Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Lens, Sony Exmor IMX322, WDR

Niko1, niko2, niko3 - you'll be at 1TB before you know it :p

When will something like this be available? Looking for all around protection :) 4 cams and one unit

When will something like this be available? Looking for all around protection :) 4 cams and one unit
I am afraid not so soon. Maybe in few years ?

I am trying to figure out how I would go about mounting the X1 on my car for a stealth install.

There is a black strip that runs from the rear view mirror to the roof liner and I was thinking of partially hiding the X1 there, (the green box in the pic) my concern I am wondering if anything around it would obscure view since it has a wide angle FOV.

X1 Mounting Question.jpg

thanks

depending on where you like your horizon in the frame, you may have a bit of the tinted/dotted area in the camera's upper view. I like my frame with 55% hood/road and 45% sky. i eventually ended up lowering my camera mount to avoid the dotted area in my frame. it shows more of my camera from the exterior but you still have to intently look for it.

I see, so maybe the top area will be affected depending on how I rotate the camera, but the black strip on the right of the lens would not be an issue in the horizontal view.

depending on where you like your horizon in the frame, you may have a bit of the tinted/dotted area in the camera's upper view. I like my frame with 55% hood/road and 45% sky. i eventually ended up lowering my camera mount to avoid the dotted area in my frame. it shows more of my camera from the exterior but you still have to intently look for it.

if you're mounting on the (driver's) side of that strip, I'd say the strip won't be in your frame at all.

Excellent. thanks, I'll will try to get it as low as possible then be further from the dots

Before removing a 3M double sided tape "red protective sticker" from camera and sticking it to the windshield permanently, FIRST you try out camera optimal position / angle by looking at the main unit LCD screen. As soon as you find a "sweet spot", make some marks on windshield around mount with standard red colour marker ( which you can wipe away later ), peel off 3M tape ptotective sticker and fix camera permanently.

Hi @niko! I know the screen does not rotate 180 degrees but is it the main unit light enough to be mounted with velcro or 3M double sided tape on the headliner? Thank you!

Hi @niko! I know the screen does not rotate 180 degrees but is it the main unit light enough to be mounted with velcro or 3M double sided tape on the headliner? Thank you!

It's not that light as it could be, due to heavy inner frame which is meant to hold a radar detector. Also challenging would be a surface area that could be holding velcro to the ceiling, because X1 main unit is "oval-shape" at the top. But there is always a way with some simple DIY. I would fin some plastic square box into which whole unit could be fitted in and stick that box to the ceiling with 3M dual lock tape, or even with screws if needed. Hope you know what I mean ?

Something like this

a1.jpg

Last edited:
The only quick and practical way I can imagine mounting to ceiling by using velcro straps is something like this.

a2.jpg

Thanks for suggestions. I was thinking to 180 degree rotate the main unit to have the flat surface facing the headliner since I can live with the upside-down screen. And to mount it before the sunglasses holder but if you say in not light enough to be mounted with velcro or 3M double sided tape, I have to forget this mounting location since I will not use screws. Too bad the main unit is so big to accommodate a radar detector that is not even included in it. So I go back to search mounting places and hopefully I will find the right one for my car.

Thanks for suggestions. I was thinking to 180 degree rotate the main unit to have the flat surface facing the headliner since I can live with the upside-down screen. And to mount it before the sunglasses holder but if you say in not light enough to be mounted with velcro or 3M double sided tape, I have to forget this mounting location since I will not use screws. Too bad the main unit is so big to accommodate a radar detector that is not even included in it. So I go back to search mounting places and hopefully I will find the right one for my car.

Ok, now I see what you mean. Yeah, upside down is more reasonable to mount. This way you have an access to ON/OFF , Emergency button on the top of the unit.
I do believe it is no problem to be attached to ceiling with 3M dual lock ( it is very strong ) or with velcro to strap around like I showed in earlier "drawing", but its all depends on what type of material is your surface of the ceiling where you will stick 3M dual lock double sided tape or velcro.

Thanks for the input niko I will do that once I have the cam.

Regarding the screen display, I also think the rotation function would be very helpful. Since the x1 is a street Guardian product could that feature not be added? Or is this out of the domain of firmware support?

Thanks for the input niko I will do that once I have the cam.

Regarding the screen display, I also think the rotation function would be very helpful. Since the x1 is a street Guardian product could that feature not be added? Or is this out of the domain of firmware support?

I think @jokiin can answer regarding Street Guardian firmware upgrade plans.

For anyone looking for mounting strips, this is a good source. You can find the clear versions of this, but I prefer the black and it's hard to find in small strips.
image.jpg

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but regarding the rotation feature it would be really great to have.

That said, I feel that I should also have reasonable expectations. I mean typically firmware upgrades IMO are meant for bug fixes, tweaks or enhancements. (like improving the picture quality)

Having the screen be able to rotate would be a completely new feature and as such would most likely not be in the agreement that SG has with the manufacture of the X1. So if it cannot be done I would not hold it against, jokiin or SG at all. Heck even without screen rotation, I still ordered an X1 today from Pier28 and am still excited for its arrival.

I think @jokiin can answer regarding Street Guardian firmware upgrade plans.

Back