Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

LOL Don't you just love when companies ignore great questions? I love when they only reply to simple yes and no questions. o_O
Calm down. This is not Viofo official forum. May be he doesn't visit this forum that frequent as you might expect. Do you actually know how many forums out there where there have been discussion on car dash cams? You don't honestly expect every manufacturers to answer to every one of those forums 24/7, do you?

You don't honestly expect every manufacturers to answer to every one of those forums 24/7, do you?

Well it does appear that they seen his message....

Thank you Viofo for your response.

Calm down. This is not Viofo official forum. May be he doesn't visit this forum that frequent as you might expect. Do you actually know how many forums out there where there have been discussion on car dash cams? You don't honestly expect every manufacturers to answer to every one of those forums 24/7, do you?
Yeah my apologies. Thought they responded a few times AFTER he asked that question.

I like this idea of blinking LED, but I am afraid most of the people will not understand why is better to not blink anything when driving:

And make requests for a blinking light. :(

enjoy,
Mtz

I like the idea to grab your attention to let you know it's not recording. Generally you probably won't see that while driving, only at startup. Better than just a beep, but only useful if you can actually see the camera. If it's behind your mirror, it doesn't help much.

Yes, many people will mount it behind the rear view mirror but even with that a fast blinking light can draw attention at night time because of light reflection on some objects in the car.

enjoy,
Mtz

I currently use a DR32 dashcam. When it's recording, it blinks the same red dot on screen like in the video here. As well as it shows a constant red TINY light that stays on to let you know it's recording if you have the screen auto shut off. If you take out the memory card, the TINY red light will blink IIRC, and the screen will stay on displaying a missing memory card.

For the A119, it would be nice to replace the green led's and change them to Red. With brightness control. Constant red while recording, blinking red when it's not recording. This way, if it's blinking and recording it will be bothersome while driving. Also, an option to just turn it off would be optional if one sees fit. The smaller the red led, the better. That way it's not noticeable in your vision while driving, and only if you look directly at it. The green light in the video looked big and too much.

Looking back at the video. I'd say to remove the led out of the left button, and keep it in the center button but change to red. Recording-constant red. Not recording-blinking. Also a timer for the screen to auto shut off but I'd assume all dashcams turn off automatically after a certain time. Green will be annoying. Red is easier on the eyes and especially in your peripheral vision.

My factory sample have illuminated buttons and final version will be for sure with a lower intensity light also the recordin conditions of my previous video was not so great, but I think will remain green because are not recording LEDs.

From my tests A119 have great image maybe also because of good quality lens.

enjoy,
Mtz

Will we be able to adjust color temperature? I notice in your videos your headlights are a bit too warm on the A119 compared to the Xiaomi Yi videeo side by side.

I like this idea of blinking LED, but I am afraid most of the people will not understand why is better to not blink anything when driving:

And make requests for a blinking light. :(

enjoy,
Mtz
I like it. Perfect idea. :)

Reactions: Mtz
For the A119, it would be nice to replace the green led's and change them to Red.
The new sample have the RED led instead of green.
So I thought only @Mtz had the green LED version in the market :).

I would like to disable all led, I hate led lights. I can accept a led light only when something is working, but this is a dashcam, it start recording when I power on my car, so I really don't need another silly light in my eyes

An option to disable would be nice. The screen confirms recording then a 30 second Screensaver turns it off. LED not really necessary and can be distracting.

An option to disable would be nice. The screen confirms recording then a 30 second Screensaver turns it off. LED not really necessary and can be distracting.
As long as it's optional... I would like a solid led to let me know it's still on and that it hasn't died. Just don't make the LED one of those 5000 lumen ones. :D 50-100lm is plenty

During day no LED is visible so I am thinking if can be implemented some beep like at car seat-belts which is warning me the camera is not recording.
Of course I expect LEDs and sound to be disabled in menu. With audio warning is possible to do not want any welcome screen even for 1 second, the camera to start and stop with no lights but only the beep to warn if camera is started but not recording. My Itronics ITB-250HD have such beep which is necessary because camera is only Wi-Fi and have no screen.

enjoy,
Mtz

Until today firmware I have some news for the dashcam market:
- the infamous Novatek 1 second overlap „feature” is removed. One minute of 60FPS video have exactly 3600 frames and first frame of the next video is not a duplicate of the last frame of previous video segment.
- No Recording warning LED can be turned Off from menu
- added No Recording warning beep sound which can be turned Off from menu when turning off all camera beeps
- time-lapse recording feature starting with 200ms (I think this will be the most used). This is good for long trips because the video will be 5 times smaller and I expect some people to use the camera in this mode

enjoy,
Mtz

Until today firmware I have some news for the dashcam market:
- the infamous Novatek 1 second overlap „feature” is removed. One minute of 60FPS video have exactly 3600 frames and first frame of the next video is not a duplicate of the last frame of previous video segment.
- No Recording warning LED can be turned Off from menu
- added No Recording warning beep sound which can be turned Off from menu when turning off all camera beeps
- time-lapse recording feature starting with 200ms (I think this will be the most used). This is good for long trips because the video will be 5 times smaller and I expect some people to use the camera in this mode

enjoy,
Mtz
i think i saw in the git2 firmware thread that they killed the 1 second overlap "feature" on that camera too. this is great! wonder if they're keeping it to themselves or if it's been "upstreamed" to novatek so that novatek will include it in the SDK going forward?

One of the problems using dash cams in large trucks is the normal mounting position is further away from the driver. I have two cams in the top center of my windshield and they're 4 and a half to 5 feet away from my eyes.
The tiny LED on the mobius is hard to see in daylight in the truck, as are many of the other indications that cam is powered up and recording on most dash cams.
(flashing icon on the screen, etc)
I'd prefer 'brighter', with the option to turn them off, but then you have the possibility of not noticing a non-functioning cam due to card or other failure.
I'm so used to the Mobius with supercap occasionally not re-starting (due to power quirks in the truck) I routinely check to see it's recording when I'm moving, but sometimes forget and notice an hour later it's not recording.

The other 'nice' thing I'd like to see on cams is a larger lock or save button.
I can't always take my eyes off the road for try to find and hit the tiny buttons.
(If I remember which one it is, since I rarely use them)
:)

Back