Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

I realy like this camera. 2016 best dash cam !!!!

Hope maxx price is 80-90 $

So although it has a quick release mount, am I right that it seems like you will have to change settings while it is still mounted due to it only getting power through the base?

Or are those contacts only for powering the GPS and the power for the unit is on the side you didn't show?
Many of these cameras also have power plugs on the unit for bench testing and operation without the mount. I know the mini series does, but I haven't seen one of these yet to say for sure.

Everything looks like a nice improvement over the A118. And I really like the A118. I have the Rexing version and it too has the USB connection on the side rather than the end. In my experience, its a much better location allowing the unit to snug up closer to the headliner.

The Rexing also comes with a 13 foot cable with a USB pass thru and and LED on the plug ensuring that it is connected and receiving power. Hopefully the A119 will come with a similarly long cable allowing two devices to run from the same power plug.

Am I to understand correctly that there will be a non-GPS version as well?

The non-GPS mount is thin, is keeping the lens very close to the windshield and have no connector, is the same idea as A118 mount. The A119 with the non-GPS mount is the closest lens to the windshield from any dashcam I ever met. The close is to the windshield, the better you can hide under the black dots windshield area any dashcam.
The GPS mount have its own power plug and the camera have it on the right side. The cable is angled, quality and also the dual USB power adapter which have a discrete LED.
Viofo Car Power adapter and cable.jpg
The lighter is for comparison purposes.

And now a video comparison with another 2016 dashcam which is expected to offer good image for low light situations: XiaoMi Yi vs. Viofo A119, I updated the first post of this thread. Try to watch all video, is under 3 minutes.
Some screenshots from that video:
XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_02.23_[2016.02.20_10.39.18].jpg XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_00.20_[2016.02.20_10.50.10].jpg XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_00.29_[2016.02.20_10.57.02].jpg XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_00.36_[2016.02.20_11.00.53].jpg XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_01.08_[2016.02.20_11.04.46].jpg XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_02.03_[2016.02.20_11.08.13].jpg XiaoMi Yi Dash Cam vs Viofo A119 night test 1 .avi_snapshot_02.41_[2016.02.20_11.11.41].jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
The non-GPS mount is thin, is keeping the lens very close to the windshield and have no connector, is the same idea as A118 mount. The A119 with the non-GPS mount is the closest lens to the windshield from any dashcam I ever met. The close is to the windshield the better you can hide under the black dots windshield area.
The GPS mount have its own power plug and the camera have it on the right side. The cable is angled, quality and also the dual USB power adapter which have a discrete LED.

Great. That is the best non-GPS design I have seen so far. The A118 is very discrete and this one seems the same. Very nice video so far. Hopefully released soon and I will retire my A118 to the rear windshield. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Let's get this thing out on the market so I can buy one.

Night video looks very similar to the XiaoMi Yi with the exposure/brightness turned up and the white balance a bit more yellow. It produces large flares from light sources but the entire scene is well illuminated.

XiaoMi Yi Chinese version was reviewed by Techmoan a few days ago. Seems like a nice dash cam but it has the SJ4000/GoPro form factor and I prefer the wedge designs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
So far on those screenshots, the night quality is as good as Xiaomi Yi and SG9665GC.

Do you mean it needs 2 USB power cables for the GPS mount model to operate, one for the A119 and the other one the GPS? Or it only needs 1 USB power cable to the GPS mount which powers both the GPS and A119?

"The GPS mount have its own power plug and the camera have it on the right side. The cable is angled, quality and also the dual USB power adapter which have a discrete LED."

It always need just one USB power. You can power it from the camera or the mount (when using GPS mount) or only from the camera when using non-GPS mount.
I made a request to VIOFO to include the standard mount also for the version with GPS mount just because I like so much how camera is hidden and it can enter between rear view mirror and windshield with it when using the thin non-GPS mount. I can even not use the GPS mount if I want the best position ever of my dashcam.

The dual Mini USB adapter is made with two connectors just because of people requests which don't want to block their cigarette lighter with just the dashcam because they want to charge for example their smartphone. Or if not using the dashcam to use it for other gadgets.
Also the size is Mini to not look ugly in the car or to be hidden at some car dashboards which have some little door over the cigarette area.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
It always need just one USB power."

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick clarification. Hope the manufacturer will introduce the A119 soon.

I added a day video test between XiaoYi Yi and Viofo A119, cloudy and dusk time. Some screnshots from comparison:

XiaoMi Yi Car DVR vs Viofo A119 cloudy day and dusk.mkv_snapshot_00.26_[2016.02.23_10.07.00].jpg XiaoMi Yi Car DVR vs Viofo A119 cloudy day and dusk.mkv_snapshot_01.52_[2016.02.23_10.13.24].jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

There is no screw. I don't know from what part to pull. For sure is a NT96660 version but also I would like to check.

Aptina AR0230 from looking in the firmware mate, there were a few more 9666x versions listed with a couple mentioning Yi - not sure if they've maybe got a custom one with something stripped but wouldn't that cost more than just buying the standard chipset?

they'd have the volume to justify something specific, they're all about low cost though so I can't really see that happening

Back