Viofo A119s changes

Sometimes it's confusing when a manufacturer pushes out a new model, but it's not a clear improvement -- like two steps forward, one step back.

Making the superseded model cheaper is good, but if the price difference is minor, why not kill off the older one to send a clear message to customers the newer one is worth your money?

My guess is the A119S is not better than the A119 in every way, it's just different but shares the same shell and GPS module (later A119 units).

Viofo probably don't know which one is better either, but hoping they'll sell more units overall, while having the S as an interim model before the really improved next model. ;)
Clever couldn't have said it better.:D

I just got reply that I can still change :)
What would you do?
In daylight, the S isnt superior?

Here's my first A119 vs A119S comparision, weather has been a bit crap but here it is...

More videos and head-to-head compare videos coming soon into the following YT playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWb1jIrvNpnYA_kXWzMDfQIpKKEW2pVcS

is it just me or does the A119 night footage look better here?

maybe a better question, if you pull a frame from the video, which is better at being manipulated in photoshop to better read the plate: A119 or A119s? Perhaps the extra pixels is better for dashcam?

A119S / GPS Stock is en route from the factory to the "OCD Tronic" North America Amazon Prime store as we speak. We missed Christmas but that's what gift cards are for. (still 2016) :)
Ordered the A119S this morning. It's been a long wait since July when I first decided on the A119. At that time, I decided to wait for the CPL and the one month estimate in Aug. became over three months. By the time that the CPL became available, the A119S was soon to be release - so I waited for that. :rolleyes:

Borg if you looked at the footage comparisons A119 vs A119S what is your honest opinion. You have to ask yourself did I make the right decision.
I'm sure that it will be fine. I don't drive a lot at night.

I'm not sure it's the best thread, but I found none better.
After receiving my A119S I want to share a few notes:
  1. Someone mentioned it already, power cord should be equipped with angled mini-usb connector. Straight connector takes a lot of space making impossible to mount camera as close to window top edge as it could. Yeah I know, since one driver would like more left-sided connector while another would want right-sided one, both would be welcome. It would be nice addition. Smaller connector would do the job too. At the end we can buy an adapter on our own - problem solved.
  2. Manual states 64GB as max size of SSD. The product web page shows 128GB. Which one is "more" true?
  3. Mounting/Dismounting the device from GPS unit requires to slide it toward the roof for about 10mm. It might affect mounting position of the cam again.
  4. In menu, while setting up some values (licence plate, datetime etc), increment/decrement keys are flipped. In such case, decreasing value is achievable by pressing right key, increasing value - by left key respectively. Nothing serious but some might be surprised why year 2016 is followed by 2050 ;)
Not yet mounted in a car, but I found it very solid, well/nice packaged, quality device. thanx

I'm not sure it's the best thread, but I found none better.
After receiving my A119S I want to share a few notes:
  1. Manual states 64GB as max size of SSD. The product web page shows 128GB. Which one is "more" true?
It support 128GB card, but may be better to declare it support MAX 64GB card as we haven't tested all kinds of 128GB.

Sometimes it's confusing when a manufacturer pushes out a new model, but it's not a clear improvement -- like two steps forward, one step back.

Making the superseded model cheaper is good, but if the price difference is minor, why not kill off the older one to send a clear message to customers the newer one is worth your money?

My guess is the A119S is not better than the A119 in every way, it's just different but shares the same shell and GPS module (later A119 units).

Viofo probably don't know which one is better either, but hoping they'll sell more units overall, while having the S as an interim model before the really improved next model. ;)
For hardware, the A119S is definitely an upgrade.
For sensor, the IMX291 is the one of the best sony sensor for low light condition in the market. Other sensor factory like Aptina or OV, there is no sensor can compete with IMX291 at current. Aptina will release AR0239 2MP sensor in 2017, but as they talked, this one may close to the IMX291.
For lens, it is F1.6 7G lens from Taiwan, actually even they declared F1.5 on spec sheet.

2017 is coming, I haven't seen any new amazing technology for dash cam.

We are still working to improve IQ for A119s.

I received my A119S today. I haven't tested it out but immediately noticed the lens angle is not adjustable from left to right like the A119. Maybe it's already been discussed but a quick search didn't come up with anything. Not that big of a deal but I was curious why that feature was abandon in this version.

I received my A119S today. I haven't tested it out but immediately noticed the lens angle is not adjustable from left to right like the A119. Maybe it's already been discussed but a quick search didn't come up with anything. Not that big of a deal but I was curious why that feature was abandon in this version.

Not a surprise, it was clearly well known on these forums. Not a big deal for me, but the reason is because of the size of the new lens. Much bigger than the A119

Could be a good reason why they dropped the lens moving from left to right. Check out this video of poor video because of the lens moving about.

I just missed out and ended up with the A119 with a faulty left right lens stop. I think the ebay store may have repacked this one as the power cable bag was torn off at the top.
Another might be the amount of dash reflection that the A119 gets but this could also be because it is stuck to the windscreen. My last dash cam didn't have this problem but was a suction mount camera.

I have no faith in the quality of Viofo's A119 & A119S anymore. Maybe in time with firmware updates but now it's a work in progress
For the record, my 119 works just fine. I dont have the 119s yet so i cant say. I went through 3 microsoft surface pro's before i got a working one (700 dollar computer). Sometimes you get a dud.

yes, but the moving lens is shown in the video above from a119 without s ;)
Not a problem Frogger I myself sometimes post A119 thread info in an A119S thread.

FYI 128GB cards work beautifully in A119s. I'm using Lexar 633X. This gives me about a week worth of recordings.

Reactions: Mtz
Back