the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

Every time I see one of your dual camera videos, I think of this one from flitetest where they have a gopro attached to their transmitter to show you what different control inputs do to the craft.

View attachment 22092

Hmm..I can use a chest mount to have the TX in sight, it's good idea also to capture the FPV vide stream from the monitor.

Thought that I could share a picture of my RC toys.
I have a HPI BAJA 5B SS 26cc petrol engine.
Then I have a DJI Phantom 4 that I got yesterday.
It is the first time I own a drone. Some tips from the experts on how I can get the best pictures / videos?

IMG_0421.jpg

Use manual camera settings, read the manual of the Phantom and always do the pre flight checks.

nice! I like both those things.

I sold my P3 standard and bought a pro because prices are so low on them now since the introduction of the P4.

P3P by nestor panelo, on Flickr

nice! I like both those things.

I sold my P3 standard and bought a pro because prices are so low on them now since the introduction of the P4.

P3P by nestor panelo, on Flickr

Really nice effect and good looking P3P :)
I weighed between P3P and a P4 but went for P4 because it had several security features for beginners.
The difference between P3P and P4 in price was not so big only 300 euros and I got 2 batteries in the bargain.

I flew it today, it went very well, but it was very windy. Did not dare to take the chance, though I know that this can handle the wind without problems.
Had it in the air for only 10 minutes. Waiting now for sunny weather :)

Was going to ask you about interference from buildings and mobile phones. I was out today on an old airfield and had locked 19 satellites.
It was very stable and easy to fly. Had no problems whatsoever.
What do I need to keep in mind when flying in residential area(interference), or is it exactly the same principle as in a field?

Really nice effect and good looking P3P :)
I weighed between P3P and a P4 but went for P4 because it had several security features for beginners.
The difference between P3P and P4 in price was not so big only 300 euros and I got 2 batteries in the bargain.

I flew it today, it went very well, but it was very windy. Did not dare to take the chance, though I know that this can handle the wind without problems.
Had it in the air for only 10 minutes. Waiting now for sunny weather :)

Was going to ask you about interference from buildings and mobile phones. I was out today on an old airfield and had locked 19 satellites.
What do I need to keep in mind when flying in residential area(interference), or is it exactly the same principle as in a field?

I would not fly in a residential area... You don't look like an experienced pilot a dji bad things can happen... My 2 cents.

My friend have both 5T (stock ) and a 5B in allmost all aluminium.

buggy-hpi-baja-ss-alu.jpg

Turtle Racing Billet HD Front/Shock mount combo.Turtle Racing HD Rear Shock Mount.GH Billet Aluminum Rear Bulkhead.GH Aluminum Gear Box.GH Aluminum Front Shock Tower Support.GH Billet Aluminum Front Bulkhead.GH Aluminum Rear Shock Tower Support.GH billet aluminum spur gear mount.GH billet aluminum clutch bell carrier.GH billet aluminum rear hub set with 1,2,3 degree spacers.GH billet aluminum front shock tower.GH billet aluminum front upper arms.GH billet aluminum rear upper arms.GH billet aluminum front lower arms.GH billet aluminum rear lower arms.Aluminum Spark Plug Cover.GH Aluminum Front Shock Support.GH Aluminum Clutch Case.GH Aluminum Rear Shock Support..ESP Modified 30.5cc Big-Bore Combo Kit 4 HP RDLogics Aluminum Exhaust system.DDM Dominator® "FAST" Pipe for HPI Baja 5b/5t - CHROME.

truck-hpi-baja-5t.jpg

Just a little teaser for our American friends, good old BB63 in 1:128 scale, thats about 2.2 M long
baad-uss-missouri.jpg

Last edited:
I would not fly in a residential area... You don't look like an experienced pilot a dji bad things can happen... My 2 cents.

Will probably stay away from residential areas. But have you ever experienced interference (mobile phone, telephone mast, wifi etc)?

My friend have both 5T and a 5B in all aluminium.

Turtle Racing Billet HD Front/Shock mount combo.Turtle Racing HD Rear Shock Mount.GH Billet Aluminum Rear Bulkhead.GH Aluminum Gear Box.GH Aluminum Front Shock Tower Support.GH Billet Aluminum Front Bulkhead.GH Aluminum Rear Shock Tower Support.GH billet aluminum spur gear mount.GH billet aluminum clutch bell carrier.GH billet aluminum rear hub set with 1,2,3 degree spacers.GH billet aluminum front shock tower.GH billet aluminum front upper arms.GH billet aluminum rear upper arms.GH billet aluminum front lower arms.GH billet aluminum rear lower arms.Aluminum Spark Plug Cover.GH Aluminum Front Shock Support.GH Aluminum Clutch Case.GH Aluminum Rear Shock Support..ESP Modified 30.5cc Big-Bore Combo Kit 4 HP RDLogics Aluminum Exhaust system.DDM Dominator® "FAST" Pipe for HPI Baja 5b/5t - CHROME.

truck-hpi-baja-5t.jpg

Just a little teaser for our American friends, good old BB63 in 1:128 scale, thats about 2.2 M long
baad-uss-missouri.jpg

Everything in aluminum look really good.
But I have kept me away from upgrading the critical parts to aluminum as it is easier to break or get a crack.
But to maintain a 1/5 is expensive. An expensive hobbie simply, but really fun.

Your friend's cars look really good. I have to clean my and order new parts to it.

there's a lot of factors when it comes to signal. I pretty much live in a suburb in the "silicon valley" so every house in my neighborhood has wifi and we have multiple mobile phone towers all over the place. when I'm launching from my backyard, I usually get around 2000 feet of distance at 300 feet altitude before my video feed starts to cut. when I walk up the hill via a fire road just 100 yards from my yard, I can go out 3x that distance since I have much less to get in the way of my LOS. when I take a drive out to the boonies I can probably get her to go 3 miles out without interference. I've gotten much more confident in the aircraft since getting my first P3 late last year.

Yeah the all alu is no good, make the ride 2 X as heavy, i think both rides have big bore motors now, and both get driven like they was stolen.

Will probably stay away from residential areas. But have you ever experienced interference (mobile phone, telephone mast, wifi etc)?

Everything in aluminum look really good.
But I have kept me away from upgrading the critical parts to aluminum as it is easier to break or get a crack.
But to maintain a 1/5 is expensive. An expensive hobbie simply, but really fun.

Your friend's cars look really good. I have to clean my and order new parts to it.
Yes... On the Phantom 3/4 the range is heavily affected in residential areas, with standard 5.8ghz fpv one time I got TV image on my screen... Yes I'm not kidding, imagine yourself flying in fpv and after 100m of distance you starting to see football instead of your fpv feed... Just crazy. Lol

Yeah the all alu is no good, make the ride 2 X as heavy, i think both rides have big bore motors now, and both get driven like they was stolen.
Wait, you're NOT supposed to drive your "toy" cars like they're stolen??? I've been doing it wrong my whole life!! Even when I was 10 and had some cheap 49 or 27mhz "monster truck", I was always driving it off the patio, crashing into stuff, jumping ramps, running up to full speed in reverse then slamming it into forward to pop a wheelie, and generally just abusing the heck out of it. I even took it out and did donuts when our patio iced over after a winter storm.

Here is a video of my first flight with Phantom 4.

that's the perfect place for flight practice. it's so wide open. I think you should make some ramps and film your baja ripping around there!

that's the perfect place for flight practice. it's so wide open. I think you should make some ramps and film your baja ripping around there!
A very good idea. Will definitely do it :)

Interesting markings on the runway - the looping line... Do you know what that's for?
Looping line that you see on the runway is 10 cm / 4 inches of gravel. The gravel is to prohibit motorcycles / cars to drag race or just drive around and disturb nearby residents.

Yeah now if the Lego famely would just pay ther taxes like the rest of us things would be nice.

Yeah i am highly critical, all ppl should be that i think, it is proven by now that the laid back attitude sure dont work running any country.

Wow !!!!!!
All the fun stuff !

Currently have 2 9x transmitters ( Flysky and Turnigy )
as well the 9xR with Orange module and 9x modules
As well the Turnigy TGY-i10 , and the Devo 7e ( Super CP combo )
6 x 450 helicopters flying ..
One WL toys 959 bound to the i10 , as well a V911 bound to a 9x

Chargers = Imax B6 as well the Turnigy Accucell 8150

Waiting on engines to build a 250 FTP quad ...

Back