The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Thank you for all these interesting comments !

I'm just wondering if it's possible to remove the time stamp in the recorded file?

Thank you !!

Franck said:
Thank you for all these interesting comments !

I'm just wondering if it's possible to remove the time stamp in the recorded file?

Thank you !!
What would that be good for?

Franck said:
Exact Time + Distance (video) = Exact speed
You can also read that out from the video itself, if you want.

Thank you for these valuable infos.

For those who are wondering why I'm asking that question, where I live some people had kinda bad experiences with LEO's - And point is trying to reduce the risk that your camera can give them evidences against you. Obviously when you have a dashcam, you care about your safety (and the one of the others, by extension) and you don't plan to break circulation rules, but statistically a driver makes one violation every two minutes... So they'll certainley find something, if they want.

That's why the point is to reduce this risk (first step is to have short recordings and a "lock" function). So even if they take your TF card, they won't find more than 5min recordings (filling it up to 95% with a locked uninteresting scene).

Honestly, I would be ready to pay 80-100$ extra, if this DR32 came out with an AES 256bits encryption. And a ****load of people here too.

I might bite the bullet from fox offer........ though a bit late :(

Though it does say they sell it with the 2 mounts - suction AND adhesive :D

Mikk36 said:
Yes, but he want that nobody to know his speed based on some measurements.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Mikk36 said:

enjoy,
Mtz

if a trip is recorded on video then it can be calculated regardless

Speed = Distance divided by Time (S = D/T)

if anyone watches a video it's not too hard to note the time traveled between two known points (can go back and measure them later if need be), record the time taken to cover that distance and you can calculate the speed, commit an act of terrorism and this was needed as evidence I'd say they'd go to this extreme, a roadside traffic stop, I don't see it happening ever

Many years ago in Australia the police used to use a light plane and fly over major highways and time vehicles traveling between set points that were marked on the roadway, they'd use the time taken to calculate your speed and a car waiting up ahead would pull you up and hand you your ticket, do it live or do it from video it's the same formula

there are some tollways where the time is measured between entering and leaving and if the time taken shows you exceeded the speed limit then your ticket comes in the mail

Mtz said:
Mikk36 said:

enjoy,
Mtz
Each frame has timing (not datetime, but pure timing, relative to the video itself) information included, so you can still calculate the speed even without it being visible on the video.

With MP4Cam2Avi you can even create a subtitle SRT file which contains the data and time even it is not printed on video.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Subtitle.jpg
    Subtitle.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 258
Mtz said:
The manufacturer want that price, not FoxOffer. FoxOffer still want to sell the camera at $100, so try to buy it at $100 from them. :roll:

medic7000 said:
Does anyone know if there are small windshield camera mounts that bend more than 45 degrees?
Try to look at these mounts.

enjoy,
Mtz

jap.gif

Concerning the date+time frames issues - Thank you for these infos. I wasn't aware that it was anyway in the video file...

Somehow it would still be better not having it in the recording video (in case a LEO doesn't know much about technology) - But yes, it's good to know that they can recover speed very precisely whatever happens.

Is very nice you received both mounts. The big one I think is not the first version of the too big suction cup mount.
Can you post a picture with both mounts?

And your shipping was very fast.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ulrik_A said:
I had to update the firmware , because the sound was horrible.

Did update fix the horrible overgain sound?

and lol! The old mount is as tall as the new mount + camera itself... :D

Ulrik_A said:
Just got my DR32 from FoxOffer, i got 2 mounts, one big and one small , and a little blue card reader (SSK).
And the in the right corner of the screen it says "HETAI"

Payed 6/05-13 and got the item today 13/05-13 with DHL
Best deal so far :)

Will try and hide the cable in the car now, and fit the mount to the window.

Looks like Foxoffer one is actually Hetai version - the one that seems like the *original* one
:?

Will let everyone know too when mine arrive... I ordered on 10/5/13

Great shots, Ulrik. Completely agree that the silver ring around the lens makes the cam eye-catching in exactly the way it shouldn't be. It ruins an otherwise very clean and discrete install. Great news about the firmware too.

Ulrik_A said:
The latest update seem to have fixed both the color drag effect and the sound issue for me
Im using a Sandisk 32gb microsdhc class 10

One thing i dont like is that it have this "silver ring" around the lens, would be better just black.

Can upload some video clips tomorow
The color drag seems to come and go, I think it has to do with the lighting of the scenes.

Ulrik_A, why not mounted in the top most position?
I think the silver circle can be covered with black electrical tape. Also I like the Plasti Dip idea even it is expensive. For example you can paint also the rearview mirror when it is gray and not black.,
If somebody want he can disassemble the camera (sorry for the non-english language but the video is showing all the steps):
The video was about refocussing the lens.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
you think a black permanent marker would work to cover the ring?

Just received a DR32 this weekend. Very impressed with the video quality, at night especially.

The cam works well, but there were a few bugs I had to deal with:

-Once the camera began shutting on and off every second. This only happened once so it could just be my alternator having issues.
-It did freeze once, and to unfreeze it I gave it a firm tap on the side. Changed the bump to the middle setting and has not frozen since.
-Tend to hear noise thru the radio when the cam is plugged in. This may be electrical issues in the car ('99 Ford Explorer :( )

So far I am pleased with it. Hope the freezing problem does not return. Already caught some good video of SoCal drivers being SoCal drivers (peeps not looking while merging, appliance box across a freeway lane, etc.)

The price on them seems to have gone up (Got it at $99, but the reseller is now pricing them at $139)

All in all a good cam as long as you are patient with the bugs.

If you private message the ebay vendors, they will sell it at $99. ;)

Back