanks for the advice @Sunny. I will clean it and take a look at the video after my next long drive (at least 20mins). Because right now, my video didn't look as clear as yours. I can actually make out the license plate in your snapshot.

But the battery in my Rexing V1 definitely has an issue w/ holding a charge. I will be make a video and sending it to Rexing as proof. Hopefully they rectify the issue.

Clearly you have an inherent animosity towards Amazon reviews ...

At DCT we're not impressed by Amazon reviews ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/are-amazon-reviews-trustworthy.10460/

So please don't post Amazon reviews here criticising the A118 or CF-100. We know that for every negative review there are countless satisfied owners that remain silent, as they have better things to do with their time.

The A118 has been a firm favourite at DCT for years, & remains so. The CF-100 is well respected here as a quality Korean camera that's currently being sold off at half price, as it's been replaced by a newer model. Fantastic value for money & a class above the V1.

The Rexing was reviewed here over a year ago, since when it has generated no interest. Almost everyone considering it as a purchase probably bought the A118 in preference.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Mobius ... check what you write before clicking on 'Post Reply'. Dashcams don't come much smaller or discreet or reliable than Mobius.

image.jpeg

At DCT we're not impressed by Amazon reviews ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/are-amazon-reviews-trustworthy.10460/

So please don't post Amazon reviews here criticising the A118 or CF-100. We know that for every negative review there are countless satisfied owners that remain silent, as they have better things to do with their time.

The A118 has been a firm favourite at DCT for years, & remains so. The CF-100 is well respected here as a quality Korean camera that's currently being sold off at half price, as it's been replaced by a newer model. Fantastic value for money & a class above the V1.

So now ppl who are satisfied w/ a product and go online to post their feedback in hopes of helping others w/ their purchasing decisions according to you have NOTHING better to do with their time?

What are you, a grumpy 60 yr old in wearing diapers or sth? o_O

My purchase of the Rexing V1 was largely influenced by @Sunny review as well as images. In turn when I purchased it, I at the time was satisfied with the form factor, features and image quality considering what I paid for it. Whether u feel it was too much or too little is your problem.

The Rexing was reviewed here over a year ago, since when it has generated no interest. Almost everyone considering it as a purchase probably bought the A118 in preference.

And yet it is still the Best selling dashcam on Amazon? Go figure huh?? Guess all those customers (minus the 10% that probably got it at a discount for a review), just like throwing away money huh?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Mobius ... check what you write before clicking on 'Post Reply'. Dashcams don't come much smaller or discreet or reliable than Mobius.

View attachment 23629

You would understand what I was trying to say if you quit whining about Amazon reviews and your lack of care for them and read the plain & simple english I wrote...

I clearly stated that the Mobius trumps the Rexing in portability form factor (read my last reply again). But the wedge mounting style of the Rexing allows for a more stealth look. You can barely see the body. Just the lens.

Please don't bother replying with another pompous -- We the great kings & queens here at DCT -- reply as I have better things to do with my time.

@jokiin has giving me the response I started the thread for. :)

So now ppl who are satisfied ...

See the comments by @2000rpm in Post #10 above. Good advice. In future, I suggest that you delay posting 5 star reviews about products until you've owned them for a while, & had time to discover their shortcomings.

As for being a best seller on Amazon indicating evidence of excellence ... ffs o_O

Back