VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

you should see on your camera screen "mass storage" when connected to Windows OS. which means your camera connected to a PC like an external hard drive.
what do you see on a camera screen when you connect it to a computer?
do you see a new "removable hard drive" in your computer?

Yeah, I'm aware of the "mass storage" screen, BUT, with the included cable, it simply didn't power up the cam at all (tried different ports, different PC).

It was clearly a faulty cable since I tried 2 others cables I have (for an older GPS and an older PS camera), and it worked.

Again, not a big deal, just wanted to report the included cable with the camera is faulty.

It was clearly a faulty cable since I tried 2 others cables I have (for an older GPS and an older PS camera), and it worked.
then congratulations to you! I had a long cable melted (miniUSB end came off) and it was replaced by SpyTec.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but today is the first time I tried to connect the unit to the PC to apply the loader/firmware update. It appears the included USB cable is faulty. No power, regardless of port. I have other cables, all of which work. Should I report the lot number, is this a common occurrence, and should I connect the seller (Spytec)? I mean, I don't really need a replacement cable, since I already have others. Just want to know if I should report this or not. Thanks!
Yesssssssssssss they will send you a replacement which you already paid for Just go on Spy Tec's chat to report

Since some of us have received the camera, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread about this.
Bug Report: Preliminary Testing - A119 AV Output with the new A119.161031_V2.0 Firmware.
The bad news: With the AV output connected, the real-time display, recording, menu, and other button functions are not useable in either the 50 Hz (PAL) or 60 Hz (NTSC) settings. The real-time image is visible but there are notable periodic interruptions (twice per second, one long and one short, for a total of 1/4 second or so) to the signal causing the display to lose sync temporarily. This interruption also seems to interfere with the button commands, menu selection, and the recording process, rendering those functions almost useless while the AV output port is connected to an external display. This is a new problem not noted in the previous firmware version. The good news: If you first navigate to the playback mode using the A119 LCD and then connect the AV output to an external display, the AV output now displays correctly for both 50 Hz (PAL) and 60 Hz (NTSC) FREQUENCY settings, and the button commands function OK within the playback mode. In addition, while in the playback mode at the 60 Hz FREQUENCY setting, the AV output video displays properly (in color, full image, no roll, no loss of sync) on an NTSC only TV, whereas before the firmware change, it did not. The FREQUENCY setting for PAL or NTSC video is a nice appreciated enhancement if the other problem can be resolved.

Bug Report: Preliminary Testing - A119 AV Output with the new A119.161031_V2.0 Firmware.
The bad news: With the AV output connected, the real-time display, recording, menu, and other button functions are not useable in either the 50 Hz (PAL) or 60 Hz (NTSC) settings. The real-time image is visible but there are notable periodic interruptions (twice per second, one long and one short, for a total of 1/4 second or so) to the signal causing the display to lose sync temporarily. This interruption also seems to interfere with the button commands, menu selection, and the recording process, rendering those functions almost useless while the AV output port is connected to an external display. This is a new problem not noted in the previous firmware version. The good news: If you first navigate to the playback mode using the A119 LCD and then connect the AV output to an external display, the AV output now displays correctly for both 50 Hz (PAL) and 60 Hz (NTSC) FREQUENCY settings, and the button commands function OK within the playback mode. In addition, while in the playback mode at the 60 Hz FREQUENCY setting, the AV output video displays properly (in color, full image, no roll, no loss of sync) on an NTSC only TV, whereas before the firmware change, it did not. The FREQUENCY setting for PAL or NTSC video is a nice appreciated enhancement if the other problem can be resolved.
Thanks for point this, it is fixed, and updated the firmware.

@5Cowbells - is a 3.5mm jack to USB MP4 cable the correct spec for A119 AV out to PC/Mac USB in viewing? Many thanks.

So, to see live view from AV out to my Macbook, what cable do I need?

Assume you want to use webcam mode (no idea if it supports this) which would just use the USB cable

@harsh - so that, when setting DIY polarising filter I can have a "cam's eye" view of the windscreen when finding best rotation of filter.

The A119's screen should suffice for setting the polariser. Get close to the screen when rotating the CPL.

The A119's screen should suffice for setting the polariser. Get close to the screen when rotating the CPL.

I can't - the mirror is in the way!
My Mac also doesn't have RCA 3.

Isn't the mirror's position adjustable?

The Mac doesn't need to have RCA's, the 3.5mm to 3 RCA connects to the S-Video and Composite device that has a USB port. You'll need to look for one compatible with a Mac though.

@5Cowbells - is a 3.5mm jack to USB MP4 cable the correct spec for A119 AV out to PC/Mac USB in viewing? Many thanks.
No. @jokiin is correct. The A119 AV port outputs 3 signals: 1) a standard definition analog composite VIDEO signal (basically a baseband TV signal) in either the PAL (50Hz FREQUENCY setting) or NTSC (60 Hz FREQUENCY setting) analog TV Standards format, 2) a LEFT channel analog Audio signal and 3) a RIGHT channel analog Audio signal. The AV output jack requires a 4 pin 3.5mm plug which most commonly breaks out into the three coaxial cables for the signals listed above, each terminating in a color coded (Yellow, White, & Red respectively) RCA phono plug and connecting to mating like color coded Video, L Audio, R Audio RCA phono jacks on the external display device. Although it's Standard Definition, the advantage is that you can connect directly to almost any external display anywhere (I'm not sure about SECAM displays) that has analog video and audio inputs. Once connected, the remote display replaces the A119 LCD in all modes.

@harsh - so that, when setting DIY polarising filter I can have a "cam's eye" view of the windscreen when finding best rotation of filter.
For sure A119 can have webcam mode but this will complicate the menu at least once, when you will connect the camera to USB you will be promted what to do: Mass storage or Web cam.

Regarding your mirror and adjusting CPL you can take the camera out from the mount and move it down with your hand and keeping it near windshield.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for point this, it is fixed, and updated the firmware.
Thanks @viofo for the quick fix. Have downloaded and installed the "new" A119.161031_V2.0 Firmware as of late 11/02/2016 PDT and had a quick look at the AV output (well..., maybe not so quick). It looks great now and the Real-time, Record, Menu, and Playback modes all function well. I even changed some settings using a remote display. I did notice one very minor problem that you might consider fixing in the future. While the AV output port is connected to a remote display in the Menu mode, making a selection for the FREQUENCY setting works OK but subsequently takes you out of the Menu mode and into the Record mode. With the AV output disconnected, this selection does not take you out of the Menu mode. Thanks again. I like.

No. @jokiin is correct. The A119 AV port outputs 3 signals: 1) a standard definition analog composite VIDEO signal (basically a baseband TV signal) in either the PAL (50Hz FREQUENCY setting) or NTSC (60 Hz FREQUENCY setting) analog TV Standards format, 2) a LEFT channel analog Audio signal and 3) a RIGHT channel analog Audio signal. The AV output jack requires a 4 pin 3.5mm plug which most commonly breaks out into the three coaxial cables for the signals listed above, each terminating in a color coded (Yellow, White, & Red respectively) RCA phono plug and connecting to mating like color coded Video, L Audio, R Audio RCA phono jacks on the external display device. Although it's Standard Definition, the advantage is that you can connect directly to almost any external display anywhere (I'm not sure about SECAM displays) that has analog video and audio inputs. Once connected, the remote display replaces the A119 LCD in all modes.
The one we used.
A119 AV OUT CABLE.JPG

Would it be possible to add support for 8x fast forward? It would really help when scanning video covering long stretches of time.

Back