Techmoan Mat's new favourite dashcam

well on a offtopic note ( again )

For long we have planned on a bridge/tunnel to Germany from a island south of Zeeland where Copenhagen is located ( guess they are too stupid over there to drive west on the E 20 and then turn left when they hit jutland / E45 )
Anyway the prize for that sucker was announced in 2008 along with the proposal to build the damm thing i guess, anyway it have just been announced that the prize from 2008 is 44% off, witch mean the bridge/tunnel will be 20 billion DKkr more expensive o_O:oops::(

Guess how much i am shaking my head in disbelief :rolleyes::mad: and soon they wish for me to vote on one of those idiots,,,,,, hell no.

Last edited:
...where the camera get exposed to 0 Deg C or lower ...

That's not cold, -15F to -20F is what's needed. It was -6F when I got up this morning and it's almost spring time. :mad:

I even thought about putting on a coat to go out and get the newspaper off the driveway.

Apparently ... this camera is so good,

everyone appears naked in the footage :D

Techmoan was last seen filming on "coronation street" o_O

some don't even do that, there's a lot of product out there that has no real testing happening at all

Is there any way to find out and know who tests their dash cams?

I am sure a few manufacturers test and retest their products to make sure they work correctly. How can we know who they are? Is there a list somewhere?

Here is a good example of bad factory work. Looking at the description this really has 12 megapixels. However, it says something very different.

Last edited:
No 0 Deg C is nothing, testing down to -20 Deg C need to be done, and thats not especially cold in many places, and even "hot" some places.

I think if you do rapid tests in -20 and then let the camera get nice and warm, just to shut it down untill its -20 again before you turn it back on, might give problems with condensation build up with so short warm periods in a otherwise cold climate.
Most cars do get warm for a while in winter, so any dew buildup should have a chance of evaporating before the car is getting cold again.

Is there any way to find out and know who tests their dash cams?

I am sure a few manufacturers test and retest their products to make sure they work correctly. How can we know who they are? Is there a list somewhere?

everyone will tell you they test their cameras, what they consider testing and what I consider testing is very different though

See how it pans out, some of the cameras he's liked in the past have performed well during the short test period but have turned out to be flaky over the longer term, he does always mention that longer testing is needed to be able to vouch for reliability
Thats why i am for a month of testing :)

everyone will tell you they test their cameras, what they consider testing and what I consider testing is very different though
Maybe this community needs to set some standards (dashcamtalk approved)? Typically what i consider testing is running them daily or as close to daily as possible and checking footage every few days.

Sometimes i just leave my car outside instead of in my garage right now since its freezing winter and see how it starts up etc etc. I just do what i cant to see what could make it fail.

Maybe this community needs to set some standards (dashcamtalk approved)? Typically what i consider testing is running them daily or as close to daily as possible and checking footage every few days.

not sure that's possible or practical, there's so much that can't even be traced to the source

what I was referring to though is actual manufacturing and production quality control, in some cases it is non existent, in many cases it's poor at best, sometimes because they don't know, sadly sometimes it's because they just don't care, to many it's just a numbers game, last year they made some other product, next year they'll make something different again, there's no ownership of any problems

not sure that's possible or practical, there's so much that can't even be traced to the source

what I was referring to though is actual manufacturing and production quality control, in some cases it is non existent, in many cases it's poor at best, sometimes because they don't know, sadly sometimes it's because they just don't care, to many it's just a numbers game, last year they made some other product, next year they'll make something different again, there's no ownership of any problems

But they are all making a very healthy profit out of the "game" in that part of the world with a very large mark up on cost of production !!!

And then if we look at the end market here - a few people setting up supplying taking a much smaller %...

and a forum here with little competition with just 112,000 members bantering on about about camera stuff....

And then when interviewed half the uk population alone think it a good idea to fit a dashcam which highlights the potential of the coming market......

Looking at things objectively, it strikes me as this forum and site has the potential to make far more ££££$$$$ if it positioned itself in a more professional informative manner and those who use it as a means of publicity to gain sales and reputation should be all over the owners in driving it in more business like direction that will benefit them all as the market develops....

Enless of course, the forum is just run for fun and not £££$$$ !!!!

But they are all making a very healthy profit out of the "game" in that part of the world with a very large mark up on cost of production !!!

the profit that most work for is ridiculously small, most people would never believe just how small

There should be a "standard" for export goods. Like Japan's "J. I. S".

New video is up:

• Chipset: Ambarella A7LA70
  • Ambarella 528MHz A7LA70 chipset
  • 1/2.7" Omnivision sensor (never heard of that one)
  • Lens: 6GIR F/2.4 angle 140°
  • LCD: 2.7" 16:9 HD 960x240 LCD
  • Max Resolution: 1920×1080 30fps(20M front and back)
  • Battery: 1100mAh interchangable Li-ion (interchangeable is interesting...)
  • Lens demensions: 28(L)x28(W)x36(H) mmExternal memory: Micro SD card up to 32GB
  • GPS + speed cam: Optional
  • Interface: front cam, back cam, GPS module wired control, power in
  • AV out
  • G-sensor: Yes
Expected MSRP around 200 USD.

Moderate bitrate for the front and low bitrate for the rear.

http://www.koonlung.com/english/productview.asp?id=33

Last edited:
I posted the following in the other other K1S thread:

The K1/K1S has been out for 6 months now. I tested the K1 and it was not ready for prime time. (froze often) I haven't tried the new K1S yet.

I'm not yet sure it qualifies to my personal tastes as it stands today.

As per title, It's not the first. K1x was been presented 5-6 month ago at various shows and they started selling the K1S about 3 month ago. (K1 a few months before that)

I've also tested two other remote lens products, both 1080p and hidden unit, also based on Ambarella A7LA70. They were low bit rate from the limited Omnivision CMOS, all unstable and buggy. (firmware was not polished enough) The A7LAXX dashcam products in general will suffer until the Ambarella SDK matures.

K1S has a Low maximum VBR for the rear channel, but overall will do the job for some, however would be good to have both 13Mbps, or even better 15Mbps.

Battery operated ( not capacitor ), which is no good. This won't work for high heat cars long term.

Omnivision CMOS sensor, probably OV2710 ? Not as good as Sony Exmor, but could possibly do the job average if tuned up properly.

No parking mode.

That's a lot of money for compromises I'll have to look at it closer but that's my general opinion so far.

Apparently ... this camera is so good,

everyone appears naked in the footage :D

Techmoan was last seen filming on "coronation street" o_O

Either Techmoan has lost his marbles or is under some mysterious influence.

To be honest the video quality in poor UK daytime weather looks great on this device - it's got one heck of an angle on the lens though but I'm not sure where it's mounted as it seems to be a strange viewing angle which I think is due to where it's mounted.

I'd be happy with that to be honest - I need to have a nosey at raw video files though as Youtube on my laptop is never the best place to view videos.

Mat does like the sound of this camera - to be honest I'd say the X2 definitely has better functionality parking mode wise and once they sort out stability once and for all soon I'd suggest someone sends him a review sample and see what he says as it could generate a whole lot of sales of a product that he doesn't seem to know exists :)

he had it stuck up in the top left of the window, he did mention it was only a temp mount for testing
Ah I had the volume muted and skimmed though so that explains that one :)

I can't watch the full video at the moment as I'm recovering from 4 days in Budapest and moving video isn't what I want to be watching right now!!

That's a very random comment about SG in the comments of his review though.

Back