Street Guardian stopped recording and then I got assaulted

Chief

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the Street Guardian SG9665GC and have been very happy with it... that is until an hour ago when it claimed the SD card was full and refused to record. This has never happened before and while the SD card was full it was not full with locked files, so it should of deleted the oldest non-locked file and kept recording. (also it's an official street guardian from their UK supplier, with an SD card they provided).

Has anyone else had this happen to them with their Street Guardian?

I've not had that happen but it sounds to me like the card has failed (possibly going into 'read only' mode). Have you tried a different card, preferably formatted in the camera?

I haven't tried a new SD card yet. I have just formatted the current SD card so will see if I get the same error later on today. thanks.

Probably the memory card has developed a fault.
It could happen in any cam at any time and is a major reason why it's always wise to have two different cams.

Did you format in camera?... or on your computer? Did you check it out on the computer after formatting? If not you should.

I haven't tried a new SD card yet. I have just formatted the current SD card so will see if I get the same error later on today. thanks.

If formatting the memory card gets everything working again it is a good sign that the card is the source if the problem. The chances that the camera is corrupting the card are quite low.

Did you format in camera?... or on your computer? Did you check it out on the computer after formatting? If not you should.

I delete the files from the SD card on my computer after it stopped working, I could see view and watch the existing videos before I deleted them.

When i put it back in my car later I will format it from the camera.

The SD card is the one that came with the camera too, so not a cheap/fake amazon one.

Make sure you're on the latest firmware update. If you're on an older firmware the card full error message was more common to pop up using the older SDK complied firmware. (with cards that have a lot of mileage on them) Also you should probably format your memory card at least a few times per year in the camera. The memory card is the weakest link and will need to be replaced at some point though

Before you do that it's probably a good idea to test it. H2TESTW_1.4 available on the SG support page is the recommended program for that.

https://streetguardian.info/support

Will do

Make sure you're on the latest firmware update. If you're on an older firmware the card full error message was more common to pop up using the older SDK complied firmware. (with cards that have a lot of mileage on them) Also you should probably format your memory card at least a few times per year in the camera. The memory card is the weakest link and will need to be replaced at some point though

Okay, I have the v3 version and only got it in January though. I'll probably buy a spare SD card then too.

If the card is at fault is it covered by the warranty?

Probably the memory card has developed a fault.
It could happen in any cam at any time and is a major reason why it's always wise to have two different cams.

At least have a spare card which you've tried and know will work handy in the car- even a smaller one will hold you over till you can get a new one. Sometimes new cards can be bad, sometimes they can develop a cam-stopping fault sooner than expected, and eventually they all will wear out. It's something easily done for free with an old still-working card when you replace one due to age and wear. Cards and PS's account for most cam failures ;) so I also have a spare PS handy too.

All my cams run FAT32 on their cards. Since I can never remember how to format cards in my Mobius without the GUI, my spare card has been formatted in that cam. If I need it in one of the 3 other types they all have screens and I can format the card in them on-the-spot :rolleyes:

Phil

...If you're on an older firmware the card full error message was more common to pop up using the older SDK complied firmware....
I've not heard of that before now. Can you share any details/specifics?

All I remember is one of the newer mid 2016'ish Novatek SDK updates allowed for greater card compatibility and more stable writing of files long-term. It might've been around the time when 200 256 GB card Support was added.

At least have a spare card which you've tried and know will work handy in the car- even a smaller one will hold you over till you can get a new one. Sometimes new cards can be bad, sometimes they can develop a cam-stopping fault sooner than expected, and eventually they all will wear out. It's something easily done for free with an old still-working card when you replace one due to age and wear. Cards and PS's account for most cam failures ;) so I also have a spare PS handy too.

All my cams run FAT32 on their cards. Since I can never remember how to format cards in my Mobius without the GUI, my spare card has been formatted in that cam. If I need it in one of the 3 other types they all have screens and I can format the card in them on-the-spot :rolleyes:

Phil

Yeah I'm looking for a good spare dashcam now, and will order some sd cards soon

H2TESTW test should show if there are any faults.
To minimize memory cards errors it is recommended to format memory card time to time inside unit. I do it about 1-2 per month but it`s all depends on size of memory and how much your dashcam is in use.
I know some time it is hard to remember to do format but I have added in my phone calender monthly reminder.

Last edited:
firmware version on the V3 will be current, this is most often a card issue, which card do you have exactly?

if you happen to use a Mac make a habit of formatting the card when you put it back in the camera

if you've deleted any files when in the computer always format the card when you first put it back in the camera

card should always be formatted in the camera, not the computer

Mac leaves a bunch of hidden files all over the card any time it reads the memory card. I forgot to mention this important troubleshooting tip to format the card in the camera ANY time a Mac has had read/write interaction with the card. As a good habit , it's probably a good idea to format the card as soon as you reinsert it back into the camera while you're at it. (Good time to do so)

firmware version on the V3 will be current, this is most often a card issue, which card do you have exactly?

if you happen to use a Mac make a habit of formatting the card when you put it back in the camera

if you've deleted any files when in the computer always format the card when you first put it back in the camera

card should always be formatted in the camera, not the computer

Okay I did a firmware update anyway, I have the Transcend 32GB (one that came with the camera). the camera is used for about an hour a day.

I don't have a Mac and had not deleted anything from the SD card before this happened.

Mac leaves a bunch of hidden files all over the card any time it reads the memory card. I forgot to mention this important troubleshooting tip to format the card in the camera ANY time a Mac has had read/write interaction with the card. As a good habit , it's probably a good idea to format the card as soon as you reinsert it back into the camera while you're at it. (Good time to do so)

Will do when I take it out in the future.

so far the card has been fine since I formatted it again. Will do the H2TESTW test next time I take it out.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight to what the issue could be, will definitely order some spare SD cards

...so far the card has been fine since I formatted it again....
That could be an early sign of pending card failure. I would keep a very close eye on it going forward and if it should happen again trash it.

Back