technical question ..

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking at the panorama x2, g90-c, or the 0806 the footage looks very fine and dandy at night time and is very impressive in the day, but there is a but...

Not one of them seems to capture number plates any further than the 3 to 4 car lengths of the best budget camera at 13% of the high spec priced above cameras...

my technical question is - given "vlc enhancement" does a fine job on the budget camera footage be it day or night ...

is it possible for it to be demonstrated the high spec cameras footage provides any additional useful evidence over and above that of the "enhanced vlc budget camera footage" of a budget camera. ?

These days 90-100usd budget dashcam can provide as good video as premium priced, in some cases even better results. Difference in price comes from built quality, battery- or capacitor use, options / functions ( like parking mode motion detection rec. etc. ).
Most dashcams videos can be enhanced on Video Editing software or Media players like VLC, but those enhancements can only bring out more background details at night, however it will not provide more fine details at numberplates readings. There are scenes where due to the nature of present dashcam technology used, can not do a magics with any "enchancements" on numberplates readings. One of the samples / explanations is HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ppl tend to focus a lot on beeing able to read licenceplates, and that is really hard for current dashcams not least when it is dark, but even overcast days can create problems for our dashcams.

But you dont really need to capture those numbers, only place where i can see that is needed is if you are parked and some one dent your car and drive away.
If you are in a accident its rare the other guy drive on, so all you need to dokument is your driving up to the accident was within the law and therefor the blame must lie with the other guy.
And if both cars is broken and stopped you can just use the cellphone to capture his licenceplate, and maybe the VIN number if its in the visibel in the window.

These days 90-100usd budget dashcam can provide as good video as premium priced, in some cases even better results. Difference in price comes from built quality, battery- or capacitor use, options / functions ( like parking mode motion detection rec. etc. ).
Most dashcams videos can be enhanced on Video Editing software or Media players like VLC, but those enhancements can only bring out more background details at night, however it will not provide more fine details at numberplates readings. There are scenes where due to the nature of present dashcam technology used, can not do a magics with any "enchancements" on numberplates readings. One of the samples / explanations is HERE.

Its good to have clarification of that magnitude...

and probably most helpful to those new to dashcams flicking through threads wondering what on earth to buy as a dashcam and how much they need to spend ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its good to have clarification of that magnitude...

and probably most helpful to those new to dashcams flicking through threads wondering what on earth to buy as a dashcam and how much they need to spend ;)

there's some $100 dashcams around that do very decent video, quite often their biggest problem though is that they just don't last

there's some very silly decisions made at times that might only save a dollar or two in total but really compromise what could otherwise be a good product

My thoughts exactly, all seems good and happy for 1, 2 months, and then boom problems.

Granted they seem to be unreliable if you read through the amount of problems on the forum but then most here whip the back off and have them in bits checking authenticity or refocusing using various degrees of skill !!!

Both my g1wh have run constant for 6 months now with the odd day off racking up over 4000 hours and the equivalent of over 100,000 miles driving and the only non problem I have had is a slightly swollen battery on the front camera and a loss of original battery capacity, but as the camera shuts down in 4 seconds it is not a problem ...

Ppl tend to focus a lot on beeing able to read licenceplates, and that is really hard for current dashcams not least when it is dark, but even overcast days can create problems for our dashcams.

But you dont really need to capture those numbers, only place where i can see that is needed is if you are parked and some one dent your car and drive away.
If you are in a accident its rare the other guy drive on, so all you need to dokument is your driving up to the accident was within the law and therefor the blame must lie with the other guy.
And if both cars is broken and stopped you can just use the cellphone to capture his licenceplate, and maybe the VIN number if its in the visibel in the window.
I have an incident on my YT channel where a campervan is overtaking parked vehicles. The van is partly over the lines & even though I get as far over as I can, our wing mirrors collide. Fortunately, the bus I'm driving has fairly substantial mirror casings. The newer buses use wing mirrors which also contain indicators, these are nowhere near as substantial - despite being three or four times dearer!
The driver of the camper didn't stop & with a closing speed of 50+mph, my Mobius didn't make much sense of the numberplate (even though it's mounted at the edge of the windscreen - so no more than 2ft away).
Had my wing mirror smashed, we'd be looking at a substantial repair bill & would have major problems tracking down the other vehicle to seek compensation.

Back