Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Lens, Sony Exmor IMX322, WDR

cool, the stuff in the glove box isn't going to press up against the buttons and turn the units off are they?? or continually cause events to occur and be saved all the time by being bumped?
The units are mounted to the moving part, so the things in the glove box are at the same proximity to the buttons when both open and closed.
If the things are not pressing when I have the glove box open - they should not push when I close it, as both units and stuff just change the position angle when open/closed.
The G-sensor is inside the remote cameras and not in the units. No matter how hard I bump the units - the event is not triggered.

So should be cool?

The units are mounted to the moving part, so the things in the glove box are at the same proximity to the buttons when both open and closed.
If the things are not pressing when I have the glove box open - they should not push when I close it, as both units and stuff just change the position angle when open/closed.
The G-sensor is inside the remote cameras and not in the units. No matter how hard I bump the units - the event is not triggered.

So should be cool?
Sounds like it :cool:

cool, yeah I meant if the buttons are bumped by something moving in glove box and pressing the button, but sounds good. I cant find a place to put mine so have just left it inside the boot compartment dual locked up to the parcel shelf

Hello team,

After some time experiencing my new setup - I felt I don't like seeing a camera in my rear view mirror.
Camera has a contrast with my ivory interior and some distinct shape that I kept focusing my view on the camera.

I went to one of the crafting stores and got some various materials to make a housing for it.

Velcro has been applied around the camera and to the fabric cover, so that it could stick and keep the shape.
The side that is facing inside has a close color with my ivory interior.
The side that faces the outside is black, so that the camera is discreet on black background.

Now it looks like a typical stop sign repeater. Finally, I have some piece of mind :)

IMG_5306_1600.jpg IMG_5304_1600.jpg IMG_5309_1600.jpg
Before:
IMG_1933_1600.png

After:

IMG_5311_1600.jpg IMG_5312_1600.jpg

The new, improved lens arrived today. Many thanks to @niko for excellent support, as always.

I removed the old lens from it's mount by applying thumb & forefinger to the mount locking ring & turning it anti clockwise. Installing the new lens in the old mount was a reversal of the process. Easy.

image.jpg

Here's a frame grab from the old lens...

image.jpg

Here's one from the new lens...

image.jpg

I'd hoped that the new lens would have a narrower field of view than the old. It's too wide for my tastes. Any chance of updated firmware offering Mobius-style user-selectable FOV?

Looks good thanks for sharing the side by side frame grab. Doesn't the user-selectable FOV just crop the image? It's not like they have a mechanically adjustable lens that changes the FOV etc. I would think it makes more sense to self crop edit via computer editing.

FYI: the latest camera mount adhesive pads are now black instead of gray. (much more stealthy from the outside)

Looks good thanks for sharing the side by side frame grab. Doesn't the user-selectable FOV just crop the image?

Video in Wide Mode is captured from the 2304 x 1296 CMOS pixel array & scaled down to fit the 1920 x 1080 frame size. Video in Narrow Mode is captured from the central 1920 x 1080 CMOS pixel array, there is no scaling of the image.

I guess Russ types faster than me so he beat me to posting but that's how it works. I would add that the scaling from 2304 x 1296 to the 1920 x 1080 frame size is done via pixel binning.

I'm pretty sure the sony sensor has a lower number of pixels, but this is by design. The pixels are bigger which results in more light captured and superior night performance. @jokiin can elaborate further, as my memory/terminology might not be fully accurate on how it worked. (but that's the gist of it)

I'm pretty sure the sony sensor has a lower number of pixels, but this is by design. The pixels are bigger which results in more light captured and superior night performance. @jokiin can elaborate further, as my memory/terminology might not be fully accurate on how it worked. (but that's the gist of it)

Followup:
Here's a Q & A I had on this awhile back:

Q: Why do you consider the sony sensor superior to the aptina? isn't the sony sensor a 2mp vs. the aptina's 3mp?

A: At 1920x1080 you only use 2mp, a 2mp sensor has larger individual pixels than the 3.5mp sensor and will have superior night results.

Silly question Russ but you've got the new lens pointed higher than the old one by a fair margin - horizontally it looks very similar and if you point it down a bit to match the old one there's probably not so much in it?

Thanks, but has anyone purchased from eBay and can confirm this is good quality?

That's a local China domestic product and not our product. That one has an even cheaper heat warp susceptible lens, different firmware, different package build etc.

Silly question Russ but you've got the new lens pointed higher than the old one by a fair margin - horizontally it looks very similar and if you point it down a bit to match the old one there's probably not so much in it?

I will adjust the new lens downwards a notch or two. But new lens or old, the HFOV is too wide for my liking. There is no perfect dashcam ;)

Yes there is. Only it has not been manufactured yet.

I think the only perfect dash cam will be one you manufacture for yourself only.

we each have different ideas about what makes a good product, some people like Apple, some people like Android, some couldn't care less and don't know what all the fuss is about, it's why we have choices and choice is always a good thing

Back